Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

So we all work diligently to ensure we've done all that we can to help ensure a safe and healthy food supply and then I read this incredibly disheartening article;

"This investigation, which reviewed 30 of 1,557 food recalls between 2012 and 2015, found that the FDA "did not always have an efficient and effective food-recall process that ensured the safety of the nation's food supply."

In these cases, food companies took an average of 57 days to recall items after the FDA learned of the possible health hazards, the report revealed."

www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/health/fda-food-guidance-criticism/index.html

57 days!!!! Profits before people
I truly hope yours isn't one of these kind of companies

""They're trying to walk a fine line," said LaBorde, who was not involved in the investigation. "They don't want to be too fast on the trigger, because they've been burned in the past on issuing recalls. It's a huge economic effect on an industry. It could wipe them out. But on the other hand, if people start dying, that's even worse than the recall."  (they being the FDA)

Edited by Scampi, 20 June 2018 - 02:12 PM.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,665 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

I find the bigger issue to be why does a food company WAIT until the FDA does the contact - you know they (the food company) know it already and what they are waiting to figure out how much money and how much bad press can they get while they wait for the FDA to do something.

I had a client years ago that walked in to the conference and said you (meaning me) feel free to rack these people over the coals as need be.... I was auditing and consulting that week...

He went on to say that he had food company that identified a major issue and acted on it on the spot - they knew it was not caused by them, however it was caused by a supplier, but the recall costs and effects wiped the company out and they went out of business and he said it was the best thing to do - even knowing that it would cost them millions 1 person sick, 1 person died was way too much to wait on the FDA to do something.

So, here was a good man with a new food company and he has been a warrior for food safety since.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

I agree wholeheartedly Glenn, and he should be given commendation for his actions!!

I have a three fold issue

1) Companies are putting profits before people time after time

2) The FDA really shouldn't give two hoots about the financial cost to the company, that statement in this article turns my stomach and makes me so frustrated trying to do this job well

3) I worked for a company that had a massive recall, and watched and learned when they did the right thing, without government prompting!!

What sad, is here we are reading this, but we're probably the only part of the food biz that cares

And really, i find it appalling that the FDA never had the power to issue a recall?????  REALLY

Ansh3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

I worked for a food company - seafood processing. The management had just completed an audit where traceability was one of the NC's. 

Management reply was a risk assessment where traceability was marked as low risk.

Traceability failure triggered the risk assessment, and then, the company declares it as low risk?  IMHO both are alarming, company that thinks failing traceability is ok and the auditor who accepted a risk assessment with traceability as a low risk.

I tried to educate. The company was mixing & reworking on products so haphazardly that each final product can be traced back to bit and pieces of months of shipments and production. If ever faced with a recall, they will have to recall the entire production that traces back to six-seven months. 

The answer I got: What is the possibility of Recall? What does the historical stats say? Never till date.

So putting profit above people is old, now it's putting convenience over people too.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

I still argue that governments needs more teeth no less. Then I hear that the canal in Arizona was responsible for that e coli romaine lettuce recall wasn't tested until early June 2018....um NO ONE THOUGHT TO TEST THE WATER!!!!!!!!??????? Not even the FDA? Seriously, grab an intern and send em out!

Never mind that those operators are supposed to test that water (if they are running GAP at least) routinely throughout the season.....every story like this one makes me so angry!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FDA, Mandatory Recalls, Industry Average

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users