Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

Dear all!

We are producing ready to eat products. During R&D activities our taste panel evaluate the taste of under-developing products. Do some body have an idea what parameters should be checked during such taste evaluation and how their status should be recorded. For instance one parameter is "aroma". Its standard rating scale is excellent, good, average, poor. What other parameters should also be considered like wise?

Regards:

Zeeshan

Edited by Zeeshan, 12 April 2010 - 11:22 AM.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:13 AM

IMO.. the sensory test have many method such as Liking (hedonic) test, comparisson test and rank test. as you said, i assume that you use Hedonic test for your products.. so first you have to define what parameter that important for your product, for example aroma, taste and appearance ( color of products).. and as your products my suggestion are :

1. Aroma
2. Appearance
3. Color
4. Taste : creamyness, Sweetness

rgds

AS Nur

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:36 AM

Dear AS NUR,

Thank you for your response.

Do you have some links from where I can learn about the sensory test (Liking test, comparisson test and rank test etc.). I want to know the nature, parameters and grades of each parameters belongs to each type of test. From nature of test I mean that for which type of evaluation or for which type of product a particular test is applicable or suitable.

Regards:
Zeeshan.

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hi Zeeshan,

You can find some info here. On page 7, you can see the classification of test methods, which i believe may help you to decide which method to use.

You can also get somemore basic info and example from this Primer. Coupled with AS NUR's suggestion on the possible parameters for your evaluation, I'm sure you will have no problem coming up with a system.

Posted Image

A single product can have conflicting results, depending on the parameters tested. One example is Olive Oil, which I read about on a blog recently.

In 2006 Cook’s Illustrated published an article rating extra virgin olive oils. Alexandra Kicenik Devarenne, an olive oil expert and instructor at UC Davis, read the article and was surprised by the results. She convened an expert olive oil tasting panel and re-tested the exact same oils. The results were astounding. The oils rated tops by Cook’s Illustrated were rated defective by the trained testers. Oils that fared badly in the Cook’s test were highly rated by the trained panel (Read about it here). What the hell?

Apparently, the trained panelists regarded the clean profile and bitter taste in the oil as good, due to the presence of polyphenols, while the cooks preferred the oils that are not bitter and has abit of fermented, oxidized/rancid taste.

Anyone interested can find the article here.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Hillsie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:28 AM

IMO.. the sensory test have many method such as Liking (hedonic) test, comparisson test and rank test. as you said, i assume that you use Hedonic test for your products.. so first you have to define what parameter that important for your product, for example aroma, taste and appearance ( color of products).. and as your products my suggestion are :

1. Aroma
2. Appearance
3. Color
4. Taste : creamyness, Sweetness

rgds

AS Nur

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

Dear Zeeshan,

May i know the products and under-developing products? Taste and Aroma depends upon the food type and intensity.

Mostly taste/Sensory evaluation for ready to eat products are

• Appearance - big, small -size, broken, no-broken, dull, fresh, brown, golden, white, bright, bubbles, yellowish, thickness, oily, irregular
  • Flavour - salty, sour, sweet, oily, bland, lemony, freshness
  • Texture - crisp, crunchy, loose, hard, soft, oily, chewy, sticky, waxy
Sensation - burning, cooling, or drying.

cooked/fried - more or less

Here are few tests:

Difference/Discrimination tests - it provides statistical confirmation of differences between 2 or more samples when directly compared.

Descriptive tests - describe the quantify specific sensory characteristics of products in detail

Hedonic tests (as said by AS NUR) - provide information about personal preferences and acceptance, they are often used as a screening tool prior to full-scale market research.

Consumer tests - provide information about liking and preferences plus usage and attitude, for a representative sample of the target market.

continues...

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users