Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 June 2004 - 02:16 PM

During shopping today I picked up a dented can of soup, frightened, I quickly put it back and swapped it for an undamaged one.

The fear of ‘dents in cans' harks back to when I was a small boy and used to go shopping with my mother. She warned that damaged cans are bad and can make you ill.

If a can has a dent but is not punctured is there a risk to food safety? Is my mother right or wrong? :dunno:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Puzzle

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Petrolhead, sleeping, too much food and many other items that are forgotten!!

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

I remember when the dented cans were sold 'cheap' to get rid, due to your comments above.

It was probably right at one time.

If the dent is not defined, ie a crease I do not worry these days, but still ask for a discount!! Rarely get it though. Hence your odd cans in wrong places and other things thread!!

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:41 AM

Puzzle is defintiely not puzzled cos he is right....most dented cans are sold off during "promotions" just to get rid of them.

There are two types of cans - Tin and Aluminium. The aluminium ones are okay if slightly dented on the body but will depend on the type of products one is referring to when defects appear on the seaming section of the top end (reason why it is called a two-piece can). This may give rise to pre-mature oxidation effects to canned foods due to micro leaks or a quality issue when carbonation retention is important.....like the good old beer! Do not hesitate to buy CHEAP BEER if the dents appear only on the body section.

As for the tin materials, the entire structure must be sound otherwise don't bother putting them into your shopping basket. A couple ofareas you would need to be observing. The seaming section on both top and bottom must be even and show no seaming deformities or irregularities. The welding section (the reason why it is called a 3-piece can) of the body must be free from leaks, rust or deformities etc. Tin cans also contain a special type of food grade lacquor sprayed on and is used primarily as a barrier between the "product" and the tin surface which rusts when in contact with water surface and oxygen. Therefore, a sharp dent on the can will basically "break" the lacquor and allow contact.....and god knows what will happen from there.

Expiry date in this case has nothing to do with the integrity of the product so unless you are desperately short of a couple of bucks, DO NOT BUY DENTED TIN CANNED FOODS.

Charles Chew
:beer:

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:18 AM

You know these forums are pretty good. Thanks for the excellent advice guys. :thumbup:

I never doubted my Mother for a moment... :bop:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 27 June 2004 - 02:53 PM

Simon,

All mothers give the same advice. My mum told me the same thing.

But your mother did not tell you about how to look out for BAD UHT packs ie. Exhibit "A" ....right.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:42 PM

But your mother did not tell you about how to look out for BAD UHT packs ie. Exhibit "A" ....right.

Right! :oops:

Whilst we are on the subject I hope to get a response in the next few days, maybe we can put the thing to bed before the end of July. :crybaby:

Regards,
Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users