Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:27 AM

I was asked to look into the BRC system to find out what it says about clothing.
And specially for the case of low risk places, like here in the brewery the warehouse is one.
In the big warehouse you can find filled and packeged cans, kegs, bottles. In the smaller one you can find empty cans ready to be filled.

For the rest of the plant we have a rule that persons who enter the place have to wear appropiate clothing at least till the knees.

Now the question is how about the warehouse? I could not find anything specific about this, so can anyone help me or give me some advice what to do best?

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:33 AM

If the employees working in the storage rooms cross or enter the production areas, they should apply the same clothing policies.

If the employees only access the storage rooms this is not needed. Risk analyse should be clearify the need of protective clothing in these rooms.
In practice the companies issue protective clothing for the workers. In storage rooms these are mostly dark coloured trousers and coats. Storage rooms, expedtion areas and receipt departments can be cold because doors are opened more often. So warm clothing is preferable.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

In low risk intake areas where there isn't a barrier between that area and open food areas, I have mob caps (close woven hair nets), beard snoods for beards or moustaches and white (or another colour) coats over any body warmer etc. Where you have open cans ready to be filled (or any other uncovered primary packaging), it's still a foreign body risk as well so your hair and clothes should be covered. In despatch areas, I would have the same. You can argue it's not necessary but I've always taken the view that having protective clothing in all areas is a good idea because it helps the employees to remember they are making food.

Bert

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

You can argue it's not necessary but I've always taken the view that having protective clothing in all areas is a good idea because it helps the employees to remember they are making food.

I agree definitly with that. But the beer industrie is a bit different from other food industries, in the way that the awareness of producing food isn't very old and still growing. For example, hair nets are not obligatorily, because the proces is a full closed proces (exception is made when a filler is opened, mostly in case of a problem).

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Oh I see. Well I'd work on the hair nets first because pipes will need opening and presumably there are areas where ingredients are added and filling occurs? I suppose with the PPE for you, it's one step at a time but I do think it creates the 'right' impression.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users