• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does Amazon need to be an Approved Supplier?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

jalex194021

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

My question today is, we just purchased to chemical pumps off of amazon, is it necessary for them to be put onto the approved supplier program? Thanks

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

Amazon, no, the manufacturer, probably yes to be safe. Did you get manuals to go with them? Do you have calibration instructions/adjustments and chemical titration kits for the chemicals you'll be running through the pumps?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jalex194021

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

Amazon, no, the manufacturer, probably yes to be safe. Did you get manuals to go with them? Do you have calibration instructions/adjustments and chemical titration kits for the chemicals you'll be running through the pumps?

They were just purchased today, and haven't arrived yet. They will be used to put chlorine into the water. This will be a one time purchase if that makes any difference.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:45 PM

Perfect sense. I wouldn't include them just like I wouldn't include where I get boiler parts from.

Just make sure you've got all the other pieces. I would google the manufacturer to get the manual prior to it's arrival. Then you can make sure you've got PMs for it as well as some trouble shooting ideas!

Thanked by 1 Member:

bmart

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

Tagging onto this. 

What type of approval process would this involve? I have designed a questionnaire at my facility which is applicable to raw material suppliers but I am wondering what type of approval process should be put in place for situations like this (new equipment, pest management companies, etc.) 

In jalex194021's example if he contacts the supplier what type of approval process will he have? It makes sense that he can verify that they have provided him a manual, calibration information, and maybe the titration if the pumps are specific for a particular chemical.  

Where do you draw the line as to what need and not needs approval? Has impact on food safety/quality vs. has no impact?  In relation to FSMA policies, I believe that the Vendor Approval is not a requirement unless you have a supply-chain applied control. It seems like all 3rd party certifications want it though so we all need it anyways.

Also, I've attached my in house form for vendor approval if anybody wants to see. I can include the questionnaire as well if anybody is interested.

Attached Files

Edited by bmart, 28 June 2018 - 04:55 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

It falls under this in SQF

11.2.9.1 Specifications for equipment, utensils and protective clothing, and procedures for purchasing equipment
shall be documented and implemented.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

Obviously, in this example, a chlorine pump can have a HUGE impact on the process so you want to ensure you're spending the money wisly

The only way to know what to include and what to exclude (which is a lot of thing AFAIC) is to really know what it's purpose in the facility is.....the maintenance department equipment CAN impact food safety so let's say you've ordered a knock off part for the condenser pump for a walk in cooler........not the sort of thing you want to save a buck on because if it fails, you've gone literally tons of product at risk.

Sanitary Design is vital when purchasing new equipment. Let's say you're going to chop and form whole hams into patties, the chopping machine may be designed for occasional use and is a real b*tch to take apart.....you probably don't want that one if it is being used everyday, you've introduced too much risk in the design. If something is hard to take apart and/or put back together, its rarely going to be done right, or it won't be cleaned properly because sanitation knows it took 2 hours to disassemble, and now they only have 15 minutes to get it cleaned and sanitized and put back together.

It really comes from understanding your business and what impacts what.

Vendor approval is VITAL for packaging and ingredients. Equipment approval is VITAL for safety (food and humans working with it)

Hope that helps

Thanked by 3 Members:

bmart

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Scampi, that was really helpful.

So what does your vendor approval process look like for these type of suppliers. For your example with the condenser pump, how can you approve the vendor that is building the pump? Questionnaire? Audit? Product history?

I'm just thinking of the documentation for this and in regards to SQF 11.2.9.1. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

you don't really need to approve the vendor, you just need a program that states something like

"we shall not purchase off the back of a scooby doo van at 2 am" just kidding

this is a section of my purchasing policy

Purchasing Policy

• Documentation is reviewed annually and updated and/or generated when a new supplier (raw material or food contact packaging or chemicals) is approved, when new products are introduced, or processes are changed that could affect food safety.

• Raw and packaging materials, protective gear, equipment, utensils and ingredients shall comply with CFIA, Health Canada and any other legislation and regulations as required.  
  • A current register of all materials and equipment has been created and is annually reviewed and updated by the SQFP with supplier’s current Food safety system certification. All current Certificate of Approval or Letter of Guarantee are held on file. If the vendor is certified with a recognized 3rd party (SWF, BRC FSSC etc) no conformance assessment or questionnaire is required.
  • SQFP will verify all suppliers’ contact information during annual review.
  • Supplier’s conformance is assessed and reviewed yearly by SQFP during Internal Audit

Straight forward and to the point. I have not included sanitary design as that is and should be an offline process. You just need to demonstrate that a policy is in place so things are not allowed on the floor that could risk food safety. E.g. the maintenance department should NOT be responsible for buying knives for trimming food

Thanked by 2 Members:

bmart

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:59 PM

OK got it, though I wish we could purchase things off the back of a scooby doo van. Actually sounds like a disaster waiting to happen haha.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

Where I live, a truck still comes around selling frozen meat outta the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Would you like some of my van perch? Um, no thanks I'll go hungry!!!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 29 June 2018 - 12:10 AM

Get a spec sheet and stick it in a file. No muss, no fuss.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Danica

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Yoga, running, mediation, nature, cooking/eating, reading, learning, science/tech, life in general :)

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

Lol Scampi, do we live near each other. We have the same over here..even some sell fish and shellfish products!!

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:45 PM

Suppose I shall throw my two cents in.  This is part of my procedure:

5.1 Before any supplier is selected they must complete and return the “Supplier Self Evaluation” form supplied by the FSQA Manager.
5.2 Once the form is returned it must be reviewed by the FSQA Manager or designate for food safety compliance.  This compliance may include and where appropriate, but is not limited to;
     5.2.1 HACCP Plan
     5.2.2 GMP Program
     5.2.3 Finished Product Specifications
     5.2.4 Ingredient Specifications
     5.2.5 Packaging Specifications
     5.2.6 Food Defense Program
     5.2.7 Employee Training Program
     5.2.8 Third Party Audits
     5.2.9 Continuing Letter of Guarantee
     5.2.10 Indemnification insurance
5.3 Review Outcomes reported on Supplier Review Form
     5.3.1 Supplier meets the minimum food safety and prerequisite programs - Approved.
     5.3.2 Supplier does not meet all of the requirements - Audit the supplier for more information
     5.3.3 Approve
     5.3.4 Not Approved
          5.3.4.1 Supplier does not meet minimum requirements and food safety is in question-not approved find an alternate supplier.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

Also, it is The Mystery Machine dagnabbit  :ejut:

nlesperance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Ballet

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:40 PM

Agree with Glenn...get an SDS from the actual company/brand (not amazon) and keep it on file. Keep it simple!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

Lol Scampi, do we live near each other. We have the same over here..even some sell fish and shellfish products!!

Sorry Danica, just seeing this today.................I'm thinking maybe geographically were close OR this is a Canadian thing, cause yep he has shellfish too, and salmon and scallops and and and LOL

Edited by Scampi, 15 February 2019 - 03:59 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users