- - - - -

Boicey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:09 PM

Hi, this is my first posting and can I say having read some of the info on the forums I am so relieved to find there is so much help available.

I have just begun working for a plastic packaging company, we produce in-label moulded containers.
I am new to the food pkg industry, previously worked in engineering plastic companies and have xperiene with ISO9000 QMS.

Forgive the stupid question, but how do you determine a CAT A as opposed to CAT B ?

I would also like to know if you need a written procedure to cover every clause in the BRC/IOP technical standard? :helpplease:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:23 PM

Forgive the stupid question, but how do you determine a CAT A as opposed to CAT B ?

I would also like to know if you need a written procedure to cover every clause in the BRC/IOP technical standard? :helpplease:

Have you got a copy of the Standard? If not you'll need a copy. If so there is a decision tree in there that allows you to determine what category you are. In answer to your second question no you don't need a procedure for every clause.

No need to panic Boicey you'll soon get up to speed and we'll support you all we can.

Welcome to the forums. :beer:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Boicey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

Have you got a copy of the Standard? If not you'll need a copy. If so there is a decision tree in there that allows you to determine what category you are. In answer to your second question no you don't need a procedure for every clause.

No need to panic Boicey you'll soon get up to speed and we'll support you all we can.

Welcome to the forums. :beer:

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,
I've ordered Issue 2 of the standard, which should arrive later this week hopefully. Thanx for your offer of support- Its really appreciated.

I've been tasked to take the company through to accreditation in 6 months, from now. Hopefully this is a realistic timescale.

Any hints on where/how I should start the process?

Cheers
Boicey

Edited by Boicey, 01 October 2005 - 07:38 PM.

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:08 PM

Any hints on where/how I should start the process?

Boicey.

I was in a similar position to yourself and 'awarded' the BRC/IOP project 2 years ago. If you have a look at the contents page of the standard when you get it you will be faced with a list of clauses, what I did was use this as a kind of checklist . Get together all the procedures, systems and supporting documentation for each of the main clauses as listed. For each main clause have a read of the sub-clauses, requirements etc and see if any existing procedures you have will enable you to satisfy the clause of the standard. Some procedures may have to be tweaked or re-written but you may be suprised at how many procedures are already in place in your company. A good example is ISO 9001, an up to date system that meets this standard will cover many of the clauses of the BRC standard with relevance to doccument control, customer complaints, etc. Gather all of the useful procedures together in order of the corresponding parts of the standard ( the contents page again) and this can be the basis for your Technical manual as required in Section 4.

Try to find the simplest solution to meet every clause, and don't be swayed too much by what you have heard others are doing, do what is right for YOUR situation. you don't get any extra points for adopting complicated and costly solutions.

And of course the best advice of all, anything you are not sure about - ASK, theres always someone in a company ( or on Saferpak ! ) who knows something about a subject you don't

Hope this is of some use, it worked for me. Best of Luck !!

Martin.

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:42 PM

Boicey as Martin says, first you need to carry out a gap analysis of your companies current system against the requirements of the Standard. Follow the link below and you will find an example HACCP manual, some example procedures and a gap analysis checklist. Please note the checklist was written for verison 1 of the Standard so it may need a little tweaking.

http://www.saferpak....hp?showtopic=83

Martin has provided you with lot's of sound advice for getting started. :thumbup:

Let us know when you have further questions.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Boicey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

My thanks to Martin and to you Simon. Once I've got the standard I'll be in touch. :spoton:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users