Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:00 PM

The British Retail Consortium (BRC) is publishing a new version of the globally recognised BRC Food Standard on 31 December 2004. This will come into force on 1 June 2005.

Read Full Story

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 12 November 2004 - 01:33 PM

Just had our BRC audit - only 7 minor non-conformities have been raised, I have already closed three of them out!!

The auditor this year was so much better than last year. Last year we had the dreaded Trainee auditor with the proper auditor. We had 4 pages of non-conformities, and to be completely honest, that much hasn't changed in the past 12 months!!

This auditor came with the attitude that, OK some areas of our site need refurbishment, It is an old site, but the process is completely enclosed so there is absolutely no risk to the product, last year it was raised as a non-conformity, the funny thing is is that if we pulled the actual building down, and carried out the process in the open air, we would not have got any non-conformity raised.

So for another twelve months we have retained our BRC - Higher certification thanks to an auditor with some common sense!! :thumbup:

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:44 AM

Well done Nadine! :clap:

Your experience highlights the inconsistency between auditors even when we work to a standard, with clear audit guidelines, carried out by trained and competent auditors. At the end of the day it's still very much down to perception and attitude.

Give yourself a big pat on the back you deserve it. I'd give you one but I can't find an emoticon. :D

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

infoiqc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:40 PM

Does anyone have more detailed info about the changes in the new standard?
I spoke to TSO and they said it wouldn't be available till sometime in Jan.

Regards,
Gail
IQC - Israel

Koko LMQ

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:49 PM

I think you can firstly see the changed summary in the BRC web page at http://www.brc.org.uk. I herewith the quotation;

The benchmark for food safety management, the Food Standard has been extensively revised for 2005. Created to establish a standard for the supply of food products, this publication has now become the international mark of excellence. Certification to the Standard verifies technical performance and aids manufacturers fulfilment of legal obligations and protection of the consumer.

Changes in legislation are included in the new 2005 edition, affecting:
- Traceability of food components through the supply chain
- ensuring that food components remain uncontaminated by other elements - important when allergens labelling becomes a statutory requirement next year
- food product suppliers being able to advertise that farmed goods in their products come from a particular source
- ensuring that guidelines governing various processes in the manufacture of food products are sufficiently robust
- pointers on what suppliers can say in their communications

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:43 AM

Having just had a BRC audit we touched on the new standard with the auditor. Although this standard appears not to be finalised the key changes appear to be that there will be knock out clauses (KOs), sites will be given a grade / score and the audit frequency can change (6 and 12 months).

Sounds like they are going more down the IFS route.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:39 PM

Sounds like they are going more down the IFS route.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does having two audits (for the same thing) make your blood boil Yorky? You would think some smart cert body would offer combined audits??? Now there's a thought.

Regards,
Simon

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:57 AM

Simon

Our audit company can have a combined audit but the audit frequency can be different. For IFS once you have 2 inspections at Higher level then the frequency goes down from 12 month to 18 months, while the BRC audit remains at 12 months.

2 audits a year is not too bad and as we do not manufacture supermarket brands we do not have their visits to contend with.

Regards

Yorkshire

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:14 PM

For IFS once you have 2 inspections at Higher level then the frequency goes down from 12 month to 18 months, while the BRC audit remains at 12 months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strange they didn't take the opportunity to iron out the anomaly with the latest revision of the BRC Standard. I wonder was it money or safety?

Regards,
Simon

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:55 AM

I think the BRC are looking at safety.

They are looking at having 2 different audit frequencies, i.e. 6 and 12 months, which I believe is more like the packaging standard.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:10 AM

They are looking at having 2 different audit frequencies, i.e. 6 and 12 months, which I believe is more like the packaging standard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it's the same.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:06 AM

I think the BRC are looking at safety.

I believe the reason is similar to that of a HACCP audit - it has got to be for safety reason. The longer the time period prior to the next audit, the opportunity for food safety abuse becomes more "attractive"

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

garyandrews

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:50 PM

I believe the reason is similar to that of a HACCP audit - it has got to be for safety reason. The longer the time period prior to the next audit, the opportunity for food safety abuse becomes more "attractive"

Charles Chew

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have complete breakdown of all changes from the previous to the new 2005 BRC standard if anyones interested ?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

I have complete breakdown of all changes from the previous to the new 2005 BRC standard if anyones interested ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be really useful Gary thank you. :thumbup:

Regards,
Simon

ding

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:14 AM

the new BRC Food is competing with IFS v4. The BRC tried to be tough but the CBs are different. The only reason is there are too many CBs can do BRC food audit. They are competing each other by cost, result and etc.

In this way, there is no way to compete with any other standards altough I agree that the technical protocol of BRC food v4 is much better than that of IFS v4 in wording (English).

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:35 PM

The new BRC Food is competing with IFS v4.  The BRC tried to be tough but the CBs are different.  The only reason is there are too many CBs can do BRC food audit.  They are competing each other by cost, result and etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what are you saying Ding - the Standard is not being applied consistently? If so the issue must be raised if we are not to head down the same path as the tarnished ISO 9000.

Regards,
Simon

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:56 PM

So what are you saying Ding - the Standard is not being applied consistently?

Not only the BRC, the IFS is not being enforced consitently. See thread on metal detection.

***EDIT ADDED LINK TO METAL DETECTION THREAD***
Are stop belt rejection systems allowed in Germany, IFS version 4 - Clause 5.5.3

Edited by Simon Timperley, 12 July 2005 - 08:53 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users