Lisa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:44 PM

Hello all,

I have been tasked with launching SMED in our factory. I would be interested to hear some ideas on the best way to start from some SMED veterans!
Some questions ...
*optimum no. of people to be on smed team (I have 8 people in mind at moment)
*What incentives I could use? We don't offer productivity bonuses
*Am thinking of getting the team together and 'locking them in a room' for a week to really 'go at it' intensively and see what we could come up with ..anyone tried that?
*What about silly (visible) things like branded Pens, notebooks, caps (I don't know!) for the SMED team ... make them feel part of a team/important etc...
*Anyone know any good simulation exercises/games to illustrate the SMED principles
* Oh and last but not least, this has been tried in the factory at least twice before and it obviously didn't stick ... how do I convince people that this will be different??

I am open to all suggestions!

Ps I will be doing this without going on a formal SMED training myself so pretty much 'winging it' !! Ah sure it's all common sense .... right?!

Jim Wade

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:All aspects of continual improvement

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:42 AM

...this has been tried in the factory at least twice before and it obviously didn't stick ... how do I convince people that this will be different??

Lisa - what is your job title/position?

Unless the people who need convincing work for you, perhaps it's not your job to do the convincing?

Maybe your job is to convince the people who need to do the convincing (top management) that they need to behave differently?

"If we always do what we've always done, we'll always get what we've always got"

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:46 PM

Hello Lisa,

You sound very enthusiastic, which is very important; however, enthusiasm alone is not enough I'm afraid. I advise you forget the funny hats and branded biros for now and take a few moments to consider what you are trying to achieve and why previous initiatives such as SMED have failed in the past. For example is Jim right about Senior Management commitment? The last thing you want right now is another failure; when an initiative fails it becomes much harder to implement the next time. And this is your third and possibly your final shot.

SMED (quick changeover / quick setup) is definitely a great discipline and an important tool in the lean journey, but it's not where I would start. Before SMED, teamwork, problem solving tools, value stream mapping etc. I'd give the factory a real good clean.

The best approach for this is 5S's. There is a good article here:

The Five S's Uncovered

Please don't let the Japanese terminology bamboozle you; it's quite a straightforward five step approach.

1. Separate out all the things that are not necessary and throw them away. I know it's difficult sometimes (hoarding is a natural human instinct), but it has no place in the workplace. If something may be needed later, tidy it away for now.

2. Next Straighten things up; arrange the essential things in order so that they can be quickly and easily accessed and put away. You've heard the saying 'a place for everything and everything in its place', well in this case it means racks for dies and tools, shadow boards for tools, cabinets, shelves, painting lines on floors etc. If you want you can even number things like bins and number the floor - this makes it clear where the bin goes and importantly when it isn't there.

3. Next get out the mops and dusters and clean the machines and working environment, clean everything, the windows, walls, lighting and floors. Paint if you need to. Maybe buy the operators a new standard uniform.

4. Make cleaning and checking a routine practice; maintain a pleasant environment. Create cleaning schedules for all machinery, equipment and the working environment; provide the tools. Where possible make the guidelines and standards visual, a photo showing how the work area should look is good, use laminated signs, colour coding, numbering etc. Beats a procedures manual any day.

5. Standardise the previous four steps and constantly improve them. Make sure that standards don't slip and the new disciplines are maintained. Carry out regular audits to ensure that everything is as it should be and cleaning is carried out as scheduled. Where possible get the operators involved in checking. Regular auditing will highlight deficiencies and improvements. Make sure new operators are educated in what is expected. Remember that 5S's isn't a ‘one off' exercise it's the culture.

In all this management and supervisors must lead by example, it must be what senior management want and they must provide the resources and allocate the time.

It's commonsense isn't it? Follow the above and I guarantee there will be less mistakes and set times will be reduced without even focusing on them. It shows operators you mean business and creates the mindset and environment for you to implement further lean tools such as SMED.

OK first off go and see the MD / CEO and see if he/she agrees.

Welcome to the forums Lisa. :bye:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Wallace Tait

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Systems thinking, Soccer (Glasgow Rangers), Family, the pusuit of truth and freedom

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:28 PM

Excellent advice Simon.
Wallace. :thumbup:

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:21 AM

Good morning Lisa,

Planning for SMED programs starts with commitment from the top management otherwise you are bound for failure.
Management must show commitment not only on paper and in speech but should actively participate in the first workgroup.
Regarding the size of the workgroup I would not go over 6 people including yourself.
The more people the more difficult it becomes to manage them especially when the subject is not appealing to them.
The first subject should be one that is easy to accomplish, the quicker you can establish a result that is successful the better the next one's will go.
Quantify the results you want to establish and publicise them widely. Make it a topic in a monthly production report.
An other important point is write out all steps and decisions you took along the line and use this document to evaluate to proces before you take off with an new subject.

Have a go, Okido

Lisa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:46 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to give me your advice.
My title is Business Improvement Agent. I agree that it is the Senior Management who should 'own' this project and I should merely be a facilitator ... this is something I am working on!
As for the 5S's Simon ... thank you for all the detail you gave me . Coincidentally Work Place Organisation is one of the projects that we really count as a success here (although it is a continuing challenge of course). We have monthly audits in all areas and the photos I have seen of the factory before it was initiated (it was before my time) compared to now show huge improvement.
I have settled on a team of 4, possibly 5 and have lined up other people who have an impact on the process to join with us at appropriate times. My next step is to come up with specific, measurable goals and then come up with a timeline and action plan.
I will keep you updated on my progress, and no doubt may have a few more questions.

ps so you think I should cancel my order for 500 SMED t-shirts!! Only joking! :lol2:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for some good advice Okido.

If you stick around Lisa you will see I'm always 'trying to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs'. It sounds like you already have a very good environment for getting started with SMED. Seeing as you're teaching yourself I've googled you a few SMED case studies and links to information that may help with your research. If I come across any more I'll post them for you.

SMED Factsheet

Comprehensive case study: Setup time reduction for Electronics Assembly

Short SMED case studies from various industries

Finally two general Lean manufacturing case studies:

Lean manufacturing case study - Denford

Lean manufacturing case study - Calrec

If you are able to please tell us a bit about your organisation e.g. industry sector, products manufactured, number of employees etc. Also I would be interested to know why your company didn't succeed with SMED previously.

Anyway please keep us updated with your progress and feel free to ask questions.

By the way if you go down the T-shirt and baseball cap route I'm extra large for both. :doh:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

leanEng

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:09 PM

Lisa Hi, if you are still trying to get your SMED project going, I can offer some free help as I have spent the last 15 years in lean manufacturing, I have put together a good powerpoint on how to use SMED and the techniques. I also have a spreadsheet that allows you to breakdown the external time and internal time then it will allow you to measure the cost / time saving.

I would suggest you start with a small team no more than 6 people at least 2 of them need to be the people changing over the machines, it would also be good to have and engneer and or maintenance person.

If you want any the stuff i have mentioned let me know and I will email it to you you may also want to check out the productivty Uk web site as they do some good operator SMED guides which are not bad and are low cost.

The baseball cap and Tee shirt are a good idea also try to get you manager to review a basic presentation at the end of the project (good press helps )

Hope this helps

Regards

Jim

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:56 PM

Hello Jim, welcome to the forums. :bye:

We would be very interested to take a look at your SMED PowerPoint if you can attach it here for our members.

Regards,
Simon

leanEng

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:24 PM

Simon Hi thanks for the warm welcome, please find attached smed presentations and one excel spreadsheet (this has the data calcs and internal / external forms).

I also have more systems on setting up your team and identifying issues and improvements if this is of use i will post it as well

Hope this is of use

Regards

Jim

Attached Files

leanEng

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:29 PM

Simon I have one other smed presentation but I can not seem to attach it, any ideas how I can get it to you.

Regards

Jim

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

Simon I have one other smed presentation but I can not seem to attach it, any ideas how I can get it to you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jim, thanks very much for posting the presentations; I will take a look and may have some questions for you if you don't mind. With regard to the other SMED presentation it may be too large a file to attach; if you send it to me by email I will upload and link to it for you.

Regards,
Simon

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

Result! I have attached another great SMED Presentation from Jim - thanks Jim! Because they deserve a plug I've also attached a flyer for their Lean Engineering degree course at De Montfort University, Leicester UK.

Attached File  Setup_Reduction_with_SMED.pdf   425.66KB   153 downloads
Attached File  Lean_Degree_Leaflet___De_Montfort_University.pdf   190.47KB   106 downloads

Regards,
Simon

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

Video a changeover and be amazed at just how many internal activities can be externalised.

LeanMachine

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

Many thanks for the attachments - I am about to lead a SMED project at my place of work, so some of the material will come in extremely useful.

Regards,

Mark.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users