Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

I have a question and im hoping that their are some good practices that can be shared. We have been going through a number of audits, internal audits, supplier audits, ISO audits...and the list goes on, and their is so much of paper work on writing findings, following up on findings for each audit, status of open findings etc. how do you keep track and manage the whole system? we currently have a good audit management system where all audits are catergorised and reports are written on findings, but i was wondering if their isnt a better more efficient method to manage the whole process? i came across some software relating to auditing and food safety system management which looked really nice in the preview but how practical it is can be questionable unless actually used. So do you have any advice? have you come across any systems that could help improve the auditing process? what are you currently using in your plants to manage the process? looking forward to some positive feedback!! Many thanks QA trainee

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

Microsoft Excel has always been my tool of choice for centralising and controlling audit findings and corrective actions. It’s a bit of a pain transferring information from various audit sources such as customer, internal and third party audits to another spreadsheet, but in my opinion it’s well worth the effort.

It is easy to set up a spreadsheet and typical data columns could be:

Date audit action generated
Date response required
Audit finding source (e.g. internal audit)
Audit finding description
Audit finding group (e.g. personal hygiene)
Department responsible for Corrective Action
Person responsible for Corrective Action
Corrective Action taken
Corrective Action follow up date
Action Status

The beauty of this is that you can sort and analyse the data to identify trends by department and/or by audit finding group and this will help to identify where you have weaknesses in the system for identifying refresher training.

In my opinion this has always been sufficient and no need for expensive software. That aid I’ve never tried any so I am open to being proved wrong.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

QA trainee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Thanks simon that sound like an excellent suggestion. Will give it a try and see how well we could manage the system through excel.

I am still curious about the software and if anyone out their has used a program that could really help with auditing.

Rgards

QA trainee

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hi QA Trainee,

I have always used excel databases. See the respons of Simon. The columns were more or less the same. I also used a column wich described the correct action to be taken.

As an auditor I have seen different tools for documenting, managing and analysing corrective actions.
The one that IMO is used for the most is Excel ;) .
Also access based programs are find frequently. Mostly made by the company it self.
Quality on Line, as a quality management system, also provides the ability to record/ manage complaints and corrective actions. I think 3 or 4 of mij clients are using this system.
Another system that is still used frequently: just paper and pen. :biggrin: , but I have to mention this is mostly done at the SMEs.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:27 AM

dear QA TRaINEE...

More or less same with simon...i just add Paper record thta for backup if the computer having trouble.... And i have another form to make CAR ...

4W?

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

Microsoft Excel has always been my tool of choice for centralising and controlling audit findings and corrective actions. It’s a bit of a pain transferring information from various audit sources such as customer, internal and third party audits to another spreadsheet, but in my opinion it’s well worth the effort.

It is easy to set up a spreadsheet and typical data columns could be:

Date audit action generated
Date response required
Audit finding source (e.g. internal audit)
Audit finding description
Audit finding group (e.g. personal hygiene)
Department responsible for Corrective Action
Person responsible for Corrective Action
Corrective Action taken
Corrective Action follow up date
Action Status

The beauty of this is that you can sort and analyse the data to identify trends by department and/or by audit finding group and this will help to identify where you have weaknesses in the system for identifying refresher training.

That is really great idea!
I've been having the same problem as QA trainee trying to manage all the the different audit outcomes and follow ups.
What I've been doing, as an auditor, was keeping record of different audits in different places and managing the corrective actions and follow ups had been crazy.
Thank you Simon

QA trainee, sorry I didn't had any different, useful method of managing audits to your forum. :rolleyes:

regards,
Vera

Using the same method
and expecting different results
is the definition of madness!

QA trainee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

This is excellent guys!! i really appreciate all the info, starting out in quality can become quite a heavy task but its well worth the effort when you have support.
It also helps to know that i am experiencing similar difficulties.

still curious if anyone els has info on software based management systems that work well.

please keep the information flowing...

Rgards

QA trainee

kox

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:41 AM

Dear QA trainee

As an auditor with almost 5 year experience in external auditing and plus 4 years as QM I do not see any program which work better then excel. I see some, mostly ERP's but it's too expensive, and I think you could customize excel more easier to your needs.
Even Certification Body's such as DNV use excel for the audit findings left on site.

regards,
Ferencz

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

I'm using QPulse right now. It's got document control and calibration control functionality as well. Not sure how much it costs but it's definitely good.

Dunaskin

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

Hi

I've been using QPulse since 1998 for all our QA record handling and control of audits, training & calibration.

Thoroughly recommend it. Worth a look at www.gaelquality.com

Dunaskin.

QA trainee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

Wow...i checked out the website and this software looks really good. Have you guys applied the software to manage ISO 22000 and other standards? How applicable is the software to use on an intergrated level?

Thanks for the very useful feedback!! :rolleyes:

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

I have used Q-Pulse in the past with a Quality Management System but not ISO 22000. I do know you can link multiple standards as it comes with ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 examples pre-loaded.

It is generally flexible and the company is constantly updating to fill needs so if you find something lacking, they will adjust.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Q-Pulse sounds good, lot's of recommendations here.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

QA trainee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:18 AM

Hi guys

I just found out that a competitor in our market is also using the Qpulse system to manage their quality systems. Thanks for all your positive input and assistance it has definitely given me cost effective ways to solve the problem (excel spreadsheets) and a valuable software system to have a look at (Qpulse)

Regards
QA trainee

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Your question on standards; it comes with BRC version 5 standard preloaded I think, I can't remember whether ISO22000 was on there already or whether we put it in. It means you can link each audit to which area of which standard you're auditing.

It's a very good system (I'll have to contact Gael now for my fee... *joke*) but it's no better than any other system at making the people do what they say they will but you can set it up to nag by email!

excellens

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Dominican Republic
    Dominican Republic

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

Guys,

I found a software called ISOSystem Plus

http://isosystemplus.com/

Check it out.

Horacio

Bojan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Croatia
    Croatia

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

I will give it a try, it looks interesting .

Thank You excellens.

Bojan

hoster

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

I use software from vibato and they have been really helpful in helping find my audit risk assessment and even help me reduce a lot of cost in trying to use my outdated software. They were also very helpful and very friendly and even put everything together for me when i first started using the software hopefully they can help you as well.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users