Khayat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hi Everybody!!

I started working on ISO22000 about 1 month ago in our catering company.
I am still knew with the system and would like to have some professional advice from you guys.

It would be most useful if somebody told me what are the first steps in implementing ISO22000.
Does anyone has a sample HACCP plan for me to follow?

i really appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,

Tarek :spoton:

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:13 PM

Khayat,

I can only tell you the category of food processes you need to look at are:
Unccoked and Ready to Serve
Cooked and Ready To Serve
Cooked, Frozen and Reheat To Serve

My suggestion to you is to engage a competent Consultant to help you on your ISO program as even the Food Auditors have problems understanding the standard itself.

Charles

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

He's right apart from competent consultants (like Charles ;) ) not many in the food safety profession have got to grips with ISO 22000 yet. I presume you've got a copy of the standard; well you need to read it over and over and try to understand its meaning to your operation. Feel free to ask questions and clarify points here.

It is very difficult to give you detailed advice with the scarce information you've provided. You say you are in catering, but can you be more specific about your food products, processes and customers - that would be a start. You also don't tell us about your current food safety management system - have you got one? How far is it developed?

Anyway Tarek I think it might be your lucky day. :thumbup: I've found a fantastic couple of resources for you; the first is a HACCP guide for food service and at the second link you can get hold of a whole bunch of HACCP based Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) for food service, in editable Microsoft Word format. Both of these should help you to develop your food safety management system to an acceptable standard. And then you might think about ISO 22000...

Managing Food Safety: A Manual for the Voluntary Use of HACCP Principles for Operators of Food Service and Retail Establishments

HACCP-Based Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for Food Service

Welcome to the forums Tarek; if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Witch

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:46 AM

It would be most useful if somebody told me what are the first steps in implementing ISO22000.

Hallo Tarek,
first I would start with the PRPs because they built your base. The "rest risk" (ok Simon, I look for some english course...) has to be discussed in the FMEA (its HACCP)
The management part (ISO 9001) has to be built around this "heart"

:oops: (I did my very best... poor english)

Ciao
Andrea

Khayat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

Thank you Charles, Simon, and Andrea for your support and info.

Simon, the sites that you have linked were very useful. :thumbup:
Charles, it is very true that we at our catering company perform the 3 category processes that you stated. No cook, serve at the same day, prepare-cook-refrigerate-reheat-hold and serve.
the main process for us is the 3rd one although I prefer most of the time the 2nd one but it depends on our event since we do outside catering like: weddings, cocktails, lunches, dinners, engagements, community catering (cafeteria), etc.

Our kitchen is divided according to HACCp i.e. the raw areas are back and the cook areas are infront so the path of food items shall be in a forward style (back to front). We have some forms (temp. monitoring forms, cleaning, hygiene, travel path, etc.) that our chefs are using.
Most of the SOP's that you have sent to me Simon are very useful and the bigger part of them is being implemented but the procedures were not documented so this will give me a clue for how to document them.

Our company has been ISO 9001 certified last March. How much do you think our ISO 9001 can help us in getting the ISO22000 although i think that if we are able to achieve ISO22000 then we do not need anymore ISO9001 since it is part of ISO22000? Don't u think so?

What do you think is the best way to make your production staff realize the importance of ISO22000 and record keeping because most of them do not like to monitor or record the temperatures?

Again, ithank you for your help and hope that Iam not bothering you in my questions. :oops:

Regards,

Tarek

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

Our company has been ISO 9001 certified last March. How much do you think our ISO 9001 can help us in getting the ISO22000 although i think that if we are able to achieve ISO22000 then we do not need anymore ISO9001 since it is part of ISO22000? Don't u think so?

ISO 9001 Certification along with a HACCP system will certainly help you to achieve ISO 22000, but you still have plenty of work to do. With regard to your question I suppose it's what your customers recognize and accept that will determine what you should have in place. ISO 9001 is not a replacment for ISO 22000 and vice versa.

What do you think is the best way to make your production staff realize the importance of ISO22000 and record keeping because most of them do not like to monitor or record the temperatures?

:bop: and plenty of educating, again and again and again...And if that doesn't work. :cm:

Again, i thank you for your help and hope that Iam not bothering you in my questions. :oops:

Not at all that's what we are here for. :thumbup:

Regards,

Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users