• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:52 PM

Hi there, 

Am new to the QA position and have been tasked to produce a form after a changeover that will verify we check our metal detector. Wondering if any one has a type of template I could get some ideas from. Thanks in advance.

-BB

bensmith007

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:50 PM

Hi BB,

We have to deal with this situation as we have an offline metal detector that we use for finished goods. We do this by clearly stating on the form that checks need to be performed when starting a shift OR a new product, and at the end of a shift OR when completing a product.

I have attached the form we use- I do not think this is a particularly good form TBH, especially with all of the columns for each test piece- this is a waste of ink and I intend to change this sometime to just one column.

You will see the next page is where we record the pallets passing through MD, you should then be able to match up your checks with the run time for these pallets and show that checks were performed at the beginning and end of a product. Actually this was a minor NC on a recent audit and we hadn't recorded this properly which was caught by the (thorough) auditor.

As I say, I don't think this is a shining example of a 'good' MD form, but something to get you started and to show you how we get the extra information on the form!

Ben

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

Dear BB,

In the link hereunder you find information about the Metal detection program. Please, take the following topics into consideration for more ideas:

• The orientation effect of metallic pieces
  • The minimization of false positive rejected products
  • The type of stainless steel
  • The development and the description of your test method

https://qualitic4u.c...etal-detection/

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Mr. Wallace

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

I would make sure there is a comment/corrective action section as well to state that first and last case of the product being run has been tested by the QA responsible for metal detector checks. That way it is documented that the metal detector was working properly on the last case BEFORE the change over and the first case AFTER the change over. hope this helps!

bellablaz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:00 PM

Thank you so much Ben, Gerard, and Mr. Wallace. All this has been super helpful in developing this form. As mentioned I am new to this field and sometimes its hard to find some direction with no training. You guys are wonderful!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

Dear Bella Blaz,

You're welcome! Sometimes the suppliers of metal detectors provide interesting practical trainings.

I wish you good luck with your new QA position.

Kind regards,

Gerard H.

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:16 PM

We have a verification checklist for our QA to complete for changeovers.  I have attached the checklist we use for you to have another example; please note this check it is at the bottom of a form so the date, name and title of document was not shared, I only shared the portion of the form that pertains to this topic.

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

We no longer use metal detection, but attached is the log we did use.  Some of our production runs are very short (1-2 hours) and some very long (2-3 days).  We would test beginning, middle and end of each batch, with the appropriate detection rod that we got from Metler Toledo (manufacturer of the equipment).

Lynn

Attached Files

Edited by ncwingnut, 12 July 2018 - 06:08 PM.

Thanked by 3 Members:

bellablaz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:13 PM

I am so appreciative of all the help on this matter. Thank you Mulan1010 and Lynn

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

I made it simple for us and just tested every hour production was running.  Get certified wands, cards, rods or balls ... whatever works for your product.  Try and position them as close to the middle of the product as possible (sometimes very difficult to do)... 

This is my old metal detector form - the product was raw meat, both frozen and not.  Old metal detector (1999 I think) but the wands ran fine, and then you just check off every hour that is being checked and passing.  Auditors will ask you what you've done with the product after running the test pieces.  You need to know that you're supposed to run the product without the test pieces as well to verify that there is actually no metal in it.

Here is the best place I have found to get certified pieces:  http://www.fastecser...ategory&path=59

I would suggest, like was said earlier, that you determine the type of SS you have in your facility... there are a couple (304, 316, and 440) ... usually you'll find that 316 is what you need, but it doesn't hurt to ask (or just get multiple wands.

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users