Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

Hi, We are a flexible packaging printer and moving from AIB to SQF. We do not have any document control system and pretty much have to start from the ground up because management wasn't involved in any of the AIB implementation or sustaining the program. I am the new SQF Practitioner for our facility and was asked to put together a presentation for our executive leadership team regarding the leadership requirements, what we need from them to be successful, and what types of teams we need to have to implement and sustain SQF. I've also been asked to include the amount of hours required from our leadership team during the implementation and sustaining the program and amount of hours from our production team leads.

We would like to ask leadership team for a Steering Team, Food Safety Team, HACCP Team, and Food Defense Team. Not sure if all of those are really necessary for implementation. 

Are there any resources regarding the management role in SQF? or if you have any insights from implementing a food safety system

Thanks!

Edited by Julie Y, 17 July 2018 - 01:15 PM.

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

Julie,

You first need to read and go through the SQF Code that you would be following. Most of the GFSI standards have clauses that require Management commitment.

IMO you need few people to go through training programs like (HACCP and other certification).

Depending on the size of your company, you need to set up the appropriate teams, includes Food Safety, HACCP, Food defense, etc. In most of the smaller scale/ less employees, some people have to wear multiple hats, like a person who is part of the Food Safety team, can also be a member of Food Defense team. It all depends on one's understanding, willing to be a part of a team, cost, availability and other factors.

The SQF forums on this website is a great resource to look into your plans and i would advise to look into the documents/Programs that you already have implemented for AIB approval (and update them as per the SQF code).

Good luck.

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Depending on the size of your company, your team members may be the same people for each of those teams.  At my company we define the Food Safety/Quality Team which primarily makes up the HACCP Team and Food Defense Team.   The key is management commitment and support.  They have to back up what you do if they want to be successful.  

Ryan H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 56 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Sports, traveling

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:18 AM

Julie: I just saw this thread. I’m curious on the update in regards to your implementation of SQF?

All the best, 

Ryan Heavner 

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:39 AM

Hello, 

Really hard to get management support, because it means additional cost. It would come a point that the site fail the audit before the SM realized the importance of their commitments and supports.

We experienced it though not in Food Safety but in Social Compliance audit. By not spending P50k for a thing to comply, we fail the audit and we lost Walmart in a year. Then SM realized its importance.

regards,

redfox

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users