• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

:helpplease: Hi
we produce cooked meats and i would like someone to give me examples of HACCP validation & verification?
what would end micro testing come under & what about probe calibration etc etc, i always find i get confused!!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:18 PM

BUMP: Can anyone help Sue with this.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

moo73steve

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:48 AM

Hi Sue,

The way I describe things are:

Validation - Is what we are doing going to achieve what we want. (Normally a scientific study etc, i.e will cooking to 75 degrees C kill the pathogens of interest)

Verification - Are we achieving what we say we are doing. (Day to day montiring, i.e. are we acheiving a cook of 75 degrees C.)

Micro testing is mostly a verification step (particularly in positive release programs), but may form part of a study to prove a process (i.e. validation). If you are doing it regularly I suggest it is verification.

Calibration would be part of a support program used to ensure measuring devices are accurate for your monitoring. Monitoring would form part of a verification program also.

I hope this helps.

Steve

rubered

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Member
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

Hi

I agree with the answer Steve has given.

There can be a lot of confusion over the terms validation and verification and what they involve.

Validation considers the technical validity of the plan and basically asks 'if the plan were followed would a safe product be produced?'

verification looks at compliance with the HACCP plan in practice and asks 'has the plan been effectively implemented, and are the controls being followed in the everyday operation of the business.

It is possible to verify a technically invalid plan.

Validation activities should be targeted at the scientific and technical inputs in the plan

There are two considerations with validation, will the controls and limits applied result in safe food and can they be consistently achieved each and every time.

These questions can be answered theoretically, by challenging the teams decisions about elements of the HACCP Plan and looking for evidence of justifications for decisions being based on sound science. i.e why has a particular time/temperature combination been chosen. Evidence could come from professional bodies, historical processing data, current scientific literature, trade associations, regulations and legislation.

Alternatively by practically examining the process to test if the process is capable of achieving the necessary controls each and every time.i.e will the process achieve the necessary time/temperature combination each and every time This can be done by:
creating worst-case conditions
deliberately under processing
deliberately over processing
cooks with dataloggers establising cold/hot spots and see effects on finished products
pathogen loading
challenge testing/deliberate contamination
preditcive modelling
micro testing (to verify process is in control)

Other things to establish could be concerned with the equipment being used - is it calibrated/maintained - is it accurate and reliable. Are the necessary personnel trained and competent to carry out tasks. Is any documentation associates with the process/controls accurate, reliable and achievable?

verification checks then confirm that on a day to day basis the plan is being followed.

I hope this helps and would be interested to ready anybody elses comments.

rubered

Thanked by 2 Members:

suemal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

Thanks, for your comments, they are a big help
Cheers :thumbup:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

Dear Suemal,

I think you got some nice answers previously.

One reason that confusion exists between the VE/VA terms is that they tend to be interpreted somewhat differently in the HACCP field, particularly by the US. You can see this if you look at the original proposed schemes and it still can result in some twisted verbal statements in current layouts, eg "verification includes validation". I guess it does not really matter as long as you follow a consistent path.

If you wish to see some examples of validation - interpretation and application, can try this thread - http://www.ifsqn.com...?showtopic=6917

(I seem to remember the pumpkin pie download illustrates the use of microbial data)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:45 AM

:helpplease: Hi
we produce cooked meats and i would like someone to give me examples of HACCP validation & verification?
what would end micro testing come under & what about probe calibration etc etc, i always find i get confused!!

The best explanation of HACCP validation and verification according to me is:
We are validating how? By planning.
We need verification - how? - By checking.

More explanation:

Validation:
  • Pool of data
  • Information coming form experience / folks
  • Our own trials and tests performed in past
  • By the source of Internet like IFSQN.com or News paper or Media / Watching on Television
Verification:
  • Cross checking
  • Confirmation
Now think and apply in your HACCP system!

Cheers,
Abdul Qudoos

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users