• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:39 AM

:helpplease: Dear Members

I am looking for comments from all of you regarding the Techniques behind making of "Crab Base" out of water from Crab steaming, by steaming of Crab shell, back etc.

The points include, How we can make a Crab base by utilizing the water from fresh blue crab steaming , How can be make the water more concentrate, purify and make thicker and shelf stable.

I searched for Crab base and found products , but not the processing technique.

Please share your thoughts

Sincerely

Jophi K Jose

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

Dear Jophie,

I am not sure any if these can help you, but I think its worth to check:

http://www.freepaten...om/5928072.html

http://www.freepaten...amp;stemming=on

Try to use the search engine on that site too.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Jophi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

Thank you Arya for posting the details - It is of course gave some general idea eventhough it is not exactly what I am looking for.

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

Hi Jophi,

If I'm not wrong, you are talking about something like a soup/gravy base product?

I think the most important thing is a really good recipe for the crab dish.

Here's one, though I can't vouch for it's goodness. (Coz I haven't tried it before!)

STEAMED BLUE CRABS 1 dozen live blue crabs
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup beer
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 clove minced garlic
1 bay leaf
3/4 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning or crab boil

Combine liquid ingredients with seasonings. In a large stockpot with a lid, place half of the crabs on the bottom; pour on half of the vinegar mixture. Add remaining crabs and liquid.Cover and steam until crabs become bright red, about 20-25 minutes.

Serves 4.

Submitted by: CM

http://www.cooks.com...-240192,00.html

Once you have finished cooking, finish up the meat and discard the shells. But keep the flavorful liquid in the pot and continue cooking under low heat to concentrate the liquid.

As water evaporates, the solution will thicken up as the solid content becomes higher.

Of coz, your base very much depends on whether you have a good recipe. So, have fun cooking!

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Jophi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:17 AM

Dear Hongyum

Thank you for your posting and a good natural soup recipe.
The final product I intend to make is some thing like a Maggi "Chicken Stock" or "Beef stock" cube.
There are Crab bases available in some countries ( as seen in internet) but the recipie for making a Crab base is not found.

More over , I am looking for a process which can use the Crab steamed water, Crab backs etc to convert in to a Crab base ( which is very natural) from the main commercial crab cooking/ picking operations.

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

Dear Jophi,

Just adding another general ideas:

http://www.cheftalk....uch-flavor.html

http://www.globalgou...crab-stock.html

Sorry cant give you so much help. But I have some interest in knowing meat extraction product nowadays (well actually its one of my jobdesc). Crab stock seems so 'unique' to me. I have to struggle to break the crab shell just to get a piece of meat. And now you want to make the stock? All I can imagine it will be so expensive.

Please share again, I'll see if I can get another hunch for you.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Jophi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

Dear Arya

Since you are from Indonesia, you may seen several crab pasteurization factories there . They all are steaming crab and removing the steaming water, Crab shells, gills etc as a waste product . However it is a natural source for Crab stock if we process it correctly. There are few doing the same too . I wonder how they are doing it !! and looking for that basic procedure. Thank you for your inputs.

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

Maybe a little late for a response, but I recently watched Discovery's Dirty Jobs and thought this might give you an idea on the crab processing.

>Dirty Jobs J M Clayton CO Crabbing<

Perhaps you can use the "minced" crab meat towards the end of the clip, season them, dried it up some more and compress them into cube sized crab stocks.

&quot;World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer.&quot;

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! &gt;&gt; &lt;&lt;

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

:helpplease: Dear Members

I am looking for comments from all of you regarding the Techniques behind making of "Crab Base" out of water from Crab steaming, by steaming of Crab shell, back etc.

The points include, How we can make a Crab base by utilizing the water from fresh blue crab steaming , How can be make the water more concentrate, purify and make thicker and shelf stable.

I searched for Crab base and found products , but not the processing technique.

Please share your thoughts

Sincerely

Jophi K Jose

Just a simple process in mind to get most concentrated crab stock,

Take a fresh crab, remove unwanted parts, put it in a closed vessel with 3-4 level water and some boiling chips, start heating slowly and reach up to 90 deg C, keep boiling under condensation up to 4 hours (min.), filter it and concentrate by evaporate, make sure the flavour remains in the concentrate, may use vacuum, add flavour enhancers and other additives to preserve, final product store at room temperature and observe periodically.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users