selminay

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hi everbody,
I am trying to arrange a Management Review Meeting. According to ISO 22000 standard following actions should be reviewed in the meeting. Could you please help me to clarify what they mean. It would be nice to have examples, possibly URGENT.

1- Changing circumtances that can effect food safety
2- Review of communication activities, including customer feed-back.
3- Analysis of results of verification activities

Regards,
Selmin

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:53 PM

Hi everbody,
I am trying to arrange a Management Review Meeting. According to ISO 22000 standard following actions should be reviewed in the meeting. Could you please help me to clarify what they mean. It would be nice to have examples, possibly URGENT.

Regards,
Selmin

I have no experience with ISO 22000 so my contribution may be more of a hindrance to you than a help, but in the spirit of the forums I will try. At least the conversation has begun Selmin.

Maybe this article will provide some assistance:

A Global Standard Puzzle Solved? How the ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System Integrates HACCP and More

"FSMS Management Review. Management review ensures the continued effectiveness of the food safety management system. The review goes beyond verification of the efficiency of the management system. Management review is conducted by top management. It is to be used as a platform for the exchange of new ideas with open discussion and evaluation of the food safety management system. The output of management review should provide the data for planning performance improvements of the food safety management system, and performance objectives for products and processes. In addition, management review generates recommendations for improvement in the structure of the food safety management system, allocation of resources, mitigation plans for identified risks, and strategic planning for future needs of the organization with respect to food safety requirements."

With regard to your points above:

Maybe changes in food law, scientific advances or breakthroughs, emerging issues, changes or requests by customers

Customer complaints, product recalls, advise on specification changes

Pass. :dunno:

Maybe wrong, definitely not complete, anybody else?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

charlorne

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:ISO 22000:2005<br />HACCP<br />GMP<br />ISO 9001<br />ISO 14001

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

I have no experience with ISO 22000 so my contribution may be more of a hindrance to you than a help, but in the spirit of the forums I will try. At least the conversation has begun Selmin.

Maybe this article will provide some assistance:

A Global Standard Puzzle Solved? How the ISO 22000 Food Safety Management System Integrates HACCP and More
With regard to your points above:

Maybe changes in food law, scientific advances or breakthroughs, emerging issues, changes or requests by customers

Pass. :dunno:

Maybe wrong, definitely not complete, anybody else?

Regards,
Simon

Hello

In the attachment to this message is an agenda for your Management Review Meeting

Cheers

Lorne

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

selminay

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

Thank you very much for your help.
Actually I prepared an agenda for the meeting and wrote responsible departments. Meeting will include both ISO 9000 and ISO 22000 standards. I asked the people to send their data analyses for the meeting. Exp. customer satisfaction surveys, analyses of non-conformity reports during the 2006, anaylsis of external audit reports,..etc.

1- Follow up actions from last year's management review
2- Quality and Food Safety Policy and Results of 2006 Objectives (all managers)
3- Internal Audit Reports (Quality Assurance)
4- Statistic of Customer and Consumer Complaints (Marketing Management, Supply Chain Management)
5- Measurement of Customer and Customer Satisfaction (Marketing Management, Supply Chain Management)
6- Measurement of Employee Satisfaction (Human Resources Management)
7- Non-conformity reports of finish products which are collected from sales points (Quality Control)
7- Non-conformity reports of production lines (Quality Control, Factory Management)
8- Statue of corrective, preventive and improvement actions (Quality Assurance)
9- Analysis of results of verification activities (HACCP Team)
10- Changing circumtances that can effect food safety (HACCP Team)
11- Emergency situations, accidents and withdrawal (includes recalls) (Supply Chain Department, Factory Management)
12- Review of communication activities, including customer feed-back. (Marketing Management, Supply Chain Management)
13-External audits and inspections (Quality Assurance)

Only for 9, 10 and 12 we do not have data analyses. How can we measure them? Only discussion in the meeting is enough?

Simon, now I can understand that section 12 could be reviewed with customer complaints analysis and satisfaction surveys. they are customer feed-back.

Regards,

Thanked by 1 Member:

PedroP

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

Thank yo very much for all this information, because I will have to prepare this as well, and it is a wonderfull guide.

Pedro

Actually I prepared an agenda for the meeting and wrote responsible departments. Meeting will include both ISO 9000 and ISO 22000 standards. I asked the people to send their data analyses for the meeting. Exp. customer satisfaction surveys, analyses of non-conformity reports during the 2006, anaylsis of external audit reports,..etc.

4- Statistic of Customer and Consumer Complaints (Marketing Management, Supply Chain Management)
5- Measurement of Customer and Customer Satisfaction (Marketing Management, Supply Chain Management)
7- Non-conformity reports of finish products which are collected from sales points (Quality Control)
7- Non-conformity reports of production lines (Quality Control, Factory Management)
11- Emergency situations, accidents and withdrawal (includes recalls) (Supply Chain Department, Factory Management)
12- Review of communication activities, including customer feed-back. (Marketing Management, Supply Chain Management)

Only for 9, 10 and 12 we do not have data analyses. How can we measure them? Only discussion in the meeting is enough?

Simon, now I can understand that section 12 could be reviewed with customer complaints analysis and satisfaction surveys. they are customer feed-back.

Regards,

selminay

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

You're welcome :)
Selmin

Thank yo very much for all this information, because I will have to prepare this as well, and it is a wonderfull guide.

Pedro

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:30 AM

Hi Selmin,

In a management review I would also include financial performance, environmental impact of your operations, energy consumption/reduction.
In my opinion a management review should not leave out any subjects.
Under 9, if the HACCP team comes up with a lot of ‘negative’ analysis then this can be used to review parts of your HACCP system, is it bringing you what you want, do some departments better than other.
Under 10, if you have many changing circumstances, you can even count them, it could be an indication that something is out of control, can be done on product, department, machine group level.

Remember to share good fortune with your friends, Okido

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

Regards,

A very comprehensive agenda Selmin, well done.

I hope you've put some nice refreshments on, it looks as though it'll be a long meeting. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

Hi Selminay,

I think it looks good but it would be nice to see more considerations given to the review inputs from internal audit, FSMS verification and validation including reconfirmation of the effectiveness and efficiency of the overall HACCP Plan control measures on food safety concerns rather than quality issues which is important but apply a quality supportive towards the overall program instead.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:30 AM

A very comprehensive agenda Selmin, well done.

I hope you've put some nice refreshments on, it looks as though it'll be a long meeting. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Cadbury's McVites Choccie Biccies should speed up the process!! :whistle:

Make sure their dunkable (is that a real word?)

Edited by cazyncymru, 22 January 2007 - 04:54 PM.

selminay

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

Hi Selminay,

I think it looks good but it would be nice to see more considerations given to the review inputs from internal audit, FSMS verification and validation including reconfirmation of the effectiveness and efficiency of the overall HACCP Plan control measures on food safety concerns rather than quality issues which is important but apply a quality supportive towards the overall program instead.

Regards
Charles Chew

Yes, you are right. The previous meetings were including mostly quality issues. In this meeting, I think the main difference will be verification and validation of FSMS.

Regards,
Selmin

charlorne

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hello to All

The ISO 22000 food safety management system is a management system that integrated the food safety requirements of HACCP and the quality management requirements of ISO 9001.

Because of that fact, the management review meeting is a Review of the management system, and there is no need to complicate the process by differentiating between 'quality' and 'food safety' issues.

Just do it !!

Cheers

Lorne

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

The ISO 22000 food safety management system is a management system that integrated the food safety requirements of HACCP and the quality management requirements of ISO 9001.

I personally don't think that is strictly true, ISO22K is solely concerned with food safety systems and has no sections relating to Quality, granted it is structured in a similar way to ISO 9000 and sits alongside it nicely but to label it as a synthesis of 9001 and HACCP undermines IMO the aim of the standard to bring a commonality of approach to Food safety management.

Because of that fact, the management review meeting is a Review of the management system, and there is no need to complicate the process by differentiating between 'quality' and 'food safety' issues.

There will be no Quality issues to review during a ISO22K review so presumably there will be no need to differentiate.

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

charlorne

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

Hello

As a ISO 22000 user, the following clarification is respectfully submitted:

The ISO 22000:2005 standard is made up of 5 main clauses.

The requirements of Clauses 4, 5 and 6 are essentially carry over from the ISO 9001 QUALITY Management system,

Clause 7 is specific to FOOD SAFETY and includes essentially the long established GMP and HACCP requirements, and

Clause 8 is a combination of Quality and Food Safety requirements.

To state that ISO22K is solely concerned with food safety systems and has no sections relating to Quality is not entirely corrrect.
In fact, the aim of ISO committee that developed ISO22k covering food safety was to harmonize the many existing requirements into a comprehensive management system for any organization in the food chain.

And, thank goodness, on Sept 2005 this was accomplished with the publication of ISO 22000:2005.

Cheers

Lorne

charlorne

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

Since the topic of this discussion is "Management Review", I want to point out that management review is a ISO 22k requirement that is specified in the "Quality" Clause 5 of the standard.

Lorne

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

Dear All,

I know it's slightly off topic but does ISO22k actually define the difference between Food Safety and Food Quality ?

Regarding the Mnagement Review, there is an auditorial website (I forget which one) which lists typical answers which the MD should be instructed not to give when interviewed by the auditor. This includes references to refreshments although there might be an exception for a biscuit manufacturer perhaps :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

As a ISO 22000 user, the following clarification is respectfully submitted:

The ISO 22000:2005 standard is made up of 5 main clauses.

The requirements of Clauses 4, 5 and 6 are essentially carry over from the ISO 9001 QUALITY Management system,

Lorne, thanks for the above clarification, however it has reinforced my understanding that ISO22k is totally focused on Food safety. I agree that clauses 4,5 and 6 are structured identically to the corresponding clauses of 9001 ( Annex A of 22k:2005 illustrates this) but it is clear that the subject of these clauses is Food Safety irrespective of their resemblance to the 9001 standard.

Clause 7 is specific to FOOD SAFETY and includes essentially the long established GMP and HACCP requirements

Thic clause is indeed where the real food safety requirements come into play ( HACCP, PRP's etc), however irrespective of the resemblance to 9001, the entire standard is specific to food safety, as illustrated the use of the phrase 'food safety' in the first sentence of almost every clause.

I think this section is no different to 4,5 and 6 in so far as it is taken from 9001 but re-focused on food safety

To state that ISO22K is solely concerned with food safety systems and has no sections relating to Quality is not entirely corrrect.
In fact, the aim of ISO committee that developed ISO22k covering food safety was to harmonize the many existing requirements into a comprehensive management system for any organization in the food chain.

I stand by my initial assertion that there are no sections relating to Quality, the only mention I can find of Quality in the entire standard is Annex A which compares 22k to 9001. It is undeniable that the 2 standards are constructed to the same template but with 2 different aims. Are you suggesting that a company certified to 22k does not need 9001 in order to demonstrate an effective Quality Management system ?

charlorne

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

Are you suggesting that a company certified to 22k does not need 9001 in order to demonstrate an effective Quality Management system ?

Yes indeed .. that is the case .. ISO 22000 is a comprehensive Food Safety Management System.

Cheers

Lorne

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

Yes indeed .. that is the case .. ISO 22000 is a comprehensive Food Safety Management System.

It is certainly a wide reaching Food Safety management system although IMO too generic to be totally comprehensive, I am still totally missing the Quality angle of it however. The guidance document IS0 22004:2005 states that 22K was designed to work in harmony with ISO 9001 and highlights its purpose as a QMS whereas 22K provides essential elements of an FSMS. I see no suggestion in either the Annexes of ISO 22k or 22004:2005 that implementing 22K will provide a satisfactory QMS.

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

I know it's slightly off topic but does ISO22k actually define the difference between Food Safety and Food Quality ?

Charles.

The ISO 22K standard does not mention Food Quality let alone define it in any of the main sections, the standard states clearly it is concerned with FSMS. The only mention of Quality is in the Appendix which lists the clauses of ISO 9001 in which the word Quality has been replaced by the phrase Food Safety.

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

hello all,

I'm a little late in joining this thread (as I've been writing an ISO22000 Lead Auditor training course - Any Takers?)

the important difference between ISO22000 and ISO9001:2000 is the application of the management principle: "Customer Focus"

For a Food manuafacturer the customer focus under ISO22000 is to ensure that the Product (food I hope) meets the customers requirements (quality and safety are surely closely linked in relation to a food product)

Customer Focus under ISO9001:2000 requires more than this, ISO9001:2000 is about the business as a whole.

Where is ISO22000 is there a requirement for the company to deliver the product on the requested day, to the requested warehouse and for the despatch office to call ahead to the company to confirm they have sent the products? - all of these may be in a contract but as these requirements are not "needed to conduct the hazards analysis" then the company could quite rightly discard these when implementing ISO22000.

So poor old Mr. C Ustomer gets safe food products 3 weeks after he expected them, delivered to the wrong warehouse but the company is still fully in compliance with ISO22000.

Regarding the Management review items:

As Simon has already given answers for these I'll add bit to them:

New Products the company is making

Pass.

This is an overall review of the monitoring that the organisation carries out. This data is required to be recorded (Clause 8.4.3) and presented to the Management Review. In Practice: a few charts showing that all the cold stores over a 3 month period were never outside the critical limits, 2 employees have had time off due to sickness, there have been no reported pests, the glass inventory is accurate with 1 breakage in the last 6 months which was correctly controlled, the swab tests confirmed that the cleaning chemicals are still effective but chemical ABC is less effective than CDE and XYZ.

I hope this helps?

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

Dear Charlone,

I am afraid if your CB had already granted your Company certification to ISO 22K on the basis of what you have written in this forum, then I seriously have to ask you to write to the AB that your CB is registered to for explanation and confirmation. But if you are a Consultant or along this path, then there is a serious flaw in your interpretation.

However, auditing ISO 22K with ISO 9001 having been integrated in it require the auditor to review both food safety and quality issues. Therefore, your scenario can still occur but only if both the systems are integrated

Dear Martlyn,

You have the correct interpretation of ISO 22000 being strictly a Food Safety Management System. It still amazes me that people continues to interpret it as an extension of ISO 9001 but perhaps, we should all now be aware of the "engineering friend" type of food auditors that one of the forum members used to talk about.

Well, to cut it right.......ISO 22000 applies to food or in food related industries but NOT for Non-Food Industries while ISO 9001 can apply to Food and Non-Food industries.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:54 PM

I'm a little late in joining this thread (as I've been writing an ISO22000 Lead Auditor training course - Any Takers?)

Not me James, I wrote one last week. :smarty:

the important difference between ISO22000 and ISO9001:2000 is the application of the management principle: "Customer Focus"

For a Food manuafacturer the customer focus under ISO22000 is to ensure that the Product (food I hope) meets the customers requirements (quality and safety are surely closely linked in relation to a food product)

Customer Focus under ISO9001:2000 requires more than this, ISO9001:2000 is about the business as a whole.

Where is ISO22000 is there a requirement for the company to deliver the product on the requested day, to the requested warehouse and for the despatch office to call ahead to the company to confirm they have sent the products? - all of these may be in a contract but as these requirements are not "needed to conduct the hazards analysis" then the company could quite rightly discard these when implementing ISO22000.

So poor old Mr. C Ustomer gets safe food products 3 weeks after he expected them, delivered to the wrong warehouse but the company is still fully in compliance with ISO22000.

So no (or should I say very little) quality in 22k then.

Regarding the Management review items:
As Simon has already given answers for these I'll add bit to them:

New Products the company is making

Pass.

This is an overall review of the monitoring that the organisation carries out. This data is required to be recorded (Clause 8.4.3) and presented to the Management Review. In Practice: a few charts showing that all the cold stores over a 3 month period were never outside the critical limits, 2 employees have had time off due to sickness, there have been no reported pests, the glass inventory is accurate with 1 breakage in the last 6 months which was correctly controlled, the swab tests confirmed that the cleaning chemicals are still effective but chemical ABC is less effective than CDE and XYZ.

I hope this helps?

Thanks for providing some practical examples James, very useful I'm sure. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

charlorne

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:57 PM

Dear Charles

The ISO 22000:2005 interpretation is quite easy ..

As published, the tittle reads:

Food safety management systems—Requirements for any organization in the food chain.

As mentioned earlier, the ISO 22000:2005 standard is made up of 5 main clauses.

Clause 7 is specific to FOOD SAFETY and includes essentially the long established GMP and HACCP requirements, and

Since the topic of this discussion is "Management Review", I want to point out that management review is a ISO 22k requirement that is specified in Clause 5 of the standard.

Cheers

Lorne

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:30 PM

Im no expert but i asked this question in today .

22k is nothing to do with quality, it's only concern is Food Safety.

If you want quality too, you run both 22k and 9001 together.

Some of the documentation needed is common to both and this is why people make the mistake of thinking that 22K is superceding 9001. If you want a accreditation for Food Saferty & Quality then you need accreditation to both.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users