• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

Hello everyone,

I receive a lot of haccp documentation showing that reception of raw material is a CCP; however, I have learned that it is not typically deemed a CCP. Does anyone have any insight here? My vendor has answered the first two questions on the CCP decision tree as yes, leading them to the assumption that this is a CCP step; however I still am not sure if the measures implemented (supplier approval, preliminary testing) is enough to truly eliminate any likely hazards present to a low enough level.

jdpaul

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 256 posts
  • 221 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

It can be a CCP if you rank your supplier as high risk (for instance they produce multiple allergens). If your high risk supplier produces gluten as well as an ingredient used in a gluten free product you may make it a CCP because in order for the raw material to be released you perform an ELISA method where you test for any gluten (usually 10 or less ppm)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:42 PM

Hello everyone,

I receive a lot of haccp documentation showing that reception of raw material is a CCP; however, I have learned that it is not typically deemed a CCP. Does anyone have any insight here? My vendor has answered the first two questions on the CCP decision tree as yes, leading them to the assumption that this is a CCP step; however I still am not sure if the measures implemented (supplier approval, preliminary testing) is enough to truly eliminate any likely hazards present to a low enough level.

Hi julianne,

(1) It might depend on what the specific hazard is that is responsible for the claimed CCP ?

(2) It might also depend on which flavour of haccp you are taslking about ? Codex-type ? FSMA-type? iso-type ?

IMEX, for traditional haccp, most raw material "hazards" considered to be reponsible for CCPs are usually either classified as PRPs or as "controlled at later process stages".

Some textbooks even end up with "CCPs" for the raw material supplier !

PS - Just as an example from iso22002-1 (a reference list for Prerequisite Programs for fssc22000 )-

9.1 General requirements Purchasing of materials which impact food safety shall be controlled to ensure that the suppliers used have the capability to meet the specified requirements.

The conformance of incoming materials to specified purchase requirements shall be verified.

9.3 Incoming material requirements

(raw/ingredients/packaging)

………

Materials shall be inspected, tested or covered by COA to verify conformance to specified requirements prior to acceptance or use. The method of verification shall be documented.

………..

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:56 PM

Hi Julianne,

Other examples of where it could be a CCP:

• Presence of residues of antibiotics
  • A legal temperature requirement
  • Presence of pesticide residues

It depends on your own process and on the correct use of the HACCP decision tree.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users