Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:44 PM

An article in this month’s edition of Food Safety Magazine reminded me that ISO 22000 was three years old on September 01, 2008.

Evolution of HACCP: A Natural Progression to ISO-22000

Three years has passed very quickly and according to the article in that time 1,152 organizations have achieved certification thus far. See details in the attachment below which is taken from the article.

Attached File  iso22000_certifications.gif   26.2KB   145 downloads

In my estimation 1,152 is a very low return for the much heralded global food safety standard. Doubly surprising is there are only 22 organizations registered to ISO 22000 in North America.

What do other members think of these figures?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,797 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:03 PM

Shocking! I have to admit despite living and breathing food for some years, I only heard about ISO22000 through yourselves. I think that was because I've been in retailer own branded for some time and I just don't think UK supermarkets really hold with ISO when it comes to food. I can only assume it's similar in the US. I mean, who would bother going for ISO22000 in the UK unless a retailer made you or you work for a branded company who has decided it should be a priority? Would you out of choice? I don't think it carries the same weight as the quality ISO standards ironically because they covered several industries and so more people had heard of them.

Perhaps it's really an indication of how unpopular ISO now is with food manufacturers?

vecdika

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Turkey
    Turkey

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

Dear Sir,

Yes, it is low number, Because;
-Certification bodies acreditated were waited
-Certification wasn’t started together with the puplication of Iso 22000:2005
-Auditor and audit shame for Iso 22000 wasn’t clear, it took time
-It is voluntry system based on confirmity to standard rules in the most Countries
-Importing country rules are based on complience the HACCP system obligations of Codex All.Comm. not to Iso 22000 at the Bip’s of Countries (for examp. Bip’s of EU)
-establishment and maintanence of Iso 22000 FSMS needs deep knowladge and experience, not like “Iso 9001 Quality Management Systems”
-Importing countries support their national FSMS standards instead of ISO’s in the world trade (BRC...)

In the fature naturally, the number will be getting higher and higher.
Iso 22000 will be implemented as mandatory instead of HACCP (Codex All.comm.) in the legislation of countries like New Zealand, Australia..

Best Regards
Vecdi Karacaoğlu
Haccp Eğitim

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

Shocking! I have to admit despite living and breathing food for some years, I only heard about ISO22000 through yourselves. I think that was because I've been in retailer own branded for some time and I just don't think UK supermarkets really hold with ISO when it comes to food. I can only assume it's similar in the US. I mean, who would bother going for ISO22000 in the UK unless a retailer made you or you work for a branded company who has decided it should be a priority? Would you out of choice? I don't think it carries the same weight as the quality ISO standards ironically because they covered several industries and so more people had heard of them.

Perhaps it's really an indication of how unpopular ISO now is with food manufacturers?

I agree GMO, I doubt ISO 22000 will have done much business at all in the UK, France and Germany because of BRC and IFS. There is no driver. Although saying that more than 50% (661) of those certified so far are in Europe. But where?

Dear Sir,

Yes, it is low number, Because;
-Certification bodies acreditated were waited
-Certification wasn’t started together with the puplication of Iso 22000:2005
-Auditor and audit shame for Iso 22000 wasn’t clear, it took time
-It is voluntry system based on confirmity to standard rules in the most Countries
-Importing country rules are based on complience the HACCP system obligations of Codex All.Comm. not to Iso 22000 at the Bip’s of Countries (for examp. Bip’s of EU)
-establishment and maintanence of Iso 22000 FSMS needs deep knowladge and experience, not like “Iso 9001 Quality Management Systems”
-Importing countries support their national FSMS standards instead of ISO’s in the world trade (BRC...)

In the fature naturally, the number will be getting higher and higher.
Iso 22000 will be implemented as mandatory instead of HACCP (Codex All.comm.) in the legislation of countries like New Zealand, Australia..

Best Regards
Vecdi Karacaoğlu
Haccp Eğitim

You present some valid reasons Vecdi. Now that all of the initial problems are solved we should see a big increase - time will tell. I think ISO 22000 needs to be accepted by GFSI for it to penetrate, or maybe the FDA will specify ISO 22000 as their accepted standard, but my guess is that the FDA will specify any GFSI approved standard.

When you say ISO 22000 will be made mandatory in NZ and Australia, do you mean for all areas of the food industry?

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

vecdika

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Turkey
    Turkey

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

Dear Simon,

I know that “To align with international standards and to facilitate trade, the Standards Australia Technical Committee FT-024-Food Products recommended the adoption of the ISO 22000:2005 as an Australian Standard.”
I think you will suport me
Thanks
Vecdi Karacaoğlu
HACCP Eğitim

Albert Chambers

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:32 AM

Simon et al

As the author of the ISO Management Systems article, I would advise readers to carefully note the "caveat lector" statements in the article. The survey is a voluntary one, conducted with the assistance of the former members of ISO TC34 WG8, the experts who developed the standard and some additional information from the databases of some certification bodies that provide easy access to their registries of certified clients. As such the survey should only be seen as being indicative, preliminary and partial. Indeed, in the case of my own country Canada, it is now known to understate the number of certifications significantly, as it has recently come to my attention that Canada's largest grain handling company - Viterra - had completed by early 2008 the certification of all of its handling facilities to ISO 22000 and ISO 9001. This would have added 104 sites to the Canadian total of 15 and about 9% to the international total.

I am looking forward to the 2008 ISO survey results to give us a much clearer impression of the number of certifications to this standard.

Finally, I would encourage participants on the Forum to start now to accumulate their suggestions for improvements to ISO 22000:2005. The standard is up for review. TC34 initiated the process just this week by circulating 1st questionnaire to member bodies, and it is expected that a new subcommittee of TC34 will start the detailed review of it and ISO 22004 in early 2009.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

I agree GMO, I doubt ISO 22000 will have done much business at all in the UK, France and Germany because of BRC and IFS. There is no driver. Although saying that more than 50% (661) of those certified so far are in Europe. But where?

I agree. We should remove ISO 22000 from the forum as it serves no significant purpose and replace it with some other segments of better interest.

Edited by Charles Chew, 27 August 2008 - 04:41 PM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

I am looking forward to the 2008 ISO survey results to give us a much clearer impression of the number of certifications to this standard.

Thanks for the additional information Albert; it certainly helps. Have you any idea when the 2008 ISO survey wil be published and will it be available for general circulation?

Finally, I would encourage participants on the Forum to start now to accumulate their suggestions for improvements to ISO 22000:2005. The standard is up for review. TC34 initiated the process just this week by circulating 1st questionnaire to member bodies, and it is expected that a new subcommittee of TC34 will start the detailed review of it and ISO 22004 in early 2009.

Is the questionnaire available for posting here or do you have specific questions you would like answering. I am more than happy to start a separate thread on a 'wish list' or recommendations for improvement for the next version of ISO 22000. Is it really that time already. Although the majority of our members are complete novices and visit only to get answers during implementation of an ISO 22000 FSMS we also have some very knowledgeable members who are experienced users and consultants.

Let me know.

Regards,
Simon

prav

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

It is certainly big news in India. Everybody in the food industry that I know is working towards it.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

I agree. We should remove ISO 22000 from the forum as it serves no significant purpose and replace it with some other segments of better interest.

Charles is it possible you have something to say behind what you have posted. If so please let us know what is troubling you.

Regards,
Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users