Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:08 AM

I wondered if any of the experts out there could help with this.

A food industry organisation operates a sick pay scheme and in their procedures it state that employees cannot work if they are sufferring from food poisoning and they cannot return to work until ‘signed off' as fit and healthy by their Doctor.

This obviously opens up an avenue for employees who claim to be suffering from ‘food poisoning' to throw one and two day sickies - and it is currently being exploited.

Any ideas on how this can be controlled?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:33 AM

Simon,

Food poisoning are normally classified into several categories. It may not necessarily mean that the workers may not be able to work.

Assuming that the food poisoning attack is mild and he is medically certified fit to work except for the occasional need to "take a break", you may want to remove him from the production line and transfer him to work in a low risk area.

However, if he is medically found to be unfit to work, I guess evidence is needed to convince Management that his sickies should be given. That will depend on how you deal with your panel of doctors. As long as a valid Medical Certificate is provided by the worker, there is no dispute.

Most organizations have sick-pay schemes and Management relies entirely on the integrity of their panel doctors to make and do the right thing, professionally. Of course, trending of doctors giving Medical Certificate freely warrants attention and that includes the workers track records as well. This is why there is always an annual limit to the number of payable sicky days OR the value of the sick pay whichever is lower.

Many ways to skin this cat. That depends on how the relationship is valued between Management and the Workers.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:59 AM

In the UK most people go to their own Doctor when they are ill. This Doctor is not usually affiliated to the company but has probably known the individual for many years - not that I'm suggesting anything improper. So if an employee rings in work and says "I've got food poisoning" what should the company do? What specific tests should they require the employee to undertake in order to verify the illness in th efirst instance and also to verify the all clear?

It is not good enough for someoneto go to their Doctor and say, I've had food poisoning and I'm better now but I need a note to say I'm OK.

Any more help appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Edwina Chicken Currie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:37 PM

Compulsory stool testing!!!!!! :oops:

· Results are fairly rapid (c. 48hrs).
· Genuine carriers can be identified (and given a large pot of natural yogurt or lassi to consume).
· Negatives can be noted, and disciplinary action taken for repeat offenders.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:18 AM

Fiona,

Sounds like a good idea. A rapid test for "false positive" on sicky claim. Hmm! wonder if you would have an issue with the trade union on this one!

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Edwina Chicken Currie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:16 AM

Good point Charles - it's all about the sales pitch.........

We need more support from unions, to implement systems that will meet the needs of the standard against which the customer representative will audit.
How else do you keep the orders coming in, keep their members in employment, and keep the membership fees rolling in????!!!!

I've worked for a number of highly unionised food manufacturing companies who have adopted this system without issue.

Employees have a right to claim sick pay for genuine illness.
Customers and consumers have a right to purchase foods that are not acting as the vector of food poisoning from the ill (or ‘carrier', where symptoms not displayed), employee.

If a person has a history of repeated suspected food poisoning, the food (or related) industry is not the sector to work in!!!

SOLD!!!!!

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 09 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

Okay! Okay!.............I am a sucker for sales pitch. We can talk more about it but we need to devise an approach to make the workers feel good about taking the test and yet his integrity is not at stake.

LIAR! LIAR! :hypocrite: We should be working for the Union?

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users