Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

Can anyone advise on a procedure for undertaking a "Recall Simulation" as distinct from a Traceability Exercise?

cosmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

Can anyone advise on a procedure for undertaking a "Recall Simulation" as distinct from a Traceability Exercise?

Hi Brenkk,
Interesting.. what is the difference? When I looked at what I do with my systems, the differences that I see are;
A traceability exercise is my internal audit check to ensure ingredient batch/lot codes are being recorded, from receival to dispatching the finished product. This is more of a policeman role for compliance reasons and is part of my haccp plan. The outcome of this is recorded in my internal audit document and corrective actions are issued to the role responsible for non compliance rather than the person. This makes it a system problem that can be addressed by training and job description changes, coaching and the like.
(If you don't issue a non conformance/ corrective action technically your standards auditor can issue a CAR to you for knowing about, but not doing anything about the non conformance)

Recall simulation or mock recall is the compliance audit of "using the traceability process", that is recorded in a report. By starting with a product defect statement on an ingredient that requires a recall, you then copy the production records showing the path of this ingredient, capturing all products containing it, through the process and include the dispatch records identifying customers. At this point I also phone the customer contact in my records and check that the details are still correct, then record the time it took to contact this person. This includes the ingredient supplier too.
Copies of forms are attached to the report (controlled document) and filed as evidence for my next standards compliance audit.

This Recall simulation process is 6 monthly and is recorded in my Quality system as a single page flowchart procedure.

I hope this helps and as a PS, my focus is always on the result not the complexity of the system.. keep it simple..

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:07 AM

Hi Brenkk,
Interesting.. what is the difference? When I looked at what I do with my systems, the differences that I see are;
A traceability exercise is my internal audit check to ensure ingredient batch/lot codes are being recorded, from receival to dispatching the finished product. This is more of a policeman role for compliance reasons and is part of my haccp plan. The outcome of this is recorded in my internal audit document and corrective actions are issued to the role responsible for non compliance rather than the person. This makes it a system problem that can be addressed by training and job description changes, coaching and the like.
(If you don't issue a non conformance/ corrective action technically your standards auditor can issue a CAR to you for knowing about, but not doing anything about the non conformance)

Recall simulation or mock recall is the compliance audit of "using the traceability process", that is recorded in a report. By starting with a product defect statement on an ingredient that requires a recall, you then copy the production records showing the path of this ingredient, capturing all products containing it, through the process and include the dispatch records identifying customers. At this point I also phone the customer contact in my records and check that the details are still correct, then record the time it took to contact this person. This includes the ingredient supplier too.
Copies of forms are attached to the report (controlled document) and filed as evidence for my next standards compliance audit.

This Recall simulation process is 6 monthly and is recorded in my Quality system as a single page flowchart procedure.

I hope this helps and as a PS, my focus is always on the result not the complexity of the system.. keep it simple..

Posted Image Agreed

The traceability should also include packaging if applicable and a mass balance to check that all the defective product has been traced.

Regards

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

Dear All,

As a comment, the mock recall can become substantially complex if exported (and re-distributed) goods are involved.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Brenkk

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Thank you all for taking time to reply,

Much appreciated

CTucci

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:09 AM

I am working with a specific form the company I work for uses. It includes the titles "Monitoring Activity" and "Corrective Actions". We are working on a mock recall procedure. What would the Monitoring activities and corrective actions be for this policy/procedure? I am imagining that they would be different in each case. Any insight here?
Thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

I am working with a specific form the company I work for uses. It includes the titles "Monitoring Activity" and "Corrective Actions". We are working on a mock recall procedure. What would the Monitoring activities and corrective actions be for this policy/procedure? I am imagining that they would be different in each case. Any insight here?
Thanks!

Monitoring - presumably as per the previous posts from Cosmo and Tony-C ?
Corrective actions - defect = ?, Four likely general CAs will be to re-check the veracity of all the relevant production / QA / storage / shipping records ? Possibly folllowed by a change in personnel, politely known as "re-training" :smile:

It is not unusual that mock recalls can demonstrate some amazing blunders / discrepancies in supply chains.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS- there are several other threads on this which you might find useful, eg http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__14097 , http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__28334 , http://www.ifsqn.com...ndpost__p__4576 , http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__35984

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users