Responsible for overseeing laboratory operations and maintains direct contact with the laboratory client base. This position is responsible for all laboratory operations related to the generation and communication of microbiological and chemical testing results. The Laboratory Manager works closely with the corporate team and has the authority to delegate responsibility for laboratory operations to the laboratory management team when absent from the laboratory.
- Supervise laboratory operations to maintain quality, efficiency and turnaround time on lab work.
- Ensures timely and accurate responses to customer questions or concerns to maintain our high level of customer service.
- Serves as the hiring manager for the laboratory. Ensure that all personnel receive timely reviews and have promotional and/or professional development goals.
- Responsible for the laboratory financials to ensure profitability
- Works with Laboratory team to be ISO 17025 compliant and ensure that the Corporate Quality Management System is correctly employed.
- Ensures the laboratory is clean, sanitary, well organized and that building/equipment maintenance operations are performed.
- Ensure the lab maintains the Laboratory Safety Program at all times
- Supervise non-routine projects per client request and as assigned
- Maintain a high degree of technical competence by reading scientific journals, attending professional workshops, and being aware of food industry issues and trends
- Periodically review and visually audit laboratory staff to ensure compliance with methods
- Communicate directly with clients on laboratory capability, results, pricing, and related topics
- Travel is required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Supervision and oversight of 5 - 30 incumbents dependent on Lab volume
- BS required, MS degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Technology, or related field technical procedures, or governmental regulations preferred or pursuing
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle other communications/computer components
- Potential exposure to odors, fumes, airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, and microbiological pathogens
- Noise level varies from quiet to loud
- Temperature varies from hot to cold
- Interactive and fast-paced team oriented tasks
- Overnight Travel is required at the discretion of management
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Color vision and depth perception