• 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:22 AM

Dear all,

For those who are in Europe and have been certified to HACCP - are you considering converting to ISO 22000 particularly so when it is inevitable to become EN ISO 22000 (without any expected changes to the ISO Standard). You may want to refer to CEN Draft Version of ISO 22000 for its adoption to be mirrored as an EU Food Safety Standard.

For those who are OUT of Europe but exports to the region, I do not think you have a choice but start looking seriously at converting to ISO 22000.

While, BRC, IFS etc are privately controlled standards, HACCP is really but nothing more than just a food safety guidelines complying to CODEX................as such it is NOT a standard hence no audit standard apart from proprietary audit checklists.

However, ISO 22000 is different. It sets a harmonized approach to implementation as well as a a common audit standard (ISO 220003 - soon to be released)

I reckon the decision to move forward is a simple one and I truly believe BRC is going out of the windows. (I was told that IFS is taking some actions for its standard to be in line with ISO 22000 - whatever that means)
But for sure, McDonalds Europe is taking the lead to embrace it.

More interesting developments expected over the next 6 months when EN ISO 22000 is set to happen.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:04 AM

I reckon the decision to move forward is a simple one and I truly believe BRC is going out of the windows. (I was told that IFS is taking some actions for its standard to be in line with ISO 22000 - whatever that means). But for sure, McDonalds Europe is taking the lead to embrace it.

You seem very certain Charles; but what if the UK retailers are happy with the BRC Global Standards, do they really care what is going on in the rest of the world. Remember they played a part in writing the BRC standards and as such they are tailored perfectly to provide them with their due diligence. Does anyone know if any UK retailers were represented on the Working Group that developed ISO 22000:2005? It would be interesting to get a view from some of the UK retailers.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:33 AM

Simon,
You may say that ISO 22000 was championed by the EU and in actual fact, it is a merger of two different approaches to FSM i.e. the USA promoted HACCP while EU promoted ISO 9K with ISO 15161 for the food industry.........today, your guess is as good as mine.

If we still maintain BRC or IFS, then whats the point of pushing for EN ISO 22000 to be a EU Food Safety Standard particularly so when the latter is more prescriptive than the former.

On the other hand, I can see the implications of EN ISO 22000 against other national standards such as i.e. Thailand FDA or Malaysian DVS VHM-HACCP Schemes etc which are almost certain to be made redundant by virtue of this fact. On expiry fo their EU Import Approval Number, I would expect all organizations to scramble to "upgrade" to match EN ISO 22K by adopting ISO 22K (for the simple reason that there is no difference between the two and you may say, deliberately so).

IMO, this is my anticipation of how the market would react once the impact of Draft EN ISO is officially confirmed as a National standard. Well, I am opened to be shot down by anyone who does not share the same view. Any other possibilities apart from status quo!

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users