• Quick Navigation
Photo

What Haccp Software (if Any) Do You Use?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 July 2004 - 06:19 PM

There are a few 'off the shelf' HACCP software programs on the market and then there's MS packages such as Word and PowerPoint. I wondered what the members of the forums use to create their HACCP's and why?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:53 AM

Simon,

Generic off-the-shelf HACCP software programs are very useful aids for those who have absolutely no inkling of what HACCP is and how to approach a Haccp Plan development program.

However, there are only as good as what they can do up to the level as a generic model in the form of a guideline. As it is so different from that of say, an ISO 9K development set up, a HACCP Plan is truly a living set of documents subject to changes and challenges all the time and is designed to meet the dynamic requirements of an environment.

While software programs are not exactly all encompassing, it serves to play an important role in providing a good footing for any HACCP Team in achieving solid fundamentals and basis for further advancements.

Yes, I would strongly encourage procurement of external software programs to help heighten knowledge and be up to speed with the latest techniques as well.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:56 AM

We use MS Word, Excel, Visio and they've been working pretty well so far together with an Intranet and a Mail Client for document sharing.

No need to use specific SW.

We're currently planning to buy a Document Management System SW but it will be used for the whole company documentation, not only for HACCP Management.

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:07 AM

We have QSA software for HACCP but only tend to use this for document status and control. I tend to use Excel and Word for documenting the HACCP and then issue out internally as pdf files using Adobe Acrobat.

The problems with the generic package include:

Lack of flexibility

No risk assesment

HACCP format not always to Codex standards

I agree with Charles that these are only good for novices but would think the money was better spent on some good HACCP training. :smarty:

P.S. If your after a free way of converting Word files to pdf try Open Office for either Linux or Windows.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:18 PM

I agree once the HACCP methodology is learned and you get your own comfortable format, then I personally feel that MS word, excel and access are sufficient tools. Using hyperlinking techniques and company networks / intranets you can get great results that allow you to share documents and images and allow for easy document control.

How much does HACCP software cost? Is anyone using it to great effect?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:23 AM

Interestingly, I was only asked yesterday to provide a HACCP implementaton program over say 8 to 10 months (inclusive of all training) for a company that would need me to travel a flight journey of about 3 hours.

Obviously, the distance itself does not provide me the privilege of seeing my potential client as readily as I would want to be. Therefore, breaking down the implementation format into "digestable" modules is important. (The same goes to all external and internal training and implementation programs, anyway)....so there is really no difference here except for lack of "real communicable" contact.

In this case, I have to take the e-Haccp platform which would incorporate webcam (active) and email contacts (passive). Non-interactive formats used would be Powerpoint and Words. Training materials in adobe or words. With all of the above, initial implementation requires travel to obtain core information. After that, its all about interactive communication until validations and verifications are in order for "on-site" confirmation again.

For those who have branches and offices in other countries or states, you may want to consider this as a cost-saving approach not only in your implementation but probably establish you own e-training systems. But it does have its limitations for internal applications, however, if managed right, you would achieve integrated and consistent policy implementation and also serve as an internal verification tool as well.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users