- - - - -

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:20 PM

Hello everybody

Imagine you own a porcine cutting plant. You receive boxes of meat into pallets ( raw material ).
During the process, the meat from each pallets is clasified to go to three types of final product.

Does the standard ( ISO 9001 / ISO 22000 / BRC ) specify something about how strict the traceability must be ?

Must it be to do reference to the pallet ? the receiving date ? the production date ?

Please if you have problems to understand what I meant tell me and I will try to explain myself better, I am just in an hurry now.

Thank you

REgards

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:15 AM

Pallet numbering is important especially when you have on-going receival of meat coming in daily and meat input for production must be registered to indicate source. The problem may arise from bundling of raw materials (often unintentionally) and when that happens, traceability is screwed. So alot depends on your system structure but the best way to test traceability is to do a mock exercise.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

Pallet numbering is important especially when you have on-going receival of meat coming in daily and meat input for production must be registered to indicate source. The problem may arise from bundling of raw materials (often unintentionally) and when that happens, traceability is screwed. So alot depends on your system structure but the best way to test traceability is to do a mock exercise.

Hello Charles

Thank you very much.

So I unsderstand that any of the standars does not specify anything about it ? Can it happen that the auditor is not agree with your level of traceability ?

Regards

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:10 AM

So I unsderstand that any of the standars does not specify anything about it ? Can it happen that the auditor is not agree with your level of traceability ?

There will be a standard for food traceability named ISO 22005.
Currently there is only a draft and it has not been published yet.
ISO 22000 press release

BTW auditors may always disagree and usually do disagree :crybaby: it's their job.
Our job is to explain them the reasons of our decisions.

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:03 AM

Dear Esther,

The general clause in the BRC version 4 is "2.13 The company shall have a system, which has the ability to trace and follow all raw materials (including primary packaging materials) from source through all stages of processing and distribution of the finished product to the customer".

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:56 AM

Esther
As Yorky has indicated what really is needed covers front and back end tracing. As such, once a mock exercise is performed and the ability to demostrate to the auditor that the resp. persons have the ability and the traceability system is effective supported by appropriate documentations - hoe can the auditor disagree :clap: Indicating the response time taken to complete the risk assessment i.e. Mock P. Recall would really be hitting the nail in.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:06 AM

ISO DIS 22005:2005 has been published DIS 22005:2005 news

Edited by Franco, 14 November 2005 - 07:06 AM.

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:24 PM

ISO DIS 22005:2005 has been published DIS 22005:2005 news

Hello Franco

It has been a long time since my last participation! Sorry for my delay to reply.

Thank you for for answers. One of your answer makes me link this another new topic. Please go to the new topic I am going suggest. I am sure your opinion will be of interest.

Sorry. I almost forgot: the title of the new topic will be: Recomendation/advice on CB

Regards

Dear Esther,

The general clause in the BRC version 4 is "2.13 The company shall have a system, which has the ability to trace and follow all raw materials (including primary packaging materials) from source through all stages of processing and distribution of the finished product to the customer".

HEllo Yorkshire

So I can interpretate that as " the primary packaging material lot " or " the primary packaging material received on X date " or " the primary packaging material belonging to X pallet " . Is that it ?

Regards

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users