Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:01 PM

Fortifying material and conveying it to different processes is presenting a challenge with in process magnets catching iron. The fortification itself is affected as you can no longer use your batching formula as calculated nutritionals are off.. removign magnets is not really an option right now without equipement modification plus equipment safety and HACCP plan is affected - option to overload magnet is being considered.. does anyone have any other experience/suggestion to share??

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

Fortifying material and conveying it to different processes is presenting a challenge with in process magnets catching iron. The fortification itself is affected as you can no longer use your batching formula as calculated nutritionals are off.. removign magnets is not really an option right now without equipement modification plus equipment safety and HACCP plan is affected - option to overload magnet is being considered.. does anyone have any other experience/suggestion to share??

Can anyody help our new member with this query?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:25 AM

I haven't got an experience of deliberate fortification with iron but in some processes in places I've worked, they had magnets which were left over from primitive attempts to control metal contamination. We had metal detectors by that point though. We found that they did more harm than good and if there was any iron in the system (very rarely), it would collect on the magnet and then fall off in one lump!

I vaguely remember there is a simple A level food chemistry experiment to calculate iron in food. Looks like it might be in this book:

http://books.google....result#PPA37,M1

I'm not sure how accurate it would be.

Is there really nothing that can be used to replace the magnets in your system? I assume you're talking about magnetic interlocks? Is there a way that they could be moved outside of the production line, so your guard overlaps and interlocks away from the conveyor / shute? I'm sure I've also seen physical interlocks as well as magnetic.

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

So I´m joining this discussion kind of late, but for what it´s worth...
We do iron fortification by law and we have at least one magnet after the fortification process. As far as I know, we haven´t had any problems with this.
What we use for fortification is a vitamin mix that includes iron as iron fumarate, because it is easier for your body to absorb it.
This might sound not so brilliant, but maybe mixing it with another ingredient would help??

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users