• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:03 AM

Okay, this is new for me in SQF 8 too:

"2.8.1 iii: A register of allergens which is applicable in the country of manufacture and the countries of destination, if known."

1)What does this mean I have to do?

2) Does anyone have an example?

3) Does anyone have any good resources on where to find the top allergens for each and every country/continent. (Okay, not each and every country--sorry, my frustration is coming out). 

Since we're a spice distribution and packaging company, we don't have any of the Top 8 U.S. allergens...

billyverne44

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:54 AM

A register is nothing more than a list.  If you are manufacturing in the US, have a list of the top 8.  Any countries where you are exporting to, just use google to help identify what foods they are classifying as an allergen.  I might be oversimplifying this, but it's not that hard.  Take a break and do a search when you a list of the countries you send product to.  I hope this helps.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:01 AM

Okay, this is new for me in SQF 8 too:

"2.8.1 iii: A register of allergens which is applicable in the country of manufacture and the countries of destination, if known."

1)What does this mean I have to do?

2) Does anyone have an example?

3) Does anyone have any good resources on where to find the top allergens for each and every country/continent. (Okay, not each and every country--sorry, my frustration is coming out). 

Since we're a spice distribution and packaging company, we don't have any of the Top 8 U.S. allergens...

Hi spiceprincess,

For No.3 go to FARRP website. Their global country allergen list has been posted here several times. I expect it includes USA.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

The register will list the allergens specific to your operation.

Then look to see where you export to and use the FARRP website (as mentioned by Charles) to list the allergens for those and compare to your facility.

An example of this would be that certain allergens in Canada are not considered allergens in the US, etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 2 Members:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

I suggest you create an excel sheet with all of the countries you sell to, and each countries known allergy list, where the lines cross (if any) add an X and then determine what is anything needs to be done to control that specific allergen going to that specific country.

If you don't have any of the global standard allergens in your facility, you need to provide your reasoning as to how you determined zero allergens

I.e. Mustard is on the national list in Canada, but not in the USA

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

redhotchillipeppers

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

Hi spiceprincess,

For No.3 go to FARRP website. Their global country allergen list has been posted here several times. I expect it includes USA.

The register will list the allergens specific to your operation.

Then look to see where you export to and use the FARRP website (as mentioned by Charles) to list the allergens for those and compare to your facility.

An example of this would be that certain allergens in Canada are not considered allergens in the US, etc.

Is this the global allergens list you're referring to? https://farrp.unl.edu/IRChart

Thanked by 1 Member:

redhotchillipeppers

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

I suggest you create an excel sheet with all of the countries you sell to, and each countries known allergy list, where the lines cross (if any) add an X and then determine what is anything needs to be done to control that specific allergen going to that specific country.

If you don't have any of the global standard allergens in your facility, you need to provide your reasoning as to how you determined zero allergens

I.e. Mustard is on the national list in Canada, but not in the USA

Hi Scampi,

Thanks for that. I am aware that Mustard is on the national list for Canada, but we don't sell to companies in Canada, we really just sell to companies in the U.S. Would I still need to list the Canadian allergies too? 

Despite not carrying any of the Top 8 US Allergens, we still segregate the mustard, sesame seed, and celery (we are mainly a distribution company, so the bags never really get opened), even though they're not U.S. regulated...

Any further thoughts?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

No, you wouldn't have to. but I would include all known global allergens, only because you are spices and they've come from hither and yon, also, should you be able to expand into new markets in future you are prepared!  And, should you have a bag/carton get dumped or pierced, you've already got a plan in place.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:46 AM

Dear Spice Princess,

For the European continent, here are the allergens, as described in the European declaration information REGULATION (EU) No 1169/2011 - Annex II. For you, as handling spices, be carefull about, the Mustard (already mentioned here above), Sesame seeds and Celery.

https://eur-lex.euro...11R1169&from=EN

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

ANNEX II

SUBSTANCES OR PRODUCTS CAUSING ALLERGIES OR INTOLERANCES

1. Cereals containing gluten, namely: wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut or their hybridised strains, and products thereof, except:

(a) wheat based glucose syrups including dextrose ( 1 );

(b) wheat based maltodextrins ( 1 );

© glucose syrups based on barley;

(d) cereals used for making alcoholic distillates including ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin;

2. Crustaceans and products thereof;

3. Eggs and products thereof;

4. Fish and products thereof, except:

(a) fish gelatine used as carrier for vitamin or carotenoid preparations;

(b) fish gelatine or Isinglass used as fining agent in beer and wine;

5. Peanuts and products thereof;

6. Soybeans and products thereof, except:

(a) fully refined soybean oil and fat ( 1 );

(b) natural mixed tocopherols (E306), natural D-alpha tocopherol, natural D-alpha tocopherol acetate, and natural D-alpha tocopherol succinate from soybean sources;

© vegetable oils derived phytosterols and phytosterol esters from soybean sources;

(d) plant stanol ester produced from vegetable oil sterols from soybean sources;

7. Milk and products thereof (including lactose), except:

(a) whey used for making alcoholic distillates including ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin;

(b) lactitol;

8. Nuts, namely: almonds (Amygdalus communis L.), hazelnuts (Corylus avellana), walnuts (Juglans regia), cashews (Anacardium occidentale), pecan nuts (Carya illinoinensis (Wangenh.) K. Koch), Brazil nuts (Bertholletia excelsa), pistachio nuts (Pistacia vera), macadamia or Queensland nuts (Macadamia ternifolia), and products thereof, except for nuts used for making alcoholic distillates including ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin;

9. Celery and products thereof;

10. Mustard and products thereof;

11. Sesame seeds and products thereof;

12. Sulphur dioxide and sulphites at concentrations of more than 10 mg/kg or 10 mg/litre in terms of the total SO 2 which are to be calculated for products as proposed ready for consumption or as reconstituted according to the instructions of the manufacturers;

13. Lupin and products thereof;

14. Molluscs and products thereof.EN 22.11.2011 Official Journal of the European Union L 304/43

( 1 ) And the products thereof, in so far as the process that they have undergone is not likely to increase the level of allergenicity assessed by the Authority for the relevant product from which they originated.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: allergen, sqf edition 8, allergen register

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users