Jim Wade

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:All aspects of continual improvement

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:42 PM

If you take ISO 9001 really seriously, it's best you don't read this!

rgds Jim

Attached Files

Edited by Jim Wade, 19 July 2004 - 09:44 PM.

raylaw123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:22 PM

rgds Jim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks jim, i do agree with most of the contents of this guide, and it's helpful for me.

Bonno

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Web design, Football (football team linked above), Music, Reading, Films - usual stuff really.<br /><br />Would like to give golf a try but have not got around to it yet.<br /><br />I have also heard that having weekends off is quite good, so intend to give that a try soon and see if I like it!

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:58 AM

Jim,

Excellent. :clap: :lol2:

Thank you.

Alan

Your mind is a parachute, it doesn't work when it's closed....Frank Zappa

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:31 AM

Hi Jim,

Great satire. This stuff really gave me a good break and kept me going yesterday!

Picked up a new line also yesterday.........Japanese started 5S and I had this Thai Consultant who started on 5I

1. IMITATE
2. IMPROVE
3. IMPROVISE
4. INNOVATE
5. INVENT

Give it a thought. I thk it is damn good!

And about PDAC (ISO 9K).... there is PPP which stands for PLAN, PROMOTE, POLICE AND PRODUCE

CHarlesCHew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Peter_Pan__

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

rgds Jim

Hi Jim,

So funny! :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing!

Pedro

chen

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

Hi Jim,

Great satire. This stuff really gave me a good break and kept me going yesterday!

Picked up a new line also yesterday.........Japanese started 5S and I had this Thai Consultant who started on 5I

1. IMITATE
2. IMPROVE
3. IMPROVISE
4. INNOVATE
5. INVENT

Give it a thought. I thk it is damn good!

And about PDAC (ISO 9K).... there is PPP which stands for PLAN, PROMOTE, POLICE AND PRODUCE

CHarlesCHew

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the long overdue response - I only joined in recently and come across this thread only now.

Regarding '5I' - my business school lecturers attribute it to the Japanese also. Look at how they progress since the 1950/60's. First they imitate the Americans - take cars for example. Then they improve and improvise (toyota and datsun of the late 60/early 70). Then they innovate (70/80 period) and finally they invent. Last year, Toyota made more than a billion $, while GM lost more than 4 billion $.

The Koreans seems to be doing exactly the same but on a much sharper learning curve. Infact, this should be the model our local SMI's should be copying.

Regards,
Chen.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:44 AM

Regarding '5I' - my business school lecturers attribute it to the Japanese also. Look at how they progress since the 1950/60's. First they imitate the Americans - take cars for example. Then they improve and improvise (toyota and datsun of the late 60/early 70). Then they innovate (70/80 period) and finally they invent. Last year, Toyota made more than a billion $, while GM lost more than 4 billion $.

The Koreans seems to be doing exactly the same but on a much sharper learning curve. Infact, this should be the model our local SMI's should be copying.

My question would be what happens next? In 20-30 years time will the shoe be back on the other foot, or will somebody different be wearing it?

By the way what are SMI's?

Welcome to the forums Chen. :bye:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

chen

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:26 AM

My question would be what happens next? In 20-30 years time will the shoe be back on the other foot, or will somebody different be wearing it?

By the way what are SMI's?

Welcome to the forums Chen. :bye:

Regards,
Simon

Interesting Simon,

Inventions or breakthroughs don't happen everyday. For long established or matured goods and products like shoes, it's even more difficult.

A shoe is a shoe, is a shoe! But look at Nike - by small innovations here and there, they differentiate their products that sell like hot cakes and had them laughing to the bank.

You literally work on making small improvements here and there while looking forward to pull of a gigantic change with a new invention. It does not happen frequently - cos' not many Einsteins around. Am I talking of ISO 9001? - if you don't like ISO, then I am talking about the 'sitting duck' syndrome.

However, shoes are part of fashion or accessories. We can be sure that our grand parents shoes will be back in fashion some days. Not exactly as it was some 50 years back but with little changes here and there. That is another innovation!

It's application in 'technology' such as mobile phones is more visible. Analog to digital to 2G, 2.5G then 3G and with numerous innovations along the way. Some other things are already cooking in their pot but it's still a secret. We can expect something new in maybe 2-3 years.

Incidentally, SMI refers to small medium industries - a term which Charles, my fellow country-man is well aware of. I will try to remember not to use localized terms when posting in an international forum.

Regards.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:30 AM

I will try to remember not to use localized terms when posting in an international forum.

I really must apologise Chen it appears I have done the same thing. When I said:

I didn't mean to turn the debate to shoes - I'll explain; in the UK when we say "the shoe is on the other foot" we mean it is the opposing persons turn. So what I meant was in 20-30 years time will the US be the leaders again or will it be neither Japan nor the US and be somebody completely different such as India or China.

It did give me a chuckle this morning. I'm sorry for being such a twit. :lol2:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

chen

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

It did give me a chuckle this morning. I'm sorry for being such a twit. :lol2:

Hi Simon,

On the contrary, I think its a good discussion. I use the shoe example to illustrate innovation but what you mentioned is pertinent. There is this thing called the 'late starters' advantage. If countries like Korea mastered the '5I', they are going to catch up with many of the current leaders in terms of industrialization.

The first three 'I' will quickly enable them to bridge their gap with the leaders. But to innovate and invent, you need to have a big pool of talents and the relevant infrastructure and it will take time to catch up. Of course you can create a package to attract talents like what one of my neighbouring country is doing in biotechnology.

Rgds.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:45 PM

Of course you can create a package to attract talents like what one of my neighbouring country is doing in biotechnology.

Who / what is this Chen?

chen

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

Who / what is this Chen?

I am referring to Singapore, Simon. They are attracting top brains all over the world with attractive package and incentives especially in the field of biotechnology.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the clarification Chen.

Regards,
Simon

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:54 AM

Incredible. I would long thought that this thread had already gone to the dogs. Interestingly, the 5Is Project in Thailand was mooted to become part of an unannounced Major Government project to ......."would you believe it" - create a Special Elite Group of Highly "Innovative Businessmen"

SO much for innovation if not a better term for "Copycats" Then again who is not doing it. Its happening within the US itself anyway.

Copycats........No! I think not............but rather improvising better versions of the original and then we innovate from there and then we create inventions from there .....now you know why the world is ROUND!

Chen - Yes! 5Is for SMIs in our country is already happening albeit in unassuming profiles (privately driven w/o the G support). As a matter of fact, its the way to go. Would you take preference for a longer route to success when there is in fact a shorter one creaming to be taken.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Witch

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany