Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

Just had our BRC audit and we had a minor for not having a certificate of conformity for a tumbler. The compnay that made it is out of business so I hvae no hope of getting one so what is the "other evidence" refered to in the standard and how do I go about getting it.
regards
John

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

Just had our BRC audit and we had a minor for not having a certificate of conformity for a tumbler. The compnay that made it is out of business so I hvae no hope of getting one so what is the "other evidence" refered to in the standard and how do I go about getting it.
regards
John

It's your lucky day Lanser. I found a document on the BRC website with the authoritative answer:

015 Clause 4.5.3 requires equipment to be suitable for food use where appropriate – I can’t obtain a certificate of conformity for machinery we’ve had on site for years, what can I do? The requirement is designed to ensure that manufacturers are complying with relevant legislation, for example the EU ‘Materials and articles intended to come into contact with food Regulation 1935/2004’ and that such materials do not constitute a hazard to food. General principles should be to use approved suppliers known to supply products designed for food use. All new food contact equipment should be purchased with a certificate of conformity or specification detailing its suitability for food use, this may also be confirmed by a symbol or label on the product. Where this evidence is not available, then a risk assessment should be carried out to justify its use and determine that it is not a food safety risk. The risk assessment should consider factors such as , the nature of the food contact surface material and its known characteristics e.g. stainless steel is known to be a food grade material; length of contact time with the food and the nature of the food and its potential for contamination e.g. fatty foods may be more at risk from migration of contaminants from a plastic container for example. Further clarification should be sought e.g. from equipment manufacturer or testing such as migration tests where required.

Full document - BRC Food Standard Frequently Asked Question

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Lanser

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 69 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for that Simon, didnt think to check the BRC site :oops:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for that Simon, didnt think to check the BRC site :oops:

Hey no problem John I'm glad to be of assistance. If nothing else I'm a good searcher.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Rex

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

It's your lucky day Lanser. I found a document on the BRC website with the authoritative answer:

Full document - BRC Food Standard Frequently Asked Question

Regards,
Simon

Which a good way to assessed the risk of food manufacture if the effective certificate of eupiment used in the production is unavailable.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

Which a good way to assessed the risk of food manufacture if the effective certificate of eupiment used in the production is unavailable.

Can you bit a little more specific with your question Rex.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

Hi Rex

Try using this COP I 199 kindly posted by caz

http://www.ifsqn.com...st&id=923<br />
Regards,

Tony :smile:

Allsafe

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hello John,
All you need to do is a risk assessment which will take the form of:
Production equipment: Tumbler
Product in contact with surface: Meat (I presume)
Contact time: ??
Hazard Level: Low
Control measure: Food contact surface 316 stainless steel.
Notes: 316 stainless steel is considered food grade material.,

We normally produce this for all production equipment, conveyors and even packaging scoops & gloves have been picked up but some auditors under this section. Keep on file any certificates to confirm food grade you can get.

We have done this for all clients and all I am pleased to say are A grade.

Regards,
Russell.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

All you need to do is a risk assessment which will take the form of:
Production equipment: Tumbler
Product in contact with surface: Meat (I presume)
Contact time: ??
Hazard Level: Low
Control measure: Food contact surface 316 stainless steel.
Notes: 316 stainless steel is considered food grade material.,

We normally produce this for all production equipment, conveyors and even packaging scoops & gloves have been picked up but some auditors under this section. Keep on file any certificates to confirm food grade you can get.

:rolleyes: :wacko: :thumbdown: :beam: :blahblah: :bop: :bye: :roflmao: :yeahrite:

Hi Rex

Like I said before try using this COP I 199 kindly posted by caz

http://www.ifsqn.com...st&id=923<br />
Regards,

Tony :smile:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:29 AM

Dear All,

Actually, I'm not sure it was a question. Perhaps just an affirmation. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

Each time we get a new piece of kit, i ask for a letter of conformity that basically says that the kit was fitted hygienically, is constructed of the appropriate materials and that commission work was carried out as per our protocols and thus found to be satisfactory.

Caz x

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users