Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 May 2004 - 11:29 AM

The link below will take you to an article on the IQA web site titled Food Glorious Food. The Article appeared in the May 2004 edition of Quality Word, which is the Institute of Quality Assurance magazine.

The article provides a brief overview of worldwide food safety standards currently in operation as well providing some information on the new ISO 22000 standard and where it is expected to fit into the global food safety picture.

Food Glorious Food.
Food is subject to a dazzling array of different standards, all of which aim to assure the safety and quality of the final product. But to many people these standards serve no obvious purpose and only lead consumers to confusion and ambivalence, or worse, heightened concern. Jacob Faergemand, Jamie Hunt, Benoit Mathieu and Chris Garner of BVQi look at the food industry's key standards and consider whether a new standard in development by ISO could be just what the industry needs

Read Full Article

Any Comments?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:14 AM

ISO 15161 (fairly prescriptive) was established as implementation guidelines for ISO 9K for the food and drink industry. With these guidelines, integrating Haccp principles with existing ISO 9K would supposedly meet the requirements of ISO 15161. Where then would ISO 22K be amongst all these?

Information extracted from "QW Food Glorious Food"seems to suggest that under ISO 22K (pending final draft) it would introduce "Interactive Communications" with direct customers as one of its requirements.

Accordingly, direct customer interactive communications are meant:
1. To ensure that all relevant food safety hazards are identified and adequately controlled at each step of the food chain.
Q: Does this mean that suppliers' role and responsibility goes beyond meeting supply contracts? The implications from this "burden" is yours to imagine.

2. Assist in substantiating customers and supplies requirements regarding feasibility, needs and impact of the end product.
Q: I would agree if the relationship is one of a fast food franchise but this to me is absurd. Is this practical?

Could this be a case of over development of standards with no real incremental values.

Charle Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

Could this be a case of over development of standards with no real incremental values.

I though you were a consultant Charles. :drunk:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:04 AM

Yes but I am doing consultancy as a referred freelance very selectively and is a very minor player in my country but my haccp certification body is world renowned. For all this, I am thankful to my Australian principal and American friends.

:off_topic: However my days in this field are numbered as I would be looking forward to developing my entrepreneur skills with my business partner in the medical / laboratory consumables which I hope to get the products into the markets very soon.

Observing the day-to-day difficulties in maintaining any management systems in many organizations, it pains me to see irrelevant systems being put in place due to industrial peer pressure.

:off_topic: I actually discourage ISO 9K for small and medium food companies wanting to embrace Haccp for just one reason - time! But they are encouraged to embrace ISO 9K as they grow.

You can never lock up knowledge and keep it away from others forever. It has been designed to be shared.....eventually.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:33 AM

Did you know that if an "interactive communication" procedure to meet two (2) specific requirements under the pending ISO 22K were to be introduced, you would have to show written and verified evidences to the system auditor that this verification has been complied with.

Amazing. I am sure there will be a lot of field trips to the marketplace in fulfilling this compliance. Will the sales personnel be qualified to do this job or would it have to be the QC Manager or someone suitably qualified.

Business is never a level playing field anywhere. It would be interesting to know how the smaller organizations would response to this new standard. I know the big boys have huge budgets and love new rules.

From my observations, Haccp, ISO 9K and BRC / IFS will remain the core system references unless business NOT market forces prevails.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users