• Quick Navigation
Photo

Who is the most senior member of your HACCP team?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the most senior member of your HACCP team? (158 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the most senior member of your HACCP team?

1. MD / CEO / President / Head Honcho (36 votes [22.78%])

Percentage of vote: 22.78%

2. Director / Senior Manager (72 votes [45.57%])

Percentage of vote: 45.57%

3. Middle Manager (42 votes [26.58%])

Percentage of vote: 26.58%

4. Junior Manager (4 votes [2.53%])

Percentage of vote: 2.53%

5. Supervisor (3 votes [1.90%])

Percentage of vote: 1.90%

6. Janitor (1 votes [0.63%])

Percentage of vote: 0.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

It's an interesting question when you come to the "senior management commitment" section of the BRC. Perhaps there should be a once or twice a year review with senior management or if there was a major change / major rewrite.

The fact is though I'd rather have people in the team who know what really goes on (i.e. the operators, shop floor team leaders etc.) but it could be good to use it as a tool to get funding for those long standing food safety issues you never seem to get signed off...

It's probably not necessary for the head honcho to be on the HACCP team, as long as regular management reviews are caried out with senior management present to review strategic system performance, resourse requirements etc.

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

rita

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

hi!

THE MOST SENIOR MEMBER OF OUR COMPANY IS PRODUCTION MANAGER. THOUGH THE QA EXECUTIVE IS IN CHARGE OF HACCP IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

hi!

THE MOST SENIOR MEMBER OF OUR COMPANY IS PRODUCTION MANAGER. THOUGH THE QA EXECUTIVE IS IN CHARGE OF HACCP IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE.

So Rita, is the Production Manager on the HACCP team?

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

rita

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:48 AM

Yes indeed.

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:17 AM

Dear Forum,

In my company, the most senior member is the General Manager, based on the poll, I guess it was the Senior Management. I think the decision to make a CEO/Head Honcho as a member of HACCP Team is somehow a little bit redudant, especially on a big company. IMO, the tasks at HACCP Team were so specific, and need full attention. While the CEO much more think about stockholders and bussiness progress. But I can understand if some company pick their top management as HACCP Chief.

BTW, I dont like the idea of havin Janitor at the poll. Smells like a despise to me... But still, there's one voter pick it.. I dont know if it was for sure or no...

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:24 AM

in my company.. the HACCP team leader is PDQA manager.. and he is most younger manager.. but he is well known in HACCP (ISO 22000) and ISO 9000 System...

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

Dear All,

I think the idea is that the most important person in the company ("assumed" to be the MD because he pays you) should want to be the HACCP leader. The opposite result is one of the specific ISO 9000 quality system demerit factors from memory. The practical reality is probably more like the posted comments of course. It is well-proven that QA people are invariably unappreciated until disaster strikes (bit like computer hard drives).

The janitorial business can be quite high-tech also :whistle: -

http://www.thejanitorialstore.com/

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Dear All,

I think the idea is that the most important person in the company ("assumed" to be the MD because he pays you) should want to be the HACCP leader. The opposite result is one of the specific ISO 9000 quality system demerit factors from memory. The practical reality is probably more like the posted comments of course. It is well-proven that QA people are invariably unappreciated until disaster strikes (bit like computer hard drives).

The janitorial business can be quite high-tech also :whistle: -

http://www.thejanitorialstore.com/

Rgds / Charles.C

Yes that's the point Charles. It's the big C word again 'Commitment' - In reality you would not expect the Boss to attend every HACCP meeting, but he should want to see trend reports and have a good overview of what is happening on the ground, as well as allowing the HACCP team at least an annual review to discuss face to face and link operational activity with strategy.

Regards,
Simon

4W?

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

Hi,

In the company where I work the most senior manager in the HACCP team is a middle manager (I should say: are middle managers): Production managers, Logistics manager, Training manager, Engineering manager and Technical manager.
Personally I think it works just fine without senior managers comming to all our meeting (lightens up the air :rolleyes: ), although I agree with Simon when he says that the HACCP team should be allowed a review at least once a year with the senior management.

Regards,

Vera

Using the same method
and expecting different results
is the definition of madness!

elias.loisos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

Voted "Director / Senior Manager"

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

I think the very top management should understand HACCP principles and should be interested in being updated regularly on performance against the food safety aims and objectives, but I would not expect to see them on the HACCP team, unless the company were very small. I think I may have changed my position from way back when this topic first started.

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:34 AM

As seen in most of the companies the senior most member in HACCP team is middle manager
(Technical Manager, R&D Manager or QA/QC Manager and some parts Plant Manager) the question may be:
Who is the most knowledgeable & senior member of your HACCP team?

Becoz the top management & Directors have knowledge on HACCP but little less compare to QA, they may not interfere in day to day activities in plant/manufacturing, they are busiest and need difficult to spare some time to attend and look for the food safety incidences, corrections, corrective and preventive actions, etc. the power, control and pressure will be more on middle manager or junior manager.

What do you say?

:dunno:
Abdul Qudoos.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

As seen in most of the companies the senior most member in HACCP team is middle manager
(Technical Manager, R&D Manager or QA/QC Manager and some parts Plant Manager) the question may be:
Who is the most knowledgeable & senior member of your HACCP team?

Becoz the top management & Directors have knowledge on HACCP but little less compare to QA, they may not interfere in day to day activities in plant/manufacturing, they are busiest and need difficult to spare some time to attend and look for the food safety incidences, corrections, corrective and preventive actions, etc. the power, control and pressure will be more on middle manager or junior manager.

What do you say?

:dunno:
Abdul Qudoos.

I agree that's usually the way it works and that's fine as long as the senior management have adequate understanding, show appropriate interest and provide suitable resources and support to the ones doing the work. As they would to sales, accounts, production etc.

Regards,
Simon

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality Management Systems, HACCP

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:19 AM

Where I work, I am the HACCP team leader because within the entire management team, I am only the one who know (and wants to know) anything about HACCP.

Getting the guys on the factory floor involved in HACCP was difficult but at least I have managed to persuade a good few to become active in the HACCP team.

Directors on the other hand are an entirely different kettle of fish. Even though I am the HACCP team leader, I find that the MD and other directors try to take over the meetings and often use them as a vehicle to convey impending doom if we don't all work harder/longer/for less money. Trying to keep the directors focused on HACCP at HACCP team meetings can be difficult (my MD keeps telling me that he's been a butcher since he was 15 and knows everything there is to know about food safety!) but I have found a way. I simply recap food poisoning outbreaks and mention people that have died as a result of them and it shuts the directors up!!

I also then kudos with the guys on the factory floor which means they listen to me when it comes to implementing HACCP on a day to day basis!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:57 AM

Where I work, I am the HACCP team leader because within the entire management team, I am only the one who know (and wants to know) anything about HACCP.

Getting the guys on the factory floor involved in HACCP was difficult but at least I have managed to persuade a good few to become active in the HACCP team.

Directors on the other hand are an entirely different kettle of fish. Even though I am the HACCP team leader, I find that the MD and other directors try to take over the meetings and often use them as a vehicle to convey impending doom if we don't all work harder/longer/for less money. Trying to keep the directors focused on HACCP at HACCP team meetings can be difficult (my MD keeps telling me that he's been a butcher since he was 15 and knows everything there is to know about food safety!) but I have found a way. I simply recap food poisoning outbreaks and mention people that have died as a result of them and it shuts the directors up!!

I also then kudos with the guys on the factory floor which means they listen to me when it comes to implementing HACCP on a day to day basis!

Well done. :thumbup: It's not easy being the meat in the sandwich. It truly is a necessity to be able to communciate at all levels and be diplomatic. I think this is a skill many quality managers must possess or acquire if they want to be successful. Sounds like you have it about right.

Regards,
Simon

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:27 AM

Well done. :thumbup: It's not easy being the meat in the sandwich. It truly is a necessity to be able to communciate at all levels and be diplomatic. I think this is a skill many quality managers must possess or acquire if they want to be successful. Sounds like you have it about right.

Regards,
Simon

From reading my last post on this matter, I might know about HACCP but I seem to be losing my ability to write English proper!!

I think a few years in the cut and thrust of local politics helped me gain many of my skills in dealing with employees, managers, customers and enforcement officers but sometimes, just once in a while, sheer bluntness and bloody mindedness is necessary.

I often find a certain irony in the fact that directors baulk at the idea of spending money on food safety but are happy to waste it on trips to a football match. Once, I was told that I would have to wait for cleaning chemicals and sanitiser to arrive because they wouldn't pay £30 for the carriage to get it overnight (we were in danger of running out) but was then told that they were going to book an entire executive suite at a football ground at a cost of over £3000. I used several words of a certain nature, which cannot be repeated here, to make my point and eventually persuaded them to get my chemicals.

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

... and eventually persuaded them to get my chemicals.

On reading this, I realised how bad this sounds. I should have said "...and eventually persuaded them to get my cleaning chemicals"!

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

What a relief! I thought your need for chemicals was what caused the rant in the first place. ;)
Maybe all QA personnel need to have an ogre-like disposition once in a while to get things done. I´m the resident ogress in the company and very proud of it!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:15 PM

We used to have our (former) site manager on the HACCP team. He was one of several managers who were trained to level 3 HACCP. All they had to do was submit a project to get the qualification. Guess how many did? Yep, zero.

Anyway, our former site manager once sat in a meeting checking his emails on his blackberry for the entire time. I challenged him about it afterwards and he claimed he did it "deliberately" so I "took control of the meeting". Needless to say I took control by not inviting him again and his lack of interest in food safety or anything frankly apart from shouting at people led to his demise some months later.

IMO it would be great if you could have a production manager or similar as your HACCP TL but has anyone ever managed it (really)? It's like getting blood out of a stone getting production to turn up let alone get them to organise the thing. Same with management review meetings where I work. Frankly every time we have BRC and I come up with all of the "evidence" that we have senior management commitment it's just a joke. Then after all of that, people complain to me when complaints rise!

Ah technical management. Who'd do it? There is a reason why there is a shortage of TMs and QMs in the UK.

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

We used to have our (former) site manager on the HACCP team. He was one of several managers who were trained to level 3 HACCP. All they had to do was submit a project to get the qualification. Guess how many did? Yep, zero.

Anyway, our former site manager once sat in a meeting checking his emails on his blackberry for the entire time. I challenged him about it afterwards and he claimed he did it "deliberately" so I "took control of the meeting". Needless to say I took control by not inviting him again and his lack of interest in food safety or anything frankly apart from shouting at people led to his demise some months later.

IMO it would be great if you could have a production manager or similar as your HACCP TL but has anyone ever managed it (really)? It's like getting blood out of a stone getting production to turn up let alone get them to organise the thing. Same with management review meetings where I work. Frankly every time we have BRC and I come up with all of the "evidence" that we have senior management commitment it's just a joke. Then after all of that, people complain to me when complaints rise!

Ah technical management. Who'd do it? There is a reason why there is a shortage of TMs and QMs in the UK.

Aaw GMO - keep the faith!!Posted Image

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

Aaw GMO - keep the faith!!Posted Image

Ha! I'm on maternity leave at the moment so I don't have to face these hassles! No, I like being a techie really. I think all of us come across these kind of operations people from time to time...

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

We have "Team HACCP" in place and it starts with the plant manager. However, the day to day operation and control does fall into the QA realm, me, as HACCP Coordinator. But if you need to get things done or require new equipment it is good to have the plant manager on board to accept the changes and help push things through.

Jelena C

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

In my previous company and almost all companies in my country, the most senior member of HACCP team is lead technologist or production manager with formal or professional background in food industry because no one is willing to take this high responsibility on their shoulders!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Looking at the results of the poll it is quite heartening to see such a large proportion of senior and very senior personnel on IFSQN members HACCP teams. If they are active members then it surely is great news.

Regards,
Simon

Oldairyman

Grade - AIFSQN

• 38 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Banjo, Scottish Pipes, Earth Science, Family, SQF Consultant

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I Like the Scottish clan crest. A HACCP leader should qualify with atleast 2 requirements , most HACCP trained and highest in the organizational chart. That should put an end to most questions concerning who should lead the HACCP team. Keep it simple. The other observation you made about QA folks, .well its like the difference between BRC and SQF . Under the SQF system the practitioner is resposible for the most of the documentation and validating the programs . BRC on the other hand should , but not always, involve the whole team under the Plant Organization chart. I have only seen a few plants that operate on that high level. In practical applications the SQF works better , because you need a trained coodinator to assimilate all the departments and pre-requisite programs .:smile:

Email me
Thats a very accurate observation in relation to some companies where HACCP is definitely seen to belong to the QA folks. One of the pitfalls of having a multidisciplinary team is that the various departments have their own finely crafted ways of avoiding the meetings, production and engineering will play the 'too busy getting the lines to run' card and for many sales people HACCP is just 5 letters they put on the proposal document to a prospective new customer along with various innacurate descriptions of other certifications. One approach that may go some way to getting the right people on board is to suggest that if they aren't involved then they cannot grumble about the end result. :dunno:

In companies with a lean staff there is often the temptation to let those who have been on the course just get on with it and don't go bothering those with more important things to be getting on with. :(

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users