• IFSQN Member
  • 186 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hello again people!

I am currently thinking where to apply for my postgraduate studies and I have some doubts. I would like to announce my doubts here in public so that anyone with experience and knowledge could give me some advice or guidance in order to make the "best" choice.

I will apply in several universities but my main targe is Wageningen University which is one of the leading universities in Food Technology in Europe and there are 2 MSc's that interest me.

A) The European Master Degree in Food Studies where I get to study in 4 different univerities and have an extended industrial internship + thesis in one major Food Company (like Nestle, Unilever, Tetrapak etc). This MSc is directed mostly for management/R&D positions in the industrial sector with a first salary of ~2000 euros.
- Advantages (in my opinion): I get a degree with great status, I get to study in Ireland, in France, in Sweden and in the Netherlands in very good universities, I will probably get a position in a major Food Company with a very good salary/
- Disadvantages (in my opinion): Really tight and demanding schedule + constant mobility in different countries which might complicate/hinder my studies. The industrial sector doens't really interest me that much (I guess...).

B) The Food Ingridient Functionality Master where I ll get to study "only" in the Wageningen University. This Master interests me more because I want to follow a carreer/research/PhD focused in Food Nanotechnology and this Master is more suitable for this (as one of the professors that I contacted, informed me). The thing is that I don't know if this field (Food Nanotech) is going to grow in the future or not. Its seems like a risk... but I definately prefer research on this field than working in a food industry and living a routine (nomatter how good the salary is).
- Advanages: I wont have to move every 2-3 months in different countries and I will be more focused in my studies (I guess). I will be able to make an internship and/or Thesis in a related topic to Nanotechnology.
- Disadvantages: ...all the advantages of the A) option.

I think I will go for the B) option since I believe that one should do what he loves more in order to be happy in his life and OK with himself. But I would really like some 2nd and 3rd opinions especially when those come from experienced people.

Thank you in advance people!
Filip

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:53 AM

dear Filip.. I agree with B option.. FYI NOnotech in food product today and future must be become hot topic in industry area..today many product had applicated nanotech e.c Nano Calcium in milk, antimicrobial agent in packaging, etc..

so.. I think B is the best option.. but the most important is follow your heart...hope you success withyour choice

rgds

AS NUR

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:19 AM

Hi Filip,

On one hand, option A gives you the chance to go to many places and can broaden your view in the Food Industry, like what's hot at the moment and what's not workable. You will also be exposed to many processes like QC, Product Development/Creation, Analytical, Application, Research&Development, etc, giving you a wide and general view of the different Food Industres. If you are not sure of your future yet, this is one way to go and find out which part interests you more, so you can focus on that later on.

On the otherhand, option B, like you already mentioned, is a very specialized field. I agree with AS NUR that Nano technology is currently very hot in the food industry, and may continue to be for a long time. Flavors, natural colorings, Vitamins, Minerals, even polymer composites are going Nano these days. Since you already have an interest in this field, this might be the better option of the two for you. But you need to be VERY sure of it, or it may spell disaster for you...

Good luck and all the best to your choice of study! :smarty:

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

SaRaRa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 186 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

Thank you very much for your kind response!!!

I still have a couple of months left to consider better my options!!!
Cheers!

Filip

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:52 AM

Thank you very much for your kind response!!!

I still have a couple of months left to consider better my options!!!
Cheers!

Filip

I cannot advise but whatever you choose to do I wish you the very best of luck Filip. Please tell us what your final choice is and keep us up to date with your studies.

Regards,
simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SaRaRa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 186 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

Thank you people for your advices!

I am currently in the marine corps (obligatory for all Greek men to serve in the Greek army) and thus my free time is quite limited!

I already send some application to some universities. And I still have to send many more... Time will tell!

Thanx again for your support!
Filip

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:44 AM

Filip

I would take option A - sounds fantastic.

You only live once, University isn't just about education and you can still work in your area of interest if you have a relevant qualification.

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users