Louise

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 07 January 2005 - 09:36 AM

Firstly, Happy New Year to everyone in the Forum! :bye:

Secondly, Clause 2 2.3 "The control of the sysytem implementing the Standard shall rest with a suitably competent person"

Is there a level of Hygiene Training which I have to gain certification for to be classed as competent and to be able to train all other personnel at our site on Food Packaging Hygiene?

I noticed on your online store you have a couple of Training CD's (The Fundementals of Food Packaging Hygiene and Food Packaing Hygiene: Raising The Standard). Would one of these suffice?

Hope you can help.

Louise

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:32 PM

Hello Louise & Happy New Year to you. :thumbup:

Back to business, in the first revision of the Standard the designated manager was required to be ‘suitably qualified' and in revision two it's ‘suitably competent' and there is a difference.

Qualified infers training and qualifications whereas competence can be demonstrated in a number of ways - here's a non-exhaustive list of things that may demonstrate competence to an auditor:

- Number of years in the role
- Position in the company and scope of your role
- Previous positions held
- Did you implement the BRC/IOP system in your organisation
- Did you work with a consultant / expert / mentor to implement the BRC/IOP system
- How well you understand the BRC/IOP Standard, hazard analysis and risk control as demonstrated during the audit
- The state / health of the BRC/IOP system you manage
- Number of previous third party, customer, supplier audits taken part in
- Courses, seminars and training
- Being a member of the SaferPak forums and having experts on tap :beer:

As you can see it can be quite a long list and I'm sure there are many more ways of demonstrating competence. Perhaps omit the last one as it may lose you some brownie points. :doh:

With regard to your own competency, check yourself off against the list and if you feel that you could do with some further training then fine. One company does run a 3 ½ day Hygiene Management course but it is very expensive. If you feel competent (and you can demonstrate it) you do not have to go on a course. Remembering there are requirements for All personnel to undertake hygiene training (see 7.8) and you and your employees need this.

Even if you did the above course this wouldn't necessarily make you a good or competent trainer. It may provide you with more subject knowledge however, carrying out training to a professional standard requires another set of skills in order to engage the delegates and get the important messages across. There are ‘Train the Trainer' courses available, but a lot is down to confidence, presentation style and course content.

The two SaferPak training products you mention have been designed to meet the requirements of 7.8.

1. The Food Packaging Hygiene - Raising the Standard training package is a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation designed to be used in conjunction with the training booklets to train groups of operators. The beauty of the training package is that it comes with detailed lecture notes including questions and important learning points for each slide, and this makes the trainer's task much easier. However, if you are not comfortable carrying out the training yourself we have expert trainers on hand that can do it for you.

2. The Fundamentals of Food Packaging Hygiene is different, as it's a computer based training programme. This allows operators to be taken from the workplace one at a time for training. Basically they sit down at a computer and go through a full hygiene course and get a printed certificate. In many ways this format is easier and causes less inconvenience to production.

Both courses are designed to meet with the requirements of 7.8 and contain the required content. They're also interesting and fun which is a bonus. It all depends on which format you prefer. If you want you can take a test drive of the computer based training programme, just visit the store and click to arrange an online demo:

http://www.saferpak.com/orderform.php

If I can help you further please let me know.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Louise

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Simon

As usual you have put my mind at rest. I may well purchase a CD training disc as they are on offer at the moment.

Cheers

Louise
:thumbup:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:40 PM

No problem Louise. ;)

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users