Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:50 PM

The act of carrying out a hazard analysis or risk assessment of the manufacturing (and other) processes for a HACCP study presents a great opportunity to identify quality / process improvements. By formally analysing the process in minute detail with a cross functional team (as HACCP demands) you never fail to stumble across poor or downright crazy practices and ways of doing things better, faster, and smarter. If you do the HACCP Study with one eye on quality / process improvements I guarantee you will find some and it's a great way of adding value to the process.

I'm sure some of you out there who are involved with HACCP have experienced a 'Eureka' moment or two - so please do share them.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:21 PM

Simon,

It happens almost all the time!

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:35 PM

It happens almost all the time!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that it? Care to go into detail. :dunno:

BTW we've missed you Charles. :bye:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:23 PM

Is that it? 

Needless to say, the primary objectives of any Hazard Analysis would "flush" out a number lot of surprises in any processing systems (if I may boldly add, sometimes to org. that are already certified)

Normally, in the course of moving along towards Manual Completion, we may have
or continue to experience "flushing out" of further weaknesses. These are often inadequacy in the processing controls area (not CCPs but CPs)

Covering the prerequisites is no different either. How many Org. have procedures to deal with "power outages" for example. In my case - Only One!

IMO, flushing out weaknesse or creating opportunity for improvements are dictated by or reflective of how effective evaluations and efforts are given to:
CCP Monitoring Act. vs Current Internal System
Enhanced Process Controls vs Current Practices (if any)
GMP vs Previous Operative Procedures.

In short, doing a damn good GAP ANALYSIS - Helps :helpplease:

Charles CHew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:36 AM

I've no doubt an experienced and forward thinking food safety consultant like you Charles always develops a robust system with all of the weakness flushed out and improvements made. (At a reasonable price too!). :cheezy:

However I ‘m not sure that process, productivity and quality improvements are a primary objective or part of the terms of reference in most HACCP studies. I suppose a lot is down to the background, experience and competence of the HACCP team. I think a good mix is essential maybe we should add a six sigma blackbelt or lean practitioner to the team. Also the Companies reason for implementing HACCP plays a part i.e. is it for certification purposes? To appease customers? Or do they really want to manage risk and improve the business.

Regards,
Simon

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

Simon,

In previous companies I believe that HACCP has been usually been used to "tick the right boxes" for EHOs, auditors, etc.. If you are supplying retailer brand products then it is mainly the supermarket that gets the negative publicity (you may loose your business).

Now , without the pressure of own label supply, I can really concentrate on the Food Safety side of HACCP and the whole company is behind it to protect our brand image.

For our HACCP team we have a good mix of people (operators, fitters, quality staff, etc.) with only one manager on the team (me). The staff are really enthusiastic about the process (takes them aware from the day to day grind) and the process does not seem involve any of the politics which can happen if lots of managers are involved.

So far there have been no real Eurka moments.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:56 PM

So far there have been no real Eureka moments.

Maybe not yet but do not underestimate the value of investing in the personal development of you lower level staff. I'm sure that you will reap the rewards in the longer term and you will have plenty of 'Eureka' moments.

Well done!

Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users