• Quick Navigation
Photo

Wooden sifter screen frames OK...or not?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

Greetings,

We are starting up a grain processing facility, and plan on using a gyratory sifter/screener that uses screens that have wooden frames (as they have for decades, and still are used in many grain and flour facilities).

We're trying to wade through all of the regulatory information out there to determine if this is going to be deemed acceptable by the FDA under FSMA (for Animal Feed; however, we may transition to Food at some point in the future).  We are not planning to pursue any other third-party certification in the immediate future, but may seek SQF certification if/when we transition to food-grade production.

The screen frames are made of hard maple, but they are not painted or coated in any way.

So, the main points here are:

1.  Is it acceptable to have wood in a food contact machine?  Is that going to change as FSMA develops?

2.  If it's conditionally OK, what do we need to do to make it acceptable?  We're wondering if maybe painting them with food-grade urethane or something like that would be acceptable?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and help!

Brian

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:20 PM

from this article

www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/GuidanceComplianceEnforcement/GuidanceforIndustry/UCM499200.pdf

Metal should not be corroded or produce shavings or have pieces that can easily break off that could introduce a physical hazard into the animal food. We recommend that equipment and utensils be constructed of materials that will not easily deteriorate under the conditions of use. For example, equipment or utensils constructed of wood or plastic should not easily splinter or break because this could introduce a physical hazard into the animal food.

and 

Animal food-contact surfaces must be made of materials that withstand the environment of their use, the action of animal food, and, if applicable, the action of cleaning compounds and procedures and sanitizing agents (21 CFR 507.22(a)(4)(i)). The material should not crack, peel, break, or otherwise cause contamination of the animal food. Animal food-contact surfaces must be made of materials that are nontoxic (21 CFR 507.22(a)(4)(ii)). They should be safe for use with the animal food manufactured, processed, packed, or held at the plant. The use of the material should not be hazardous to the animals' health. Animal food-contact surfaces must be maintained to protect animal food from contamination (21 CFR 507.22(a)(4)(iii)). Animal food-contact surfaces should be kept in working order, repaired, and replaced when necessary so that the animal food does not become contaminated.

I would stay away from painting them with anything as it may flake off

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

lentilheather

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:55 PM

We use similar equipment and are SQF level 2. Wood has to be inspected daily before use and the inspection documented. Any non-conforming frame needs a corrective and preventive action documented. Other than that our auditor was very understanding on the use of wood frames for our processing. I have been told they make screens with metal frames but I'm not sure of the cost or what companies make them. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

McForman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

We still use wood frames and inspected them once a week, our product is low risk dry beans I haven't had any issues, I wouldn't paint them with anything due to flaking later.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users