• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm just wondering if is it necessary to be a graduate of microbiology or any related sciences to pursue a career in the food safety industry as an ISO 22000 auditor? I'm currently a business management graduate but I'm aiming to pursue a career as stated above.

If you have anything to say, please feel free to comment or share your ideas.
Thank you!

-Harvey C.

tomorrowguy

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Korea - South
    Korea - South

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:57 AM

Dear Harvey :rolleyes:

I'm just wondering if is it necessary to be a graduate of microbiology or any related sciences to pursue a career in the food safety industry as an ISO 22000 auditor? I'm currently a business management graduate but I'm aiming to pursue a career as stated above.

If you would like to be FSMS(ISO 22000) auditor, you should need the folowing competence in my location.;
1. Academic background : General microbiology or General chemics etc
2. Work experience on Food chain industry
3. Food safety training which included HACCP principal, risk element and analysis etc
and PRPs, Food safety management pricipal, ISO 19011(Auitor training course include these)
4. Audit experience

The above competence is a little differnce each country but it may almost same.

muffin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:00 AM

Thanks tomorrow guy!

I was thinking that yeah, it helps if one is a graduate of microbiology or related courses but I'm way off course. I'm a graduate of business mgt. particularly in the manufacturing. Is there still hope for me to be an FSMS auditor? :mellow:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:41 AM

Dear muffin,

Delicious name BTW !!

The detailed experience requirements are available on some of the auditor company websites if you look around a bit. And yes, it certainly helps to hv relevant knowledge when auditing or inspecting anything. I once worked in a clam company and the official veterinarian auditing the process commented that as far as he was concerned it could just as well be a sausage line. How to lose yr credibility without really trying. :thumbdown:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

muffin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:53 AM

Wow Charles, you have boosted me with a lot of encouragement and strength to pursue. Thank you! :biggrin:

What I need now is experience to gain credibility. My question is finally answered. Thank you all! :thumbup:

FSSM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 207 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

Dear Harvey C.,

Please look at the attached document at page 10. It talks about requirements for auditors of FSSC 22000, I think you can take that into consideration.

Attached File  partII.pdf   194.72KB   63 downloads

Regards,

FSSM

muffin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:47 AM

Thank You FSSM for the additional info. :smile:

Guess I should contact the agency that will conduct the training if I am eligible for the certification.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

Hi everyone!

If you have anything to say, please feel free to comment or share your ideas.
Thank you!

-Harvey C.

I wouldn't have thought it essential, but it would be useful. A good auditor should be able to audit any system against the standard, regardless of educational background.

Do you have any auditing experience / qualifications? might be helpful to have Lead Auditor or something similar. Also if you look at the companies who do auditing, and see if they have any job oppurtunities. they would then train you.

good luck!

caz x

muffin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:46 AM

Hi caz!

I still don't have any auditing experiences but my brother who took a certification on internal auditing without any experience was successful. He's now the head of audit of a big company here in the Philippines and ever since the day he was employed by the company, he didn't receive any training from experienced auditors at all because at that time, he was the first auditor the company had employed. Although he's in a different field because he's into auditing accounts rather than auditing food safety, I don't find it that different when you asked me caz that do I have the experience. :o

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

Hi caz!

I still don't have any auditing experiences but my brother who took a certification on internal auditing without any experience was successful. He's now the head of audit of a big company here in the Philippines and ever since the day he was employed by the company, he didn't receive any training from experienced auditors at all because at that time, he was the first auditor the company had employed. Although he's in a different field because he's into auditing accounts rather than auditing food safety, I don't find it that different when you asked me caz that do I have the experience. :o

Auditing accounts is completely different to auditing food safety!
Chances are your brother is an accountant or was involved closely with accounts in the first instance.

If you were to visit my site to audit, with no experience, training or knowledge, i'd be sending you away and asking the audit company who sent you, why they had sent you. I'd probably never use that audit company again.

That's the criteria that I, and i would hazard a guess, most of my compatriots in the UK would adopt.

muffin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

Calm down. :dunno:

I wasn't planning to do audits without experience. Who would?
I was only asking for opinions to have a broader idea on how I can achieve what I want and the way still is to gain enough experience and build credibility.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

Dear muffin,

Well.., strictly Caz is absolutely right and also speaking from a position of considerable, hard-earned, strength. :smile:

However it is not totally unknown IMEX that a factory, particularly with a few skeletons in the wooden cupboards, welcome an under-informed auditor with very open arms indeed. Not to forget a well stocked luncheon table. Have at different times found myself on both sides of such a scenario. Not that I am recommending it as a general principle of course. :whistle:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

To audit against the BRC the following criteria has to be met.

• Auditor shall have a food related or bioscience degree OR completed a HE course.
  • A minimum of 5 years post qualification experience relating to the food industry, working in quality assurance or a food safety function.
  • must be registered as a Lead Assessor or BRC third Party Course
  • Completed a HACCP course that is recognised by the industry.

The qualifications for ISO22000 auditing has already been addressed in this forum

http://www.ifsqn.com...?showtopic=4044

Caz

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

To audit against the BRC the following criteria has to be met.

• Auditor shall have a food related or bioscience degree OR completed a HE course.
  • A minimum of 5 years post qualification experience relating to the food industry, working in quality assurance or a food safety function.
  • must be registered as a Lead Assessor or BRC third Party Course
  • Completed a HACCP course that is recognised by the industry.

The qualifications for ISO22000 auditing has already been addressed in this forum

http://www.ifsqn.com...?showtopic=4044

Caz

In addition to Caz's comments GFSI is even more prescriptive:

7.5 Auditor Qualifications, Training, Experience and Competencies
Auditors conducting assessment meet the capabilities described in ISO 19001 and ISO 22003.
7.5.1 Qualification/Education Requirements
A degree in a food related or bioscience discipline, or as a minimum, have successfully completed a food related or bioscience higher education course or equivalent.
Auditors currently conducting audits are not required to meet these qualifications provided they can demonstrate competence in the role.
7.5.2 Total Work Experience
5 years full time experience in the food industry including at least 2 years work in areas such as quality assurance or food safety functions within food production or manufacturing, retailing, inspection or enforcement or the equivalent.
This may be reduced to a total of 2 years experience if the competence of the auditor is assessed by an examination including:
- General Knowledge of the scheme
- Knowledge of relevant legislative requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of specific food processes
- Understanding of quality assurance, quality management and HACCP principles
7.5.3. Formal Auditor Training
Auditors shall have successfully completed recognised training in auditing techniques based on QMS or FSMS 40 hours or equivalent
Successfully completed a training course in HACCP 2 days, or equivalent
Successfully completed training in the Standard
7.5.4 Initial Training
A training programme for each auditor will incorporate:
- an assessment of knowledge and skills of fields of evaluation
- an assessment of knowledge of food safety, HACCP, Pre-Requisite Programmes and relevant laws and regulations
- a period of supervised training to cover the assessment of quality management systems and HACCP, specific audit techniques and specific category knowledge
- a documented sign off of the satisfactory completion of the training programme by the appointed supervisor
7.5.6 Audit Experience
Initial Audit Experience
Auditors must have successfully completed a period of supervised training in practical assessment through 10 audits or 15 audit days.
Maintain Audit Experience
The CB must have in place an annual programme with sign off for auditor re-approval.
7.5.7 Continued Training
The auditor must be kept up to date with category best practice, have access to and be able to apply relevant laws and regulations.
7.5.8 Attributes and Competencies
The Certification Body must ensure auditors conduct themselves in a professional manner. Examples of required behaviour:
- Ethical
- Open minded
- Diplomatic
- Observant
- Perceptive
- Versatile
- Tenacious
- Decisive
- Self reliant
- Integrity

Not sure how many auditor would meet the required behaviour criteria :rolleyes:

Regards,

Tony

Yoli

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hi guys:
Do you know the names of relevant audit companies in Europe? :helpplease:
Thanks!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

Hi guys:
Do you know the names of relevant audit companies in Europe? :helpplease:
Thanks!

I guess so but for which standard?

Regards,

Tony

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

To pursue a career in food safety:

According to me a science background with min. high school/intermediate or graduate (microbiology, chemistry, biotechnology or biology) or above with sound knowledge of food and preservation and knowledge of good hygiene and manufacturing practices,

followed by few training courses one or more :
food hygiene - basic, intermediate and advanced, haccp implementation, iso 22000 awareness, internal & external auditor training, etc.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users