Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:08 AM

Dear Posters

To further expand the above contributions I was recently informed by a colleague after a visit to the Ashes controllers that he saw "normal" establishments whose primary activity was to sell date expired food products. I would really like to know how you control that for safety / quality whatever - must be sold within 1 week/year of expired date / pre-sampling of lot by owner (QM representative) showed no visually deleterious effects within 24 hrs ( burning shoe rubber) ??

If true, this may be a unique cultural trait ? (or someone's having me on)

Regards
Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:24 AM

Hi Charles,

I am sure you have read the other tread on customer complaint under this segment which brings us to the subject od food safety. True that a product may be be unsafe for consumption even though its well before the indicated expiry date.....some bacteria shows but the dangerous ones do not.

Yes, I agree it is unusual to run a business on "due-to-expire" soon products.....but I do know that it is normally against the law to sell them though. I believe its the same over where you are.

As for expired non-food products, I guess "buyer beware" principles applies. Admittedly, I bought a pair of well known branded running shoes (that cost a mere fraction of the usual SP) but guess what......the front gave way in less than a month.......that was not good image for the company but then I bought it knowing that it had well past its economic life..........(I did not know then that there is such a thing as glue bacteria :whistle: )

Might be worth taking a trip to the Ashes to find out the truth :dunno:

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:05 AM

To further expand the above contributions I was recently informed by a colleague after a visit to the Ashes controllers...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are the Ashes controllers?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

nofear

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:36 AM

:lol: Good one Charles, it sounds a bit like my wifes cooking. :cm:  I like the definition below, it's nice and simple...like me! :uhm:

'The safeguarding, or protection of food from anything that could harm the consumer's health.'

Regards,
Simon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

in my mind, i think shelf life mainly concern about the "quality" rather than "safety" issue. previously, there was a food company consultant asked me, why the company have to print the expired date on the product? she answered me, this is the way to protect their own company reputation as well as benefits. sommore, in my experience, i had tried to buy expired milo powder, there are not much diffrences except the visual appearance. morover still have 50% discount :clap:
but lately, another consultant told me, shelf life of product concerned about the "safety" issue under HACCP. so, i think is the time to change my mind. anyway, product expired means that food is not safe to eat, i think this is just mindset of consumer

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:10 PM

in my mind, i think shelf life mainly concern about the "quality" rather than "safety" issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree but at some point after the expiry date it may become a safety issue. There has to be an expiry date, but accuracy of it in terms of safety is unpredictable. I often eat out of date foods and it hasn't done me any harm. Although reading back on this thread I'm not so sure. :lol:

Regards,
Simon :santa:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users