• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:QMS, FSMS

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

Now ISO 22000:2005 is available :clap:

http://www.iso.org/i...tm?refid=ref966

On 1st September 2005, ISO 22000:2005, Food safety management systems - Requirments for any organization in the food chain, has published.

I am in the Land of the Rising Sun. :king:
I got the standard "this morning", and I have made attached file. :spoton:
There are few changes between FDIS and ISO 22000:2005.

Attached Files

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:06 AM

I got the standard "this morning", and I have made attached file.

:clap: :king: :beer:

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

Is it a defacto European Standard?

What is the impact on other privately controlled food safety certification programmes?

The implications would be interesting.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:02 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you so much the comparison is very useful. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:46 PM

Follows is the full press release from the ISO web site:

Ref. 966

1 September 2005

ISO 22000 for safe food supply chains

ISO 22000, published today, is a new International Standard designed to ensure safe food supply chains worldwide.

ISO 22000:2005, Food safety management systems - Requirements for any organization in the food chain, provides a framework of internationally harmonized requirements for the global approach that is needed. The standard has been developed within ISO by experts from the food industry, along with representatives of specialized international organizations and in close cooperation with the Codex Alimentarius Commission, the body jointly established by the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and World Health Organization (WHO) to develop food standards.

A major resulting benefit is that ISO 22000 will make it easier for organizations worldwide to implement the Codex HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) system for food hygiene in a harmonized way, which does not vary with the country or food product concerned.

Food reaches consumers via supply chains that may link many different types of organization and that may stretch across multiple borders. One weak link can result in unsafe food that is dangerous to health - and when this happens, the hazards to consumers can be serious and the cost to food chain suppliers considerable. As food safety hazards can enter the food chain at any stage, adequate control throughout is essential. Food safety is a joint responsibility of all the actors in the food chain and requires their combined efforts.

ISO 22000 is therefore designed to allow all types of organization within the food chain to implement a food safety management system. These range from feed producers, primary producers, food manufacturers, transport and storage operators and subcontractors to retail and food service outlets - together with related organizations such as producers of equipment, packaging material, cleaning agents, additives and ingredients.

The standard has become necessary because of the significant increase of illnesses caused by infected food in both developed and developing countries. In addition to the health hazards, food-borne illnesses can give rise to considerable economic costs covering medical treatment, absence from work, insurance payments and legal compensation.

As a result, a number of countries have developed national standards for the supply of safe food and individual companies and groupings in the food sector have developed their own standards or programmes for auditing their suppliers. The plethora of more than 20 different such schemes worldwide generates risks of uneven levels of food safety, confusion over requirements, and increased cost and complication for suppliers that find themselves obliged to conform to multiple programmes.

ISO 22000, backed by international consensus, harmonizes the requirements for systematically managing safety in food supply chains and offers a unique solution for good practice on a worldwide basis. In addition, food safety management systems that conform to ISO 22000 can be certified - which answers the growing demand in the food sector for the certification of suppliers - although the standard can be implemented without certification of conformity, solely for the benefits it provides.

Developed with the participation of food sector experts, ISO 22000 incorporates the principles of HACCP, and covers the requirements of key standards developed by various global food retailer syndicates, in a single document.

'Public sector participation in the development of the ISO 22000 family is also significant,' ISO Secretary-General Alan Bryden commented, 'notably that of the FAO/WHO's Codex Alimentarius Commission, which is responsible for the well-known HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) system for food hygiene. Thanks to the strong partnership between ISO and Codex, ISO 22000 will facilitate the implementation of HACCP and the food hygiene principles developed by this pre-eminent body in this field.'

Another benefit of ISO 22000 is that it extends the successful management system approach of the ISO 9001:2000 quality management system standard which is widely implemented in all sectors but does not itself specifically address food safety. The development of ISO 22000 was based on the assumption that the most effective food safety systems are designed, operated and continually improved within the framework of a structured management system, and incorporated into the overall management activities of the organization.

While ISO 22000 can be implemented on its own, it is designed to be fully compatible with ISO 9001:2000 and companies already certified to ISO 9001 will find it easy to extend this to certification to ISO 22000. To help users to do so, ISO 22000 includes a table showing the correspondence of its requirements with those of ISO 9001:2000.

ISO 22000:2005 is the first in a family of standards that will include the following documents:

ISO/TS 22004, Food safety management systems - Guidance on the application of ISO 22000:2005, which will be published by November 2005, provides important guidance that can assist organizations including small and medium-sized enterprises around the world.

ISO/TS 22003, Food safety management systems - Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of food safety management systems, will give harmonized guidance for the accreditation (approval) of ISO 22000 certification bodies and define the rules for auditing a food safety management system as conforming to the standard. It will be published in the first quarter of 2006.

ISO 22005, Traceability in the feed and food chain - General principles and guidance for system design and development, will shortly be circulated as a Draft International Standard.
In partnership with the International Trade Centre (ITC) - the technical cooperation agency of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and the World Trade Organization (WTO) - ISO is also preparing an easy-to-use check-list for small businesses and developing countries, entitled ISO 22000: Are you ready?

ISO 22000 and ISO/TS 22004 are the output of working group WG 8, Food safety management systems, of ISO technical committee ISO/TC 34, Food products. Experts from 23 countries participated in the working group, together with international organizations with liaison status. In addition to the Codex Alimentarius Commission, these included the Confederation of the Food and Drink Industries of the European Union (CIAA), the CIES/Global Food Safety Initiative, and the World Food Safety Organization (WFSO). They have been joined for the development of ISO/TS 22003 by experts from the ISO committee on conformity assessment, ISO/CASCO, the International Accreditation Forum (IAF) and the IQNet international certification network.

ISO 22000:2005, Food safety management systems - Requirements for any organization in the food chain, costs 118 Swiss francs and is available from ISO national member institutes (see the complete list with contact details) and from ISO Central Secretariat (see below).

ISO Store: to order ISO 22000:2005, Food safety management systems -- Requirements for any organization in the food chain

More information:

ISO 22000 standard for safe food supply chains -- Article from ISO Management Systems 4/2005 (PDF, 132 KB)
ISO 22000 to ensure integrity of food supply chain -- Article from ISO Management Systems 5/2004 (PDF, KB 312)

Enquiries about orders:

Ms. Sonia Rosas Friot
Marketing Services
Tel. +41 22 749 03 36
Fax +41 22 749 09 47
E-mail sales@iso.org

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:37 AM

If anyone has a copy of the June 2004 ISO 22000 which says Draft Europen Standard, you know what coming!

It said
"This draft European Standard is submitted to CEN Members for parallel enquiries. If this draft becomes a "European Standard", CEN members are bound to comply with the CEN/CENELEC Internal Regulations which stipulates the conditions for giving this Europena Standard the status of a national standard without any alteration"

I think its huge impact and believe it will happen some 3-6 months down the road. I also believe the tsunami of implications has yet to be felt.

Note: I am not sure if I am allowed to post the version on the forum and I would rather abstain for now.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

raffaella

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:41 AM

is there someone who can tell me, if you know, if ISO 22000 will replace BRC, ISO 9000 and HACCP? Or it's only a plus that a farm can do...
thank you

http://www.iso.org/i...7&ICS2=20&ICS3=

On 1st September 2005, ISO 22000:2005, Food safety management systems - Requirments for any organization in the food chain, has published.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:22 AM

is there someone who can tell me, if you know, if ISO 22000 will replace BRC, ISO 9000 and HACCP?

Hi Raffaella and welcome to SDF

The answer is: no one knows if ISO 22000 will replace other food safety standards. :dunno:

IMHO it will not become the only worldwide standard because retailers won't give up.

See also
GFSI Faq's

BTW are you italian ? Rgds :bye: Franco

Edited by Franco, 05 September 2005 - 10:36 AM.

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

raffaella

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:01 AM

Thank you Franco!
I'll read file you send me....I hope understand something..

Yes I'm italian (also your name is italian one... and you?)

bye

Hi Raffaella and welcome to SDF

The answer is: no one knows if ISO 22000 will replace other food safety standards. :dunno:

IMHO it will not become the only worldwide standard because retailers won't give up.

See also
GFSI Faq's

BTW are you italian ? Rgds :bye: Franco

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

I'll read file you send me....I hope understand something..

Please feel free to ask more questions to SDF experts.

Yes I'm italian (also your name is italian one... and you?)

I am italian too. WOW ! Great !
September 5th will be a memorable day. :happydance:
As far as I know there are two Saferpakers from spaghetti land: me and you :clap:

Edited by Franco, 05 September 2005 - 12:11 PM.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:39 PM

ISO 22000 may not be benchmarking to ISO anymore if CEN is adopting it as a European Standard. Currently, there is no official direction from CEN but it was already treated as a draft standard back in June.

So if ISO 22000 were to become a national standard, I believe it will "delete" BRC standards and all the rest of the other private standards in EU.

But there is a point about "de-harmonization" when ISO 22K being under guide 62 when all the rest of the standards are guide 65. But the fact is that if it is a national std. it shall dictate no matter what guide it is under! :lol2:

Still, there appears to be no clear direction. Interesting uncertainties prevailing a so- called global std!

Franco - I am not missing out either. Are there any Malaysians in this forum!

CHarles Chew

Edited by charleschew, 06 September 2005 - 01:14 AM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

I am italian too. WOW ! Great !
September 5th will be a memorable day.  :happydance:
As far as I know there are two Saferpakers from spaghetti land: me and you :clap:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Franco I am so pleased for you; at last a friend with culture.:yeahrite:

Brian Fowler

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:26 PM

http://www.iso.org/i...7&ICS2=20&ICS3=

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:uhm: Now the final version comes out with changes from the DIS draft, just when I had got all my documentation ready for tomorrow when I am doing probably the first evaluation against the standard under the UKAS pilot scheme.
Brian Fowler

Brian Fowler

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:30 PM

Because the BRC standards are proscriptive and specify the retailers exact requirements as a due diligence defense, it is extremely unlikely that ISO 22000 will be accepted as a replacement. The new standard has a great future as a complementary Food safety management standard.
Brian Fowler

Edited by Simon Timperley, 06 September 2005 - 08:46 PM.

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:28 PM

is there someone who can tell me, if you know, if ISO 22000 will replace BRC, ISO 9000 and HACCP?

There's a poll in SDF ISO 22000 poll

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:18 PM

is there someone who can tell me, if you know, if ISO 22000 will replace BRC, ISO 9000 and HACCP? Or it's only a plus that a farm can do...
thank you

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Raffaella,

Don't forget that ISO9000 is a quality standard and not a food safety standard.

you could achieve the ISO22K registration but still be making very poor quality products that are safe

EG: beefburgers that do not contain any hazards but that do not contain any beef either :thumbdown:

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

But there is a point about "de-harmonization" when ISO 22K being under guide 62 when all the rest of the standards are guide 65. But the fact is that if it is a national std. it shall dictate no matter what guide it is under!  :lol2:

Still, there appears to be no clear direction. Interesting uncertainties prevailing a so- called global std!

CHarles Chew

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are preparing an international standard for accreditation bodies to replace Guide 62 for ISO22K.

It is called ISO22003 and is due out "soon". The pilot schemes will assess against guide 62 but will change to ISO22003 once the standard is released.

The idea was to release the 2 together but due to some CB's issuing certificates to the FDIS of 22K everything had to move forward.

give it a year and we will have a harmonised standard (there may even be a time limit for issuing certificates to clients but I doubt it)

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

ISO22003 and is due out "soon"

James,
Great stuff! I am extremely excited and confident about ISO 22K being "THE CHOSEN" standard that rules the food safety management system worldwide.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:54 PM

Thanks James. :bye:

and thanks Brian. :beer:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users