• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are my 3 year old fish fingers OK to eat?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

Lot's of highbrow, technical discussion takes place on the the forums, but I'd like to bring it down to my level for a minute.

Last night whilst cleaning out my freezer chest I found an unopened packet of fish fingers buried beneath the ice and snow; they'd been there for quite some time and had a 'use by' date of 21st September 2003. They were within the 'use by' date when I purchased them [frozen] and they were stored in the freezer straight away, where they have remained at about -20C.

When I look at the date on the label eating three year old fish fingers makes me nervous, but when I look at the picture below...

Is it safe?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:24 PM

Last night whilst cleaning out my freezer chest I found an unopened packet of fish fingers buried beneath the ice and snow; they'd been there for quite some time and had a 'use by' date of 21st September 2003. They were within the 'use by' date when I purchased them [frozen] and they were stored in the freezer straight away, where they have remained at about -20C.

When I look at the date on the label eating three year old fish fingers makes me nervous, but when I look at the picture below...

Is it safe?

Leaving aside your freezer management :lol2: I think the recomended maximum time for frozen fish is 6 months, whether they are microbiologically safe to eat after this time I have no idea but I imagine the texture would be pretty mushy once defrosted, those pesky ice crystals are awfully sharp you know. If you were to follow the serving suggestion of a nice dollop of ketchup then so long as you dip each bit in there you will be fine, there isn't a micro-organism alive that can withstand the low Ph of such high sugar levels :lol2:

Bon Apetit

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:54 AM

Dear Simon,
Yes, the picture is safe.
As to the product, depends on your liking for rancidity.
Prepare for French-football disease (Z. pibitis).
Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

Dear Simon,
Prepare for French-football disease (Z. pibitis).

:uhm:

:helpplease:

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:08 PM

Simon

deep fry said fish fingers in a good quality oil (will kill off any bacteria, hopefully)

serving in cheap, plastic white bread with a liberal dollop of marg, salt and oodles of pepper

lovely jubbly!!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:17 PM

deep fry said fish fingers in a good quality oil (will kill off any bacteria, hopefully)
serving in cheap, plastic white bread with a liberal dollop of marg, salt and oodles of pepper

lovely jubbly!!

Indeed. Is it too hot for the Chippy; (rhetorical question) is it ever too hot for the chippy? We've got a really good one near us, golden brown chips and batter to die for. It will get me in the end, but at least I'll die happy. :death: :wtg:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:05 AM

Dear Simon,
The original fish fingers actually contained quite large amounts of fish. This has progressively declined so the modern product is perhaps safer in this respect. Good luck.
Rgds / Charles.C
(in case of over-subtlety, Z = Zidane, pib = pain in belly)
PS - don't forget the vinegar.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

Dear Simon,
The original fish fingers actually contained quite large amounts of fish. This has progressively declined so the modern product is perhaps safer in this respect. Good luck.

I don't know if Captain Birdseye casts his net as far as you Charles, but their packets of fishy digits now contain 100% cod. An about turn in quality I think. Granted they don't go as far as to say which parts of the fish are in there. :dunno:

(in case of over-subtlety, Z = Zidane, pib = pain in belly)

I think it was mate.
:whoosh:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:17 PM

Dear Simon,
Does this mean there is no breading ? I'm guessing but breading started at maybe 20- 25% then started to go up. If it's only cod, the Captain must have a special quota. Nonetheless, you are cetainly correct in that all sorts of fishy species have been tested. I had some on a BA flight a few years ago (kid's meal, I thought it would be safer) and it was unexpectedly tasty. In my area it varies but can be described as 'white fish".
Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

just me

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 61 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:35 AM

Hi, we think that the frozen fish is safe mostly from the microbiological point of view. But I have something to share.

I had this client who does frozen partially cooked meat. We did the shelf life test to validate the shelf life of the product. The thing was that although the mirobe count was stable throughout the months of storage in the freezer, the product shelf life did not pass 3 months because of the increasingly higher peroxide value.

Just food for thought.

Cheers,

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:27 AM

Dear Simon,
I extracted this from one of the Saferpak dwlable items -

A ‘‘Use by'' date appears on perishable foods that are prone to microbiological deterioration, e.g. yogurts, cheese, meat and fish. Consumption after the ‘‘Use by'' date presents a food poisoning risk. Some products may also be labelled with advice to ‘‘eat within x days of purchase''.

A ‘‘Best before'' date is used on most foods that are not prone to microbiological decay. It consists of a day, month and year, although for longer-life foods such as canned and some frozen foods, it may just be a month and year, or even just a year, in which case it will be preceded by the word ‘‘end''. ‘‘Best before'' dates refer to the time period in which the product remains in peak eating condition rather than representing a food safety risk.

If true would appear you are liable to micro. reactions at least (does frying eliminate toxins?). I predict the modern fish fingers use "Best Before" but with understood exclusions like 3yrs.
You could always test share it out first (the nearest and dearest?).
My guess is that you've eaten it already.

Rgds / Charles.C

Edited by Charles.C, 24 July 2006 - 05:30 AM.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:12 AM

Dear Simon,
I extracted this from one of the Saferpak dwlable items -

A ''Use by'' date appears on perishable foods that are prone to microbiological deterioration, e.g. yogurts, cheese, meat and fish. Consumption after the ''Use by'' date presents a food poisoning risk. Some products may also be labelled with advice to ''eat within x days of purchase''.

A ''Best before'' date is used on most foods that are not prone to microbiological decay. It consists of a day, month and year, although for longer-life foods such as canned and some frozen foods, it may just be a month and year, or even just a year, in which case it will be preceded by the word ''end''. ''Best before'' dates refer to the time period in which the product remains in peak eating condition rather than representing a food safety risk.

If true would appear you are liable to micro. reactions at least (does frying eliminate toxins?). I predict the modern fish fingers use "Best Before" but with understood exclusions like 3yrs.
You could always test share it out first (the nearest and dearest?).
My guess is that you've eaten it already.

Rgds / Charles.C

Thanks for clarifying the difference between 'Use by' and 'Best before'. We will have to remeber when someone asks as I'm sure they will. The fish fingers are long gone I tested them on the kids and they're still here. :lol2:

Regards,
Simon

just me

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 61 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:26 AM

The fish fingers are long gone I tested them on the kids and they're still here. :lol2:

Ha, typical dad. :lol2:

Cheers,

Edited by just me, 25 July 2006 - 03:28 AM.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:38 AM

The fish fingers are long gone I tested them on the kids and they're still here. :lol2:

Regards,
Simon

So didn't you try them Simon???????????
Or did you think that they may not have been safe to eat ????? ;)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:56 AM

So didn't you try them Simon???????????
Or did you think that they may not have been safe to eat ????? ;)

I like to follow in the traditions of our Heraldic past. And you know in those days the King would never be the first to taste his food. :king:

sskubisnac

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

Simon, I have to ask the question, have you actually purchased any foodstuffs recently or are you existing solely on the remains of a big shop from sometime pre 2000?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

Simon, I have to ask the question, have you actually purchased any foodstuffs recently or are you existing solely on the remains of a big shop from sometime pre 2000?

Are you teling me everything in your freezer is in date? :uhm:

sskubisnac

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

There may be some remnants from the last ice age lurking at the back ........

:thumbup:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

There may be some remnants from the last ice age lurking at the back ........

:thumbup:

One thing I must get rid of is an old trout caught by my neighbour. I topped and tailed it and removed the guts and put it in the freezer about 3 years ago. I haven't had the heart to throw it away, but have no intention of eating it. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Simon

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

Why did you not eat the trout? Blimey it wouldn't last in my freezer for 3 years. It wouldn't have made it to the freezer, just straight to the barbeque!

I suggest getting a smaller freezer. It forces ruthlessness and good rotation!

sskubisnac

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

My neighbour is an old trout .... wish someone would eat her!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

Dear All,

We seem to be gettting some overlapping with the "wildest dreams" thread :smile:

It must be approaching the centennial aniversary of fish fingers, Sir Birdseye I believe.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality Management Systems, HACCP

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

How does anyone keep food in their freezer for that long? I stock up my freezer every month, taking everything out and putting new products at the back and moving existing stock to the front so it is used first.

Mind you, I'm a bit of sad bloke like that - I do the same in the cupboards, fridge etc. Even worse, I have all of the labels forward facing. Her indoors thinks I am a complete lunatic when it comes to food!!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

How does anyone keep food in their freezer for that long? I stock up my freezer every month, taking everything out and putting new products at the back and moving existing stock to the front so it is used first.

Mind you, I'm a bit of sad bloke like that - I do the same in the cupboards, fridge etc. Even worse, I have all of the labels forward facing. Her indoors thinks I am a complete lunatic when it comes to food!!

Have you ever worked in a mini-mart?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:53 AM

Sounds like you should be training retailers!

Regards,

Tony :smile:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users