Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:11 PM

In a bakery setting, obviously there is a lot of flour dust in the air. I know our products that are made without gluten as an ingredient are going to have gluten in them. Can we market them as "gluten friendly" without mislabeling? I like to air on the side of caution but sales is pushing for a product with this because of the trendiness of the dietary movement to gluten-free (or limited) eating. 

I want to keep our consumers safe while also highlighting items made without a gluten raw material. 

Thank you for your help!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:01 PM

Gotta love those sales people! Always sticking their noses in lol

hmmm, I don't think you really want to do that.

For folks who are celiac, they wouldn't touch your product at all so I don't know that you'd be gaining anything by doing that, and I think that's a false statement anyway....it's not really gluten friendly is it, you're cross contamination risk is just too high

And statements of claim are not "regulated" but your product could theoretically be considered 'adulterated" if you've got gluten in it, but according to the label you shouldn't.....

I've a friend who is a celiac, who cannot even touch a bread crumb, she is that sensitive

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Kane

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

Gotta love those sales people! Always sticking their noses in lol

hmmm, I don't think you really want to do that.

For folks who are celiac, they wouldn't touch your product at all so I don't know that you'd be gaining anything by doing that, and I think that's a false statement anyway....it's not really gluten friendly is it, you're cross contamination risk is just too high

And statements of claim are not "regulated" but your product could theoretically be considered 'adulterated" if you've got gluten in it, but according to the label you shouldn't.....

I've a friend who is a celiac, who cannot even touch a bread crumb, she is that sensitive

I have a close friend that I cannot cook a Beer Brat on the grill and then any other food for her for the same reason.

I agree. My sentiment is that it is misleading. However, the fact that there is no FDA guidance in accordance to something like saying "Gluten-friendly", sales will continue pushing. If you have more ideas throw them my way!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:36 PM

Throw this to the sales team and let them sort it out!!  This article specifically mentions making "misleading" statements

www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/Allergens/ucm362880.htm

It includes this

If a person sensitive to gluten eats a product labeled gluten-free and becomes ill or otherwise experiences adverse health effects, can they report this to FDA?
Yes, the agency has two ways that consumers can report such concerns: 

• Contact FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition’s Adverse Event Reporting System called “CAERS” by phone, 240-402-2405 or email, CAERS@cfsan.fda.gov
  • Consumers and manufacturers can also report any complaint they may have about an FDA-regulated food (e.g., potential misuse of gluten-free claims on food labels) to an FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator for the state where the food was purchased. A list of FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinators is posted at FDA’s website. Reports should include:
  • the name, addresses and phone numbers of persons affected and the person reporting the incident.
  • the doctor or hospital if emergency treatment was provided.
  • a clear description of the problem. Describe the product as completely as possible, including any codes or identifying marks on the label or container.
  • the name and address of the store where the product was purchased and the date of purchase.

Edited by Scampi, 21 June 2018 - 08:36 PM.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

allergenen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:01 PM

In Europe statements like "no gluten-containing ingredients" are not allowed. A product is gluten-free or it is not, regardless of the source (ingredient of cross contamination).

More information: 

https://www.coeliac....from-july-2016/

mkapolonio84

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:11 AM

thank you