• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:14 PM

Hi Friends,

When I look into additive used in codex standard,e.g. sweetened condensed milk, I find that "Lecithin - Limited by GMP". I do not know what it is. How can we justify the "Limited by GMP". Please help.

NY

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:48 PM

Dear Narongchai_y
I regret I can't give you a specific answer for lecithin because of ignorance of this item however I can supply an answer to yr general query.
I think the chunk below relating to citric acid (IT) is a typical use/meaning of the terminology you refer -
'ClTRlC ACID (E330) and its Sodium (E331), Potassium (E332) and Calcium (E333) salts have been recognised by the European Community as permitted Food Additives and given "Quantum Satis" status. Quantum Satis indicates that in use there is no stipulated limit. In fact their use is limited only by Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), whereby they can be used to achieve a desired effect while avoiding excessive additions. This recognition is reflected by legislation in the USA where the Food and Drugs Administration award GRAS status (Generally Recognised as Safe) stipulating use according to GMP. Likewise the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) allocated Acceptable Daily Intakes (ADI's) of 'Not Specified", again relying on usage limited by GMP'
Similarly in USFDA regs, can find -
'The degree of health risk of a food additive is determined in FDA's pre-market testing and approval process. Manufacturers must prove in its petition for pre-market approval to FDA that its additives are safe. FDA regulates the type of food in which an additive can be used, the maximum quantity that can be used, and the information that must appear on the label about the additives Regulations known as Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) limit the amount of food and color additives used in foods. Manufacturers use only the amount of an additive necessary to achieve the desired result.'

This all seems (maybe unavoidably) a rather flexible terminology (ie 'excessive' = ?), I also found -
'The Codex Alimentarius Commission Procedural Manual sets out the following relevant
criteria for use in assessing compliance with Good Manufacturing Practice
(a) the quantity of additive added to food shall be limited to the lowest possible level
necessary to accomplish its desired effect
(b) the quantity of the additive that becomes a component of food as a result of its use in
the manufacture, processing or packaging of a food and which is not intended to accomplish any physical, or other technical effect in the finished food itself, is reduced to the extent reasonably possible; and
© the additive is prepared and handled in the same way as a food ingredient

The manner in which a food is intended to be presented (e.g. by the use of such quality
descriptors as natural, pure, traditional etc) may affect the type and level of food additives
that could be used in accordance with GMP. Similarly, the type and level of food additives
used may affect the way in which a food may be presented.'
Hope this is of some assistance.
Regards / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

Was Charles C's answer any use to you NY?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users