yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:03 AM

For internal audits the general BRC clause states:

"The Company shall audit those systems and procedures, which are critical to product safety, legality and quality, to ensure thay are in place and appropriately complied with."

On our site we have 2 indepenent audits a year, BRC/IFS, at six monthly intervals. I count these audits as part of our "internal" audit schedule. Areas which we deem to need increased frequency are then scheduled for internal audit.

Am I justified as counting these part of our internal audit schedule, or because they are carried out by 3rd parties are they discounted?

Our BRC auditor seemed to think so.

Your comments please.

Edited by yorkshire, 12 January 2005 - 04:54 PM.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Koko LMQ

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:16 PM

Refer to ISO 9000:2000 QMS-Fundamentals and Vocabulary

Internal audits, sometimes called first-party audits, are conducted by,or on behalf of, the organization itself for internal purposes and can form the basis for an organization's self-declaration of conformity.

NY

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:35 PM

Am I justified as counting these part of our internal audit schedule, or because they are carried out by 3rd parties are they discounted?

Our BRC auditor seemed to think so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its an internal audit...but carried out by a third party. I don't think you can count it. Are the IFS and BRC auditors of the same opinion?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:14 AM

Our IFS audit is due again in June. I will ask the auditor then.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:41 PM

Internal audits, sometimes called first-party audits, are conducted by,or on behalf of, the organization

If these are independent audits carried out on your behalf or instruction and the reports are given to the team or management, then, I would consider them as part of your internal audits whether scheduled or unscheduled.

However, if these audits are part of your wider yearly "supplier's assurance program" carried out by your buyers - then, they cannot be part of your internal; audit BUT it does provide information about your system to support your M. Review.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the info Charles.

The BRC and IFS are not a customer requirement as we do not supply supermarket own labels, however some of our customers do want to see our certification as part of their "due diligence" systems.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users