Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:55 PM

Hello,

New member here, but long time "lurker"! :oops:

First of all I must apologize for my English (being a non-native speaker!). I hope I'll still manage to make myself clear enough!

I have been reading with great interest the various posts about Food Safety standards, and one question came to my mind: what are the relative "weights" of those standards (BRC, EFSIS, IFS, SQF 2000) in terms of use by the retailers/ the industries?

I was wondering if anyone knew of stats about that (number of industries who have the BRC certification/ the IFS/ etc...)? Or perhaps you guys have a "quantitative appreciation" of the matter (such as: "I know that in my country, that particular standard is the most used, as opposed to this one that has a minor impact", etc...)?

Anyway, just interested in that kind of approach. I hope this is the right forum to ask this. If it isn't, please accept my apologies and feel free to move/delete this post!

Looking forward to discussing with you all!

Edited by skywalker, 03 May 2005 - 02:57 PM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

New member here, but long time "lurker"! 

Lurker Skywalker - now where have I heard that one before? :lol2: Sorry I couldn't resist, welcome to the forums and I'm pleased you finally decided to join in.

In answer to your question I have absolutely no idea. I know of no statistics, but subjectively speaking I can tell you a little about the situation in the UK regarding the BRC Global Standards. Both the BRC Food (released 1999) and Packaging (released 2001) Standards have been around a while and are the benchmark Standards in the UK, most of the retailers require them (Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Marks & Spencer etc.).

The Standards have proliferated throughout the UK food supply industries and are now being adopted by many food and packaging businesses elsewhere in the world by organisations that supply or want to supply into the UK.

The problem with getting accurate numbers on certified companies is there are scores of certification bodies and most do not publish their figures.

Wet finger in the air I guess 5,000 food and 1,000 packaging businesses worldwide. I admit I could be a mile out.

Can anyone help skywalker out on the BRC or other standards?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

skywalker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:07 AM

Hi Simon, and thanks for this info as well as for welcoming me! I wanted to congratulate you for this great website that is an incredible source of information for "ignorants" like me ! :oops:

I have been researching the web for more information about the relative use of standards. So far, I've been able to find some info on the FCD website (FCD is the French retailers main organization, and the one who developped the 4th version of IFS along with German HDE).

See this powerpoint presentation for more details.

The stats they have are about audits accomplished for German retailers (the implementation of IFS in France only started in 2005, so they have no stats for the moment!). In October 2004 (date when the presentation was made) there had been about 1700 audits for IFS made; mainly in Germany but also in the UK, in France, etc. ...
29 certification bodies had the relevant accreditation (EN 45 011) and were "authorized" to perform IFS audits.

Once again I apologize for my English ! I obviously don't know all the appropriate "technical" terms...

I'll add more links/info in this thread if I find anything relevant.

Edited by skywalker, 04 May 2005 - 10:09 AM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

1,700 is actually quite a good number in such a short space of time. Does anyone know when the IFS was launched?

The other complication Skywalker is that some organisations hold dual certification e.g. BRC & IFS; this is for example where a UK based food producer supplies to the UK and German markets and vice versa. I wonder if there are figures for this. I do know one member of the SDF (Yorky) whose company has both.

Let us know if you find out and more facts and figures.

By the way your English is great. :thumbup:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

skywalker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:12 PM

From what is said on that site, the IFS was started in 2002 by the HDE (Hauptverband des Deutschen Einzelhandels) and the first audits were performed in 2003. The French from the FCD joined in 2003 and started their first audits in 2005.

I've read while surfing on the web that many certification bodies now "offered" packs including BRC + IFS certification (for example). I guess it reveals that there is an increasing demand for such "combined audits", and thus that there is an increasing number of companies that are asked to be certified against both standards because they have clients in both Germany/France and the UK.

In addition to that phenomenon, I'd also be interested in finding stats about the number of companies whose clients in the UK require EFSIS in comparison to the number that require BRC. The point is that both standards appear to be very similar (although EFSIS can only be certified by... the EFSIS), and both are British standards, so most likely to be required by British clients... I'd say, intuitively, that retailers in the UK ask more for the BRC than for the EFSIS, but I'd like to know whether that is exact and to what extent. Unfortunately, there is very few information about the EFSIS standard :dunno:

I'll let you know if I find something!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users