Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:42 AM

What is your opinion about the use of the Campden decision tree? I found the following article while giving the search "storage not CCP" : 

https://techni-k.co....x_decision_tree.   

At the moment we have "the outgrowth of microorganisms on processed products (pomegranate seeds, coconut chunks) during storage" as a CCP. It is like this since 2012 when the quality&food safety manual of my company was made by mine predecessor together with a consultancy company. My company is a service provider (repacking, relabelling, storage of fresh fruit and vegetables). The only thing that we do with the pomegranate seeds is income control, labelling, storage. During our last BRC/IFS Food audit, the auditor said that the CCP is well described and monitored, but it is more a CP than a CCP and maybe I can try to change the plan. We used the codex decision tree to determine the CCP, but if I use the information form the above article, then I can change the HACCP plan. Neither BRC or IFS say that we have to use the codex decision tree, only that we have to use a logical approach which might be facilitated by the use of  a decision tree. 

Unfortunatelly I've only seen this decision tree in this article and further I can't find something else about it.    

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

The full Campden HACCP guide is available direct from their website: https://www.campdenb...php?pubsID=4649

Don't see any problem with using the Campden tree rather than the Codex one, particularly given how well recognised/respected they generally are on process matters. 
In fact I've never used the Codex tree in any of our HACCP plans!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

What is your opinion about the use of the Campden decision tree? I found the following article while giving the search "storage not CCP" : 

https://techni-k.co....x_decision_tree.   

At the moment we have "the outgrowth of microorganisms on processed products (pomegranate seeds, coconut chunks) during storage" as a CCP. It is like this since 2012 when the quality&food safety manual of my company was made by mine predecessor together with a consultancy company. My company is a service provider (repacking, relabelling, storage of fresh fruit and vegetables). The only thing that we do with the pomegranate seeds is income control, labelling, storage. During our last BRC/IFS Food audit, the auditor said that the CCP is well described and monitored, but it is more a CP than a CCP and maybe I can try to change the plan. We used the codex decision tree to determine the CCP, but if I use the information form the above article, then I can change the HACCP plan. Neither BRC or IFS say that we have to use the codex decision tree, only that we have to use a logical approach which might be facilitated by the use of  a decision tree. 

Unfortunatelly I've only seen this decision tree in this article and further I can't find something else about it.    

Hi ilonadlb,

Actually this tree was developed several years ago and is posted elsewhere on this Forum.

The advantage is precisely what the linked article states in that it initially starts by allowing for Prerequisites. (Of course if you don't use Prerequisites for the relevant control then it won't make any difference).

It's even simpler to use no decision trees at all to determine significant hazards which is what i do.

@ pHruit - available yes, but sadly only for GBP 135.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ahmadfadzli80

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:37 AM

Hi ilonadlb,

Actually this tree was developed several years ago and is posted elsewhere on this Forum.

The advantage is precisely what the linked article states in that it initially starts by allowing for Prerequisites. (Of course if you don't use Prerequisites for the relevant control then it won't make any difference).

It's even simpler to use no decision trees at all to determine significant hazards which is what i do.

@ pHruit - available yes, but sadly only for GBP 135.

Hi Charles,

Referring to your reply (I came across this.. I know this an old posting), you did mention of not using a decision tree at all.

How do you do that? Any reference?

Regards.

fadzli

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:41 AM

The products are chilled I imagine?

I've spent time with a distributor that stored ambient, chilled and frozen - their only CCP was temperature control for chilled & frozen goods. I've also worked with a meat product manufacturer that had MD, cooking & cooling as CCPs but not storage temperature of raw material or product. Both passed BRC with no HACCP issues.

Having a look around I can see how one may include 'temperature control' as part of the prerequisite plan:

The list of prerequisites in MyHACCP is not exhaustive and there may be other matters, such as temperature control, which are relevant for your business.

https://myhaccp.food...food-hygiene-re

Prerequisites include where appropriate:

1. Storage, Distribution and Transport (including temperature control)
  2. https://www.fsai.ie/...quirements.html

Examples of Common Prerequisite Programs

Receiving, Storage and Shipping: All raw materials and products should be stored under sanitary conditions and the proper environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity to assure their safety and wholesomenes

https://www.fda.gov/...tion-guidelines

You say the HACCP plan has been in place since 2012 - have you had BRC/IFS audits since then, and have all of those auditors been satisfied with your defined CCP? Did the recent auditor raise a non-conformance? One thing I'd be cautious about is a level of subjectivity, and if this is the first auditor that has raised the point I'd be wary of changing the HACCP plan accordingly, only for the next auditor to question why you don't have that CCP. IMO better to have an auditor compliment your description and monitoring and suggest you may want to change it, than to be questioned on why something is not a CCP or being monitored as such. But by all means any change must be based on a logical approach, and in regards to the question on the Campden tree I don't see any issue with it either. I give a thumbs up to many of their guides.

Edited by zanorias, 19 February 2020 - 07:41 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:21 PM

Hi Charles,

Referring to your reply (I came across this.. I know this an old posting), you did mention of not using a decision tree at all.

How do you do that? Any reference?

Regards.

fadzli

You can see an example of what I meant in the excel/haccp plan here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ge-4#entry50651

traditional Codex haccp does not require some of the Columns shown (eg the OPRP chunk).

IMEX this methodology is sufficient for traditional Codex CCP determination. (it utilizes the "operational" steps given in the iso22000 Standard).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users