• Quick Navigation
Photo

Measurable Objectives for a Food Safety Policy?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic
* * * * * 1 votes

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:01 AM

In section 5.2 of ISO 22000 one of the requirements is that:

'The food safety policy shall be supported by measurable objectives'

I'd like to canvass member opinions on the sorts of measurable objectives we should consider.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 2 Members:

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:10 AM

'The food safety policy shall be supported by measurable objectives'

I'm enclosing a helpful file IMHO. Rgds. Franco
Attached File  JFCO959Zwietering.pdf   1.04MB   5016 downloads

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

I'm enclosing a helpful file IMHO. Rgds. Franco
Attached File  JFCO959Zwietering.pdf   1.04MB   5016 downloads

Thanks Franco, I will have a read and get back.

What about everyone else? Surely you're not bored with ISO 22000 already. :dunno:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:35 PM

Franco - indeed anyone, do you think the attached is what ISO 22000 is talking about in terms of measurable objectives for the food safety policy.

If I relate this back to ISO 9001:2000 quality policy objectives are strategic level statements written on glossy paper by the CEO. They must be measurable or else you get:

Our aim is to be world class in everything we do!

Or target is to delight our customers!

Objectives should be cascaded appropriately throughout the organisation and a link should be available through the general strategic (policy) objectives to management objectives and down to specific operational activities. Each should be measurable where appropriate.

I've not seen many food safety policies and I would be interested in their content. Would anyone be brave enough to post an example food safety policy for discussion?

Regards,
Simon

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:30 PM

Would anyone be brave enough to post an example food safety policy for discussion?

Simon,
Let me be the first volunteer. Hope it will be useful.

Cheers
Charles Chew

Attached Files

Edited by charleschew, 23 September 2005 - 12:10 AM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Thanked by 7 Members:

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:00 AM

Food Safety Policy is merely just a statement of intent. No big deal apart from complying with the requirements under the standard.............at what level of achievement in meeting the intended food safety objectives is really another story.

Measurable objectives are measurable results of "HACCP Validation Activities" and "HACCP Verification Activities" in acertaining whether the Food Safety System and GMP (PRPs) Programmes are achieving the minimum acceptable level of food safety assurances that such activities had originally been intended.

If the above are not in your system, IMO, the PRP activity results are recorded - BUT they are not measured.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:21 AM

OK so the Food safety Policy is where the CEO (e.g. Mr Shittlegroover) promotes his bland marketing platitudes such as:

Our company provide our global customer base with 100% safe and wholesome foods, blah, blah, blah.

However, the proof of the pudding is in the results of "HACCP Validation Activities" and "HACCP Verification Activities'.

The important point is there is a connection between operations and senior management. If the system is not meeting the food safety policy objectives at an operational level you can take it right to the top.

BTW Charles thanks for sharing the policy. :thumbup:

Regards,
Simon

Thanked by 2 Members:

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:10 AM

Franco - indeed anyone, do you think the attached is what ISO 22000 is talking about in terms of measurable objectives for the food safety policy.

Yes. And the attachment shows how the FSO of the country are linked to the FSO of the company.

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:44 AM

Greg Paoli - Peeling the onion maybe this presentation shades some more light on the subject :uhm: maybe it rises more fog :uhm:

Edited by Franco, 26 September 2005 - 11:51 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:10 AM

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

Greg Paoli - Peeling the onion maybe this presentation shades some more light on the subject :uhm: maybe it rises more fog :uhm:

The presentation has a good title. I read it and it made me cry. :crybaby:

Thanks,
Simon

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:44 PM

Thanked by 2 Members:

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:18 AM

From policy to objectives,

Some examples,

Okido,

SMART, A small step for consultants a giant step for managers.
Attached File  Foodsafety_objectives_ABC_LTD.doc   20.5KB   2334 downloads

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

What I like really about your objectives Okido is that they are simple and measurable. Whether I agree with them all is a different matter and really none of my business. It's your food safety management system and you and your team have sat down and intelligently considered the objectives you need to maintain and improve your system based on your particular circumstances. Brilliant mate!

Regards,
Simon

Chris

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:31 PM

Hello, this is my first post to this fascinating forum:

I believe implementation of ISO22000 implys that a company is willing to stand up and admit that there are potential food safety concerns related to their products and that they plan to do what they can to minimise these risks (their FSOs, CCPs and PRPs). Perhaps willingness and capability to embrace the implications of Risk Communication will impede widespread ISO22000 implementation.

As I interpret it, in implementing ISO22000 the company must admit that the absolute safety of every individual product is not known and can not be absolute, but, in the companies view the frequency of detecting unsafe product is acceptable (necessary for HACCP verification and validation). I guess how this admission is then perceived by the customer, consumer and other interested parties will be key to the success of ISO22000.

Ethically this is a great step forward, but may require significant investment in skills and competencies.

Does anyony have positive or negative practical experience of these challenges?

Regards,
Chris.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:09 PM

Does anyony have positive or negative practical experience of these challenges?

Hi Chris,
Absolutely. The dynamic nature and circumstances of any food safety programs is itself the centre of challenge. IMO, system upgrades and updates through both internal and external communications reflect one of the core elements of continuous improvements hopefully through embracing ISO 22000.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

angelica

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Argentina
    Argentina

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

gentle list members

I'd appreciate if any of you could give me an opinion about it

Do you think it’s correct to have the following as an objective? We have to do it anyway because of the necessity of validating the procedure Identify the location and contact every customer /transporter/storage manager where the product lot could be, in a maximum of 2 h when testing the recall/withdrawal procedure.

We produce raw nuts and provide them to other processors end we are implementing ISO 22000.

thank you in advance for your answers
Angelica

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:31 AM

Hi Angelica,

Performance of recalls or test recalls can be an objective.
Be it an maximum time that is needed to go back and forward one step in the chain.

Have a nice day, Okido

angelica

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Argentina
    Argentina

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

thank you, Okido
I appreciate your opinion very much
have a nice day
:bye:
Angélica

Biss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:17 AM

hi,

in the test recall both the recovery percentage and time taken can be included as objectives.

Biss

HZT-MYANMAR

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Myanmar
    Myanmar
  • Interests:In our company, We all tried to maintain the ISO22000-2005 Standard. At the same time we would try for getting BRC (issued-6) Certification. (Since Our products is low risk products and they were intended to export to international market segments.)

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

Dear all ,
I doubt that , the all objectives are measureable or not .
For eg , To improve the awareness of food safety management system of all employeees. This Objective is qualitative , right .
So how to improve as human being .
If U have any solution or different idea , save me from confusing.
Thank You .
HZT

HZT-MYANMAR

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:22 AM

Dear HZT..

To Imporve your human being.. firsy you must have a system to control your competitiveness of your employee.. the competitiveness are contain soft skill ( attitude) and hard skill ( technical skil)... and then you have to improve screen systems and training system to improve the people skill.. thats part of FSO..

IMEX .. in my previoius company we alwasy state in the FSO :
" We plain to increase competitveness food handler by training and the objective is minimum ± 6 hours / employee / year (sorry i forget for the number)"

OK.. Thats my Opinion...

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

Dear HZT..

To Imporve your human being.. firsy you must have a system to control your competitiveness of your employee.. the competitiveness are contain soft skill ( attitude) and hard skill ( technical skil)... and then you have to improve screen systems and training system to improve the people skill.. thats part of FSO..

IMEX .. in my previoius company we alwasy state in the FSO :
" We plain to increase competitveness food handler by training and the objective is minimum ± 6 hours / employee / year (sorry i forget for the number)"

OK.. Thats my Opinion...

And the proof of the pudding is that investment into employee education programmes can be measured by the number of nonconformities found during various audits and from customer complaints etc.

Regards,
Simon

Thanked by 1 Member:

HZT-MYANMAR

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Myanmar
    Myanmar
  • Interests:In our company, We all tried to maintain the ISO22000-2005 Standard. At the same time we would try for getting BRC (issued-6) Certification. (Since Our products is low risk products and they were intended to export to international market segments.)

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:56 PM

Thank you all ,
I have to try this advices . But I wanna tell U that we must do the analysic to input to the managemant review .
Right ? So every objective need to SMART . But some problem were fourd on this soft skill .In this forum , somewhere ,
I found it as " Mental Hazard is Fourth " .
So very difficult to promote them . How can I do ?
I was prepare the each related procedure , WI , Form , Manual ....what the requirements of ISO22000 .
But they don't like to implement that .So , I change the trend of my method .. Another way is OBJECTIVE .
I recognized that & set that . But this " Soft Skill ( Attitude )also being form as the obstical with alternated picture.
Woh........
Innovator may crazy , right ?
Anyhow ... Thank you all .

HZT-MYANMAR

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users