Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:42 PM

Hi we have just started working towards FSSC 22000 certification. One of the things I need to prepare is a financial analysis to justify cost vs. benefits. Can anyone tell me what are the major cost factors, please?

Thank you

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

I can provide a few general comments however, it very depends on the people resources and skills you have 'in house', how fit for purpose your factory is already, and the size and location of your business.

Cost in terms of time, effort and money could include:

- consultancy costs
- training time and costs
- upgrades to infrastructure
- new equipment
- certification costs
- time of internal staff during system development project

Possible benefits include:

- meet legal requirements
- meet customer requirements
- win new business
- provide safe food
- stimulate process improvement
- reduce waste

Hope this helps to get you started.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Kay Begum

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

Hi Simon,

Cheers a lot for the response - it really helps!

I think we are in pretty good shape in terms of factory-fitness and having most programs and compliance procedures & docs in place.

We may not need any equipmet or infrastructure upgrades.

I was also hoping to do it without the consultation bit, but since we are hoping to get the certification for both our facilities (California and Kentucky) simultaneously, that probably would be the trickiest part. I have just started, and still learning about the requirements. How hard would it be to try it without any outside consultation?

Cheers again
Kay

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hi Simon,

Cheers a lot for the response - it really helps!

I think we are in pretty good shape in terms of factory-fitness and having most programs and compliance procedures & docs in place.

We may not need any equipmet or infrastructure upgrades.

I was also hoping to do it without the consultation bit, but since we are hoping to get the certification for both our facilities (California and Kentucky) simultaneously, that probably would be the trickiest part. I have just started, and still learning about the requirements. How hard would it be to try it without any outside consultation?

Cheers again
Kay

Unless you are a special human I would think you would find it very difficult to do two simultaneously. So you can either use a consultant or personally I would use the same Food Safety Team Leader to do both. The reason being doing ‘in house’ will get better buy in, both systems will be similar and actually the second implementation should take a lot less time than the first.

As Confucius once said. - he (or she) who chases two rabbits catches none. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Vimsow

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

Hi Kay,

Just came across your post while I was searching for some guidance on how to start prepping for FSSC 22000 certification.

Can you share your experience on obtaining FSSC 22000 certification without an external consultant? I would like to know if it is possible.

Any inputs will be helpful.

Thank you,

Cheers,

Vimala

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:19 PM

Hi Kay,

Just came across your post while I was searching for some guidance on how to start prepping for FSSC 22000 certification.

Can you share your experience on obtaining FSSC 22000 certification without an external consultant? I would like to know if it is possible.

Any inputs will be helpful.

Thank you,

Cheers,

Vimala

Hi Vimala,

Note that this was a 9 - year old thread although the OP is still occasionally around.

However other people may have input/experience ??

Personally i would think the answer depends (eg Post 2) on Yr product / process / Capabilities / Resources, etc

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Vimsow

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hi Charles,

You are right, maybe I should have started a new thread. Anyways, just hoping to get some inputs from other experts as well.

We import bulk beans, lentils and spices and repackage at our facility. we do import other prepackaged shelf stable food for distribution.

Our facility has a pretty big well maintained warehouse for dry storage, a freezer, packaging unit. I maintain receiving, shipping logs, metal detector logs, sanitation schedule and other PRPS as well.

Thank you,

Cheers,

Vimala

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

Hi Charles,

You are right, maybe I should have started a new thread. Anyways, just hoping to get some inputs from other experts as well.

We import bulk beans, lentils and spices and repackage at our facility. we do import other prepackaged shelf stable food for distribution.

Our facility has a pretty big well maintained warehouse for dry storage, a freezer, packaging unit. I maintain receiving, shipping logs, metal detector logs, sanitation schedule and other PRPS as well.

Thank you,

Cheers,

Vimala

Hi Vimala,

Initially you might usefully scan the fssc/iso222000 forums. I anticipate yr query has been asked before.

As I understand from this Forum, Canada/CFIA has a highly intensive FS setup already which i presume you are (somewhere) certified within.

Not sure if you have studied the FSSC22000 related standards already ?

FSSC22000 may require you learning a "new" HACCP, ie iso-haccp which introduces OPRP. The details / implementation are extensively discussed on this Forum in a multitude of Posts. Yr Process offhand sounds relatively Low Risk so maybe not too difficult.

The basic MS documentation is, in Principle, iso9000-derived so ease of implementation might relate to what exists in yr current setup.

IMEX, any/every FS Standard has numerous of its own Quirks.

I deduce you would like to get certification without any professional input / courses. As noted that depends on your existing "XYZ" but, based on many threads here, is usually (FS "generically") not recommended.

PS - the usual initial recommendation is to get the Standard and do a Gap Analysis (examples exist on this Forum). This then indicates how much you may have to (further) do.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Vimsow

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:22 PM

Charles, Thanks for all the inputs. Just one more question, Where can I get FSSC 22000 standards In Canada?

Cheers,

Vimala

infoiqc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

The ISO parts of the standard can be purchased from the ISO store