Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

Angelica, could you tell us your decision on usuage of orange baits. As Eugene mentioned earlier, we are also using covered glue boards to trap rodents as 1st line of defence and salt/poision mixture outside of factory as 2nd line of defence.

Is there anything better defence system against rodents than this? Also, if you know anything better treatement for flies then kindly tell me as I am struggling hard to control the fly counts in my factory.

Thanks,

Piyush Mishra

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

Dear All,

The magnitude of this type of problem will surely always depend on the specific process / environment.

I appreciate that whole or half oranges etc are very cheap and therefore attractive options but I am rather surprised that no-one has discussed the importance of keeping rats out of the facility in the first place by structure design. I am no expert here but I believe the standard first line of defence is to use outer sunk-into-the earth screens around the factory followed by another inner perimeter. Obviously this costs money but …...
In adition it is also relevant depending on yr process to absolutely minimise the ability of the (hopefully) few rats which may have penetrated the first line of defence to enter into production areas. IMEX this often occurs as a result of operational negligence / design failures – doors / windows left open at night, insufficiently protected waste lines providing excellent highways, broken panelling left unrepaired. Add the existence of waste material residues not routinely removed thereby becoming an established driving force for the local rat community .
I accept that auditors expect to see nice maps of multiple trap positions and some kind of approved baiting systems however I don’t think the earlier objection that lack of data showing positive kills is necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes negative release can be equally valid IMO. If the auditor finds this hard to believe, yr system has to be able to validate it.
At the other extreme I have audited one factory producing flour/bread where every 3 months the whole facility is closed off and fumigated with gas. Drastic but also seemed highly effective.

@ piyush mishra -regarding flies , did you see these threads –

http://www.ifsqn.com...amp;#entry21009

http://www.ifsqn.com...wtopic=9568&hl=

BTW, Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Piyush0680

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Charles.....

angelica

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Argentina
    Argentina

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Dear all,

I apologise for not answering on time when you asked me what we did.

Well, first of all we changed pest contractors. Inside de facilities there are glued pads protected by a hard tunnel shaped structure, and trap cages. Outside there are cylinders with baits hanging inside, and around the perimeter the same cylinders.

Besides this, we took away all kind of debris that provided habitat around the premises, and sealed all the entries (e.g. the holes were pipes enters the facilities and other structure failures that permitted the rats to enter)

I’m very grateful for your helpful answers.

angelica

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Argentina
    Argentina

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:23 PM

Angelica, could you tell us your decision on usuage of orange baits. As Eugene mentioned earlier, we are also using covered glue boards to trap rodents as 1st line of defence and salt/poision mixture outside of factory as 2nd line of defence.

Is there anything better defence system against rodents than this? Also, if you know anything better treatement for flies then kindly tell me as I am struggling hard to control the fly counts in my factory.

Thanks,

Piyush Mishra

well Piyush,

from time to time we use the oranges inside the trap cages, and they are OK since they don’t contaminate our product as they are “trapped” and they aren’t poisoned.

As per flies, we use light traps and strip curtains. Actually, flies aren’t a big deal for us.

Sorry I can’t be helpful.

best wishes
Angélica

Ayayay

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hi All,
regarding flies the best way are light traps, special traps for food industry. The light attracts the insect and as it comes to the lamp it is sticked, becouse on the bottom of the trao has glue. The lamps has to be put near the doors (preferably above) not near the general light . The traps have to be cleaned(change the sheet with glue) periodically -monthly.This traps help you count the flies also.
Regards

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hi All,
regarding flies the best way are light traps, special traps for food industry. The light attracts the insect and as it comes to the lamp it is sticked, becouse on the bottom of the trao has glue. The lamps has to be put near the doors (preferably above) not near the general light . The traps have to be cleaned(change the sheet with glue) periodically -monthly.This traps help you count the flies also.
Regards

You are absolutely right in terms of the light traps.. we used to have the zappers and it was a concern to the auditors as it would 'zap' the insect into small pieces and their carcasses would fall everywhere, so we changed that into the glued mantis types. But make sure the taps on top of your shipping doors are perpendicular to the door so the light does not attract insects from outside. Then inside the general warehouse we used pheromone traps to control insects.

A vu in time , saves nine

Piyush0680

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

Hi all,

We are still using the zappers in our high care areas and now I am concerned about its use. We performed few trials with glue type fly traps but we are finding the difficulty of counting the flies on glue board. Firstly, the glue boards are black in colour and makes the counting difficult and secondly the flies are not distributed uniformly on the glue sheet.

Do you have white colour glue board available in the market? We purchased our new glue type fly traps from Johnson Diversey and they are unable to find the required glue board(white) for us. Also if possible let me know the method of counting the flies?

Cheers,

Piyush

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

From my experience they are manually sorted into species and counted. Not a very nice job.

I suppose if you just wanted a total count to see if the trend is up or down you could weigh them. Although in reality it may be more complicated if different size and weight of flies come during different seasons. I think I've opened up a can of worms, or maybe a jar of flies. :smile:

What methods do other members use for trend analysis of flies?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Ayayay

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Hi All,
There are two types of lamp .The general type you see http://www.oferti.bg...51/947b8ec2.jpg - it is not for production areas, but for warehouses, the flies are gathered from the bottom of the lamp and counted. The other way is a different kind-at the bottom of the lamp are put special sticky sheets (attached). You will count the flies just by counting the number in one square and multiple the count of the squares. You can wait to fill the whole sheet, or you can periodically mark the filled squares and count only them.
Flies monitoring is very important - a good biologist can make a report for your hygiene just from the fly monitoring.
Regards

Attached Files

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:09 AM

In my company, the pest controler.. they using what is called Luminos 03.. the equipment to control and monitoring flying insect including fly... Operational of the equipment are it have UV lamp as attractor and glue trap with rolling automatically every two and half days the glue trap roll CA 30 cm...

and we inspect the equipment twice per mont.. and with the data we can count how many insect and we can convert to grafict - pest trend.. and we can decide what the next treatment we use..

thats my experinces.. hope can help you

Piyush0680

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

Thanks all,

The post and information helped me a lot. We have found a supplier who has the white colour glue boards and we would be sourcing the same for our insectocutors. I am planning to install the glue board type fly traps in all our high care areas in the plant.

AS NUR - could you please forward me some spec sheet or info on roller type of glue board if it's available with you. It sounds probably it will serve the exact purpose of ours. If possible with the cost.

Thanks & Regards,

Piyush

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:36 AM

dear piyush..

you can ask the equipment to RENTOKIL (that i use as pest controller (third party) in my company)..

Rgds

AS NUR

MMS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

Hi, can I ask is there any limit of number of insects caught using insect light trap in HACCP? I want to do pest control trend analysis to record down the insect caught using the insect light trap. Thank You.

mellonz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Turkey
    Turkey

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

always make sure that you never touch the bait with your naked hands! once rats smell the odor from your hands, they won't come any closer to the trap.

Sparafucile

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

If the problem is that rats don’t take dry baits, you can try with liquid baits like "rartonex liquido" or similar

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users