• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid I am relatively clueless about the BRC so I apologise if any of this is daft. I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what I need so I don't seem so much of a wally when I go to an expert!

I have put together a kit to make curry from a number of seperate components and the next phase of the development is to sort out BRC accreditation. Will I need to make sure that each of the supplying factories has the BRC certificate and do I need to make sure that the factory which puts all the components in the box has the BRC too? Would I also need to make sure that all companies involved in the transport of components and finished products around the world were certified?

Everything is made out in the far East and is completely stable in ambient conditions. All of the components of the kit are sealed by the supplying factories.

If anyone could give me a brief overview of what I need to do I would be very grateful!

Thanks

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,795 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:20 PM

I've done something fairly similar in the past where we have made meals out of components made by ourselves and components made by others.

I don't have a copy of the standard on me right now but this is what we did:

All suppliers were sent a questionnaire asking about their food safety systems, what testing they do and what audits they had. Any external audits were requested (including non conformance detail). Based on that and the risk (e.g. chilled or spices are higher risk), we might then audit them ourselves.

I think from what you have said, you're quite a small operation so you would find it difficult to audit yourself. I think external auditing is probably the only thing you can do, however, be careful with spice ingredients that they are testing for Sudan dyes. You don't want the same issue in the US as we had in the UK.

I always think the BRC standard is reasonable. They want to see you have thought about risks from your suppliers and done everything you can to control them, not just gone for the cheapest if you're not sure about their standards!

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:44 AM

I have put together a kit to make curry from a number of seperate components and the next phase of the development is to sort out BRC accreditation. Will I need to make sure that each of the supplying factories has the BRC certificate and do I need to make sure that the factory which puts all the components in the box has the BRC too? Would I also need to make sure that all companies involved in the transport of components and finished products around the world were certified?

Everything is made out in the far East and is completely stable in ambient conditions. All of the components of the kit are sealed by the supplying factories.

Dear Joewhite,

If youre company itself is not involved in the producing and/or the assambling of these kits, but these processes are outsourced by your company, and you are more like a trading company, you will not be able to achieve the BRC certificate.

The BRC is ment for manufacturers and processors.

quote from the BRC: "The BRC sets out the requirements for the manufacture of processed foods and the preparation of primary products supplied as retailer branded products, branded food products and food ingredientds for use by food service companies, catering companies and food manufacturers. Certification will apply to products that have been manufactured or prepared at the site where the audit has taken place"

If you are supplying retailers, you have to make sure the assambling company is BRC-certified. However, in my experience it is very hard to convince the retailers about food safety and other due dilligence things, if you have not a BRC-certificate yourself. Maybe your company can do the ISO 22000 and your supplier requirements are at least BRC.

I do not know if there are maybe food safety standards in the US that are more appicalbe to you.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users