• Quick Navigation
Photo

How do you decide which prerequisite programmes to implement?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic
* - - - - 1 votes

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

The ISO 22000 standard prescribes that an organization shall establish, implement and maintain PRPs and in doing so consider the following areas:

construction and lay-out of buildings and associated utilities
lay-out of premises, including workspace and employee facilities
supplies of air, water, energy and other utilities
supporting services, including waste and sewage disposal
the suitability of equipment
management of purchased materials
- raw materials, ingredients, chemicals and packaging
- supplies such as water, air, steam and ice
- disposals such as waste and sewage
- handling of products such as storage and transportation
- measures for the prevention of cross contamination
cleaning and sanitising
pest control
personnel hygiene
other aspects as appropriate

I would be interested to know what methods our members use to decide which PRPs they require?

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ken

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:WORK: ISO / FSSC 22000 & ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training,
    PLAY: Music concerts/festivals. Folk & Heavy Rock!. Play various instruments, including mandolin, guitar, banjo and bouzouki.

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

Most food processes will require PRP's in all the 'categories' of prp's in the standard. The detail of each one will differ e.g the methods for cleaning and sanitising in a chilled high risk factory are very different to say a flour mill - so how do you work it out?

In practice, I don't think there is a simple 'method' of deciding the detail of prp's. I work as a food technologist and have got involved in ISO 22000 because I have food industry experience of Haccp in sectors where ISO 22000 is being implemented. Obviously, you cannot develop an effective food safety system without this expertise and knowledge.

I will always look for a reference point to help the company which may be government or industry guidance to relevant legislation. e.g The Chilled Foods Association in the UK have published several guidance notes which can provide a useful reference point. If it is a manufacturing process which is new to me, I use my previous experience of a similar industry as a reference point in deciding the appropriate prp's.

Article 7 of Regulation (EC) 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs provides for the development of national guides to good hygiene practice and the application of HACCP principles. These guides are developed by individual food sectors, in consultation with interested parties and so far there aren't many.

This is a reference to UK guides but there are other guides being developed in other countries of the EU although I can't quite remember where I found a reference to these on the EU website.

Have a look at the following for more information:
http://www.food.gov....es/goodpractice

Hope that helps.

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

construction and lay-out of buildings and associated utilities / YES
lay-out of premises, including workspace and employee facilities / YES
supplies of air, water, energy and other utilities / YES
supporting services, including waste and sewage disposal /YES
the suitability of equipment / NOT APPLICABLE (if talking about process equipment)
management of purchased materials / YES
- raw materials, ingredients, chemicals and packaging /YES
- supplies such as water, air, steam and ice / NOT APPLICABLE (we don´t use them)
- disposals such as waste and sewage / YES
- handling of products such as storage and transportation / YES
- measures for the prevention of cross contamination / YES
cleaning and sanitising / YES
pest control / YES
personnel hygiene / YES
other aspects as appropriate / THIS IS THE BEST ONE...
I think any appropriate aspect will come out from the hazard analysis or be explicit from the kind of process involved, local or other regulations involved. The tool we use is the decision tree to go from PRP to CCP.

Regards,

FSSM

BVRC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 43 thanks
Good

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hi there

I think all of the items in the list requires some extent of management within a manufacturing environment, whether you call them all PRP's becomes immaterial, in the context of accountability to the consumer.

Bennii

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:02 AM

Dear Benii,

You are right, doesn´t matter how you call them, you need them to be under control.

Anyway, I´m using this tools, that are a summary of what several members from this Honorable Forum have posted.

Comments are welcome.

Attached File  Selection_and_classification_of_control_measures.doc   53KB   269 downloads
Attached File  Selection_and_classification_of_control_measures.xls   25.5KB   287 downloads

Regards,

FSSM

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:30 AM

Dear FSSM,

Wow ! I bet yr auditor takes a paracetamol before he does the annual desktop audit !. :thumbup:

Dare I ask if the flow tree is validated elsewhere?

Many thanks for sharing.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

I have to agree with bennii and FSSM, it does not matter what you call them as long as you can show that all of your hazards are controlled by something. All of my "PRPs" are in the form of SOPs because that is the typical ISO format and it is what I was used to coming out of an ISO 9000 background.

When I put in ISO 22000 last year along with the decision tree, I used PAS 220, AIB Consolidated Standards and BRC as addtional references because we have customers that are involved in each so the system had to cover all of them. I also used PAS 220 because of the impending approval of FSSC 22000 which was accepted by GFSI as a benchmarked standard in May 2009. As FSSM suggested, you also need to be aware of any regulatory guidelines that may direct you on what is needed.

So far this year my company has been registered ISO 22000 and BRC (for one production line) and have achieved a Superior rating from AIB. We have also been deemed "compliant" to FSSC 22000 and will be including that standard next year.

TS

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

Dear FSSM,

Wow ! I bet yr auditor takes a paracetamol before he does the annual desktop audit !. :thumbup:

Dare I ask if the flow tree is validated elsewhere?

Many thanks for sharing.

Rgds / Charles.C

Well a little bit complicated, but I think it represents the ISO 22000 version of HACCP.

Nop, I haven´t found this elsewhere, but I can tell you it is the result of combining the codex HACCP decision tree with the new questions added by ISO 22000. I submitted it for the Forum to find out any weakness or incongruence.

Regards,

FSSM

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

I have to agree with bennii and FSSM, it does not matter what you call them as long as you can show that all of your hazards are controlled by something. All of my "PRPs" are in the form of SOPs because that is the typical ISO format and it is what I was used to coming out of an ISO 9000 background.

When I put in ISO 22000 last year along with the decision tree, I used PAS 220, AIB Consolidated Standards and BRC as addtional references because we have customers that are involved in each so the system had to cover all of them. I also used PAS 220 because of the impending approval of FSSC 22000 which was accepted by GFSI as a benchmarked standard in May 2009. As FSSM suggested, you also need to be aware of any regulatory guidelines that may direct you on what is needed.

So far this year my company has been registered ISO 22000 and BRC (for one production line) and have achieved a Superior rating from AIB. We have also been deemed "compliant" to FSSC 22000 and will be including that standard next year.

TS

Dear TS,

Congratulations!,

It is nice to hear you will be FSSC 22000 compliant.

What kind of products your company produce?

Regards,

FSSM

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

Dear FSSM,

Well a little bit complicated, but I think it represents the ISO 22000 version of HACCP.

I much appreciate yr point that the standard itself is not exactly "linear" but, IMO, the usual intention of implementing Tree methods (as per Codex HACCP) is to offer a simpler decision route to the desired objective in comparison to the existing options (Whether the Codex approach achieves that is another issue). Much simpler trees to your suggestion were at times proposed within the 22000 development but disappeared, perhaps due to the same difficulty of (simply) matching to the standard's text.

This is not my personal area of expertise but from the occasional hints dropped in this forum, I hv deduced that most auditors simply do not require a detailed analysis for prioritising the prps, oprps etc. and the control options. I guess this may depend on the particular product (ie risk based) so perhaps I am wrong, you (and other users) are in the best position to know ? ;) .

@Tsmith

I have to agree with bennii and FSSM, it does not matter what you call them as long as you can show that all of your hazards are controlled by something. All of my "PRPs" are in the form of SOPs because that is the typical ISO format and it is what I was used to coming out of an ISO 9000 background

How about the CCPs?? I would hv thought the auditor wud not be too ecstatic over being required to absorb a parallel nomenclature system. Bit like using degC in the USA perhaps. :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

@Tsmith

How about the CCPs?? I would hv thought the auditor wud not be too ecstatic over being required to absorb a parallel nomenclature system. Bit like using degC in the USA perhaps. :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

Still have to call a CCP a CCP! I don't think there would be much flexibility on that one and it is the common nomenclature for Quality Systems based on FMEA (Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) and Quality Plans which is basically what HACCP is anyway.

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:55 PM

Dear TS,

Congratulations!,

It is nice to hear you will be FSSC 22000 compliant.

What kind of products your company produce?

Regards,

FSSM

We are a confectionary company. Mostly co-manufacturing but we do make and distribute some of our own products like chocolate covered nuts, fruits and pretzels along with peanut brittles and toasted nuts (honey, butter, toffee, etc).

Not good for the waistline but it all keeps people happy!

TS

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:54 AM

Comments are welcome.

Attached File  Selection_and_classification_of_control_measures.doc   53KB   269 downloads
Attached File  Selection_and_classification_of_control_measures.xls   25.5KB   287 downloads

Regards,

FSSM

Dear FSSM

A trifle complicated I feel :yeahrite:

where do 7.2.1 b) and c) fit into this chart?

Regards,

Tony

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

Dear FSSM

A trifle complicated I feel :yeahrite:

where do 7.2.1 b) and c) fit into this chart?

Regards,

Tony

Thanks for looking into it!

A trifle? I appreciate you being so polite. ;)

I think there is little room to get it easier. You are right b and c don´t apper in the decision tree, but anyway you have to consider those issues when using it with the excel sheet.

Regards,

FSSM

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

We are a confectionary company. Mostly co-manufacturing but we do make and distribute some of our own products like chocolate covered nuts, fruits and pretzels along with peanut brittles and toasted nuts (honey, butter, toffee, etc).

Not good for the waistline but it all keeps people happy!

TS

Sounds delicious, I would like to add a little to the waistline!

Regards,

FSSM

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users