Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:25 AM

Issue 3 of the BRC/IOP Global Standard for Packaging was published in January 2008 and from July 01 2008 (last Tuesday) all audits will be to issue 3 of the Standard.

So what are the key changes?

• The scope of the standard has been extended to include non-food packaging
  • The categories based on risk level of the packaging have changed from A and B to 1, 2 and 3. Using the decision tree, hazard and risk analysis and review of customer base suppliers must determine which categories requirements apply
  • Audit frequency is 12 months unless three or more non-conformities are identified in which case the next audit is six months (tough task)
  • There are now 242 requirement clauses from 178 (not all applicable to lower risk categories 2 and 3)
  • Best Practice Guidelines from issue 2 have been removed and have either become full requirements or taken out of the standard completely. An example of a best practice that has become a requirement is the need to test the traceability system at least annually
  • Greater emphasis on Management Commitment 14 clauses from 6 now including requirements to demonstrate clear channels of communication, adequate provision of human and financial resource and a system for keeping up to date of legislation
  • Management must ensure there is an effective system for closing nonconformities. If repeat nonconformities are identified then a major nonconformity will be raised for lack of management control
  • New clauses on customer focus and contract review, site security, product design and development, in-line testing equipment and calibration
  • Leader of the multidisciplinary Hazard and Risk Management team must be suitably trained in hazard analysis and risk management techniques
  • Evaluators will be referred to as Auditors
Well that’s it. If anyone wants to get into detail on any of the new or existing requirements please fire away.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

kaz

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hi Simon
we had a pre audit to issue 3 a couple of weeks ago to gain accreditation for our extrusion line (thermoforming side been accredited for several years). Everything went ok, just a few minors. Our full audit next week. Hopefully we will be ok and pass. Will let you know how things go
regards
Karen

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

Hi Simon
we had a pre audit to issue 3 a couple of weeks ago to gain accreditation for our extrusion line (thermoforming side been accredited for several years). Everything went ok, just a few minors. Our full audit next week. Hopefully we will be ok and pass. Will let you know how things go
regards
Karen

Great news Karen and please do let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

kaz

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hi Simon
:thumbup:

Just thought I'd let you know we passed BRC/IOP issue 3 yesterday. The audit was a lot more intence than issue 2, with the time now a day and a half. As I said in my previous reply this is the first time out extrusion line has applied for accreditaion so you can imagine how pleased we were to get 3 minor non conformances
Kaz
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :smarty:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

Dear Karen,

In advance of Simon, please let me also offer my congratulations. :thumbup:
Anyone who can achieve 3 minor NCs these days must be doing a lot of things very correctly.

(The use of pre-audits seems to be becoming very common these days, nice business for the auditors of course. ;) )

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

Well done Kaz, I'm sort of pleased you got a couple of minors as we may not have had enough :thumbup: in stock. :lol:

Great news, I hope you still visit us from time to time.

Regards,
Simon

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Those already registered to BRC Packaging Standard (ver 2) will find the attached document very useful when preparing for audit to version 3.

Regards,
Simon

Attached Files

Kannan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

Hi Simon,

We are going for BRC from ISO 22000 for our packaging unit. I am working with the Issue 2 of BRC. I downloaded the consultation review copy of BRC/ IOP Issue 3 posted by you previously. Could you provide the password of the same.
Regards,
Kannan
kannanfoodtech@gmail.com

Issue 3 of the BRC/IOP Global Standard for Packaging was published in January 2008 and from July 01 2008 (last Tuesday) all audits will be to issue 3 of the Standard.

So what are the key changes?

• The scope of the standard has been extended to include non-food packaging
  • The categories based on risk level of the packaging have changed from A and B to 1, 2 and 3. Using the decision tree, hazard and risk analysis and review of customer base suppliers must determine which categories requirements apply
  • Audit frequency is 12 months unless three or more non-conformities are identified in which case the next audit is six months (tough task)
  • There are now 242 requirement clauses from 178 (not all applicable to lower risk categories 2 and 3)
  • Best Practice Guidelines from issue 2 have been removed and have either become full requirements or taken out of the standard completely. An example of a best practice that has become a requirement is the need to test the traceability system at least annually
  • Greater emphasis on Management Commitment 14 clauses from 6 now including requirements to demonstrate clear channels of communication, adequate provision of human and financial resource and a system for keeping up to date of legislation
  • Management must ensure there is an effective system for closing nonconformities. If repeat nonconformities are identified then a major nonconformity will be raised for lack of management control
  • New clauses on customer focus and contract review, site security, product design and development, in-line testing equipment and calibration
  • Leader of the multidisciplinary Hazard and Risk Management team must be suitably trained in hazard analysis and risk management techniques
  • Evaluators will be referred to as Auditors
Well that’s it. If anyone wants to get into detail on any of the new or existing requirements please fire away.

Regards,
Simon

BBrandDesign

Grade - AIFSQN

• Banned
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:35 AM

Thank you Simon for great sharing. I am working with the Issue 2 of BRC. I hope this sharing will help me.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users