• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 29 April 2004 - 05:38 PM

I know one of us may not have a job tomorrow if a mega-bucks recall is being conducted. Thats how serious it can be.

From the outcome of the hazard risk assessment done internally, do we have a choice? This is a huge question which points straight out to:

Social Accountability vs Damage Control (likely to be financial) :crybaby:

While admittedly in the real world, nobody admits there is a potential problem unless evidently so. Where it remains grey, it shall be so. Notwithstanding the fact that the results of the risk assessment is uncertain about the suitability of the products, THE BOSS THINKS it may not be sufficiently serious enough to pose a treat until further evidence prevails...............this is damage control all right!

But in the case of John McDonalds' Burger Stores, it feels that its brand and corporate image may be far too risky to be subject to customer confidence erosion. Despite the uncertainty of the risk assessment, it takes a recall and tells the whole world that it is committed to customer safety...............is this social accountability?

Funny that social accountability and damage control always works in opposite directions. I have to share the common views of many that it is a difficult call. On theory, perhaps, the best call to make could be to retain the affected stocks at all outlets until futher investigations are made. (But it still cost money to hold stocks though)

Its so frightening that I would hate to be confronted with such events or for that matter to make that decision ....to recall or not to recall, that is the question!

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:10 PM

I have a feeling Social Accountability will be the growth Business of this decade. :gleam:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:20 AM

Simon,

Social accountability is definitely about traceability plan and protection of consumers. It also means big budget for unforeseen expenditures.

The forthcoming legislation of traceability plan for EU food manufacturers is definitely ON.

Once again, we are on the same page with regards to social accountability and this is going to have far reaching implications for both customers and providers.

It would be interesting to know what kind of plans will the OVERSEAS MANUFACTURERS and LOCAL DISTRIBUTING AGENTS come up with. This should be a great topic to discuss on this forum.

I guess "Social Accountability" helps to build and enhance brands and images whilst, "Damage Control" saves money and lives..........everyone has a job to go back to.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users