• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:42 AM

Good day ifsqn members!

I would like to have your opinion or comments about the micro analysis of fruit juices. Currently, we have pre-incubation of finished products (FGs) for three days before the actual testing. Why it is necessary to pre-incubate? Can we analyze the FGs immediately after production?

My thought is to resuscitate cells since they were exposed in high temp. (Pasteurization). But is there any other principle behind it?

Thanks!

ganeshkashinath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

I am not a microbiologist so please take my answer on a hands-on experience basis. Most of the media which you use to enumerate the bacteria will have a requirement of minimum number of cells to be present to express itself in the media. Generally, when we do the analysis of pasteurized products we enrich it in peptone water and take it for further analysis. I am taking an educated guess in your case you are pre incubating it for enrichment.  

Also, it could be for checking the thermostable microorganism which can destroy your product. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Rener De Jesus

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

Thanks! That’s helpful. Yes, you’re right. Instead of using peptone water, we pre-incubate pasteurized juices before direct plating. We do this to recover injured cells, if present.

Thank you again!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pasteurized Fruit Juices, Beverages, Microbiology, Food microbiology, Pasteurization, Microbiological analysis, Incubation period

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users